PDA

View Full Version : Your Christmas Hobby Haul

SotonShades
12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Ho Ho Ho and deck the halls with Devlan Mud,

Well, we have seen what the very lucky eldargirl got this year, but lets hear what the rest of you Festive BoLSers found under your trees and in your power armoured stockings!

I, unfortunately, didn't get get a single shred of a GW product this year. I did however get a good few pennies which have gone straight to GW's coffers. So here are my (slightly belated) christmas presents;
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7175/6582993141_0d04905b97.jpg

My christmas money got me Dreadfleet, Imperial Armour Apocolypse Second Edition, The Emperor's Will, Horus Heresy; Collected Visions, Deliverence Lost and Garro; Legion of One. My local GW celebrated having been closed for christmas and boxing day by holding AWESOME TUESDAY which involved, aside from a huge amount of free chocolates, biscuits and cakes, a few auctions for display models they needed to get rid of to make room for new stock coming in soon, a raffle (you only got tickets for every £10 you spent) and presents for everyone who made a purchase. I managed to get an old metal Castallan Crowe blister pack and a metal Krootox.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7172/6582998269_81b3820400.jpg
At the auction, despite being outbid for several painted display armies (including a 2000 or so point ork force which went for £60 and a 1000 point Deamon force that only went for £20... why did I run out of money? lol) I did manage to snap up a lovely Ork Battlefortress. Admittedly it does need a little TLC (or a good whack with the Meks Tools) but it's made from two Baneblades and I bought it for a whopping £3. Not a typo; Three Pounds sterling! I think I'm on to a winner there.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6583004883_f0ceda8484.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6583009325_cc1a2a07a6.jpg

You may also have spotting a copy of Space Hulk in my first pic; well that was my LGS's display copy and (aside from the rule books) had everything still inside and fully painted. Here is a sample of the work. A few of you may know that I was trying to get the Space Hulk Terminators from my own Space Hulk set painted before christmas. Well I didn't quite manage that, but I do now have a fully painted set just two days later lol. Ok, I know that's cheating, but let me off... It is christmas after all.

So that was me, what did everyone else manage to get from Santa?

DarkLink
12-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I got ammo for my .40 Springfield XD, and an ultralight backpacking stove, and... oh, wait, wrong hobbies:rolleyes:.

CrimsonTurkey
12-27-2011, 02:54 PM
I got a $25 eBay gift card. With clever use of already purchased plasticard, some bits, and some old resing casting supplies this will turn magically into three sleek stormravens that will be the envy of all.

fuzzbuket
12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
a box of finecast warp spiders and the 'eavy metal masterclass'

warp spiders were a good cast: with only minor air bubbles needing fixed. the sculpts are looking a tad dated though: still im not complaining

and the eavy metal book is AMAZING: its full of cool stuff!

also skyrim and turtlebeach headset: so less painty time :P

scadugenga
12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I got ammo for my .40 Springfield XD, and an ultralight backpacking stove, and... oh, wait, wrong hobbies:rolleyes:.

I'm a huge fan of the Springfield XD...though I was talked into the .45 version over the .40.

Such a lovely weapon...and almost half the price of the H&K I was oggling too.

wittdooley
12-27-2011, 05:35 PM
This year was really nice for me. Certainly much better than I probably deserve. I thought it was a GREAT haul until I saw EG's ridiculousness, but here goes:

Blu Rays---
Clone Wars Season 3
Captain America
Kung Fu Panda 2
Stardust

2 dress shirts
Loads of socks (was really hurting for them too!)
Various K-Cups
3 or 4 bottles of vino
Lego Arc Fighter
$100 to a steakhouse (for the wife and I)
$30 to Outback
Mass Effect 1&2 for 360
Force Unleashed 1&2 for 360

Books---
The Red Duke - CL Warner
Aurelion (already finished; awesome)
Goliath - Scott Westerfeld (signed no less!)
Chapters Dues -graham McNeil
Gildar Rift - Sarah Calkwell
Android: FreeFall - William Keith

Oh yeah, and the gaming stuff:

Leopolt the Black
Manaans Blades & Command
Hoffman Starter (Malifaux)
Ramos Starter (Malifaux)
Mechanical Rider (Malifaux)
Dust Tactics Heavy Assault Walker
Dust Tactics Heavy Panzer Walker
Quarriors Rise of the Demons
Ticket to Ride: Asia (I think my wife bought this for herself)
Candy & Cola (soda pop)
Fiametta (soda pop)
Claustrophobia De Profundis
GW Jabberscythe
GW giant

And... A Warhound Titan (which completely flabbergasted me and there is no way I deserve)

A nice Christmas over 4 days. I'm blessed to have such a loving and giving group of family and friends.

scadugenga
12-27-2011, 06:03 PM
That's a pretty fantastic haul, Wiit.

Though it's important to remember that our intoxicating lady Autarch is money with a capital "M."

She's a few orders of magnitude different from the rest of us in that regard. :)

With my little one at the age where he now understands something is special about xmas--our spending habits changed a bit. ;)

I snagged a new hard drive (finally!) That I'm *still* uploading "important updates" to Windows for...(ugh)

SWTOR. My wife must have been feeling off that day. She is not a fan of MMO games. Or more specifically, the time involved with me playing them. ;)

A new sword from my sister. Unknown maker's mark/era, unfortunately. I'd say it was a show-piece stainless wall-hanger, but the balance point is just too perfect for it to be decoration. Research is in order.

The little-un, otoh, racked in the big score. So. Many. Noise-making. Things.

Perhaps I need a new set of earplugs for New Year's...

DarkLink
12-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Springfield XD...though I was talked into the .45 version over the .40.

Such a lovely weapon...and almost half the price of the H&K I was oggling too.

It's pretty nice, for a very good price. Unfortunately I live in Kalifornia, where the gun laws are retarded. So much so that many companies, Springfield included, have decided to stop producing alternative firearms designed to meet the overly restrictive gun laws. Thus, the new XDm is illegal so I was stuck with an older XD. Not a huge deal, but the XDm has a bit nicer grip, some nice features and the mags hold more ammo.

Needless to say, I probably won't live in California when I settle down. Maybe I'll go with everyone else leaving here and move to Texas, where they don't try and regulate businesses and citizens to insanity.

scadugenga
12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Ah, the XDm was what I was referring to in .45. Doh.

That's what I get for trying to post while reinstalling every last bit of software on my 'puter.

Cali has too many crazy restrictions, yes. I'm guessing it's the mag size that kills the XDm for you in C?

Having 13 .45 rounds in the mag is just crazy. :) The 19 in a mag for 9mm is mind boggling. ;)

Did you see they're producing the 5.25" models too? Pretty much just for competition though.

wittdooley
12-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Jealous of all of you that can play SWTOR. My PC won't run it.

DarkLink
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Cali has too many crazy restrictions, yes. I'm guessing it's the mag size that kills the XDm for you in C?

Exactly. So instead I got the 5" XD Tactical. Good starting handgun, since basically all my shooting experience is with skeet.

scadugenga
12-27-2011, 10:59 PM
I played for about an hour tonight. It's big monkey fun.

Of course, I had to go through removing a dead hard drive and replacing it on a micro-atx mobo.

Never. Effing. Again.

I am not wee. You need Liliputian hands to be able to do anything major on a micro atx board.

Oh, and the 421,487 "important" updates that needed to occur before I could think about doing anything like installing the damn game.

Bah. :)

Necron2.0
12-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Sixty US pounds of raw honey, and my daughter got me a new wallet (a good one too ... the kid's got taste). I also got a Necron Army ... or I will be getting it, as soon as I finish determining the exact composition of the army I want to build. My wife did get me the command barge, though, because she knew I'd at least want one of those.

I'm kinda hard to buy for, for Christmas. My economic means exceed both my needs and desires, so that I'm left with the conclusion that materialism is pointless. Lately I've been on a kick to divest myself of superfluous possessions.

eldargal
12-28-2011, 01:20 AM
Oh that bit is easy, the thought really is what counts as far as I'm concerned. The real problem is when friends start expecting increasingly valuable presents from you.

I'm kinda hard to buy for, for Christmas. My economic means exceed both my needs and desires, so that I'm left with the conclusion that materialism is pointless. Lately I've been on a kick to divest myself of superfluous possessions.

Wittdooley, what is the Clone Wars series like? Big SW fan but I skipped Clone Wars for some reason.

david5th
12-28-2011, 04:38 AM
IA 11 - Doom Of Mymeara : Parents.
Deliverance Lost Audiobook & Legion Of The Damned ebook : Bought using money from relatives.
2 x Hades Breaching Drills : Niece and nephew.
Rapier Laser Battery (3) : Sister & brother-in-law.

I don't think I did too bad considering the UK economy.

Brakkart
12-28-2011, 05:45 AM
I think I did well this year, I did not get much hobby stuff this year, but I like what I got:

Space Marine Attack Bike
Space Marine Bike (gonna need to get some more of these)
Imperial Armor: Apocalypse 2nd edition
Contemptor Dreadnought (with CC arm and Assault Cannon)

Blood of Aenerion hardback novel

plus non-hobby I got:

The Pacific dvd set
The Borgia's season 1 dvd set
Camelot season 1 dvd set
Captian America dvd
Couple shirts
Pants & socks
A dehumidifier egg thing
A litre of Biscotti flavour Baileys (which is unbelieveably good in coffee!)
A litre of Absolut vodka
A box of Jim Beam chocs
And lots of Oreo's (mmm love em)

Will have to wait for New Years Day to see if I get anything else, as my group of friends have a longstanding tradition to meet up then for a meal and exchange gifts, sort of a second mini-xmas. Since a load of my friends collect & play Warhammer 40,000 too, I'm hopeful I might get some hobby-related goodies then.

Update: Sadly I did not get anything further for my Space Marines, as friends got me 2 boxes of pre-painted D&D mini's instead. Very nice of them, but I already have more of those than I will ever use. Ahh well, will have to drop hints a bit better next time.

scadugenga
12-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Sixty US pounds of raw honey

That's a lot of honey...

Making mead?

wittdooley
12-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh that bit is easy, the thought really is what counts as far as I'm concerned. The real problem is when friends start expecting increasingly valuable presents from you.

Wittdooley, what is the Clone Wars series like? Big SW fan but I skipped Clone Wars for some reason.

It's good, honest, Star Wars fun, much more akin to the fun had in the original trilogy. I quite like it. There are certainly some stinker episodes, but overall I think it's a really fun series that takes the best part of the "new" trilogy (the Clone Wars, Jedi) and expands it into a series. I've heard some people that don't like the animation style, but I like it. It's one of the few TV series I own because I can watch it over and over again.

UltramarineFan
12-28-2011, 10:48 AM
In terms of hobby I got; Imperial Armour 10 (Badab War Part 2), IA Apocalypse Second Edition, Necron Command/Annihilation Barge, Necron Monolith, Chaos Space Marine Predator, Ogre Kingdoms Army book and £15 voucher

Sinistermind
12-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Star wars: the old republic collectors edition
and as part christmas part my birthday(september) gift from my girlfriend a mx14 alienware laptop
$100 in giftcards to Gamestop
$300 in visa giftcards(probly to be used towards 40k)

Necron2.0
12-29-2011, 04:01 AM
Sixty US pounds of raw honey

That's a lot of honey...

Making mead?

Yup. Metheglin, to be exact.

Doktor Porkov
12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
My Xmas miniature haul was in the form of Necrons, Necrons, Necrons.
I got two boxes of Necron Warriors, one box of Immortals/ Deathmarks and a box of Lychguard/ Praetorians.
The Immortals are being made into Deathmarks and I used some spare bits from the box (the gauss blasters) to turn one of my two Destroyers into a Heavy Destroyer - pictures are up on my blog. The L/P box is being used to make Lychguard and I have taken some spare bits to turn one regular Necron Warrior into a Cryptek.

templarboy
12-31-2011, 01:41 AM
My family never buys me 40k stuff anymore. They would buy the wrong thing every time. My wife once bought me an uber expensive acrylic paint set. The thick stuff in tubes. I'm sure if I was a portrait painter it would be great. The year I got my dremel tool, however, was great. Hearing my brother explain to my mother why I was not going to build and paint the box of Tau fire warriors she bought me was pretty painful. (I returned it and got a box of assault marines. ) I just ask for socks and underwear now.

eldargal
12-31-2011, 01:46 AM
You need to write little notes for situations like this:

"Dear Mummy,
Should you feel inclined to purchase Games Workshop products with the intent of gifting them to me at the forthcoming Christmas, please select only items from the following list to the price point you find agreeable:

etc.

Yr Obd Svt, insert name here

P.S. What is for dinner?'

wittdooley
12-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I can't stress to you enough the glory that is Google Chrome and the Add to Amazon Wishlist Widget.

BigGrim
12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Three Hornets, a Shadow Spectre squad with Exarch and a Wraithseer from Folks. Doom of Mymeara from myself.

warpcrafter
12-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Razorwing fighter
Talos
box of Hellions
box of Wracks
Two new in box OOP raiders

And the FFG Bloodbowl card game. Damn, it has a lot of fiddly bits for a card game. Fun though.

LOUIE.ROCKETFINGERS
12-31-2011, 10:37 PM
xmas rulez. got some good ig stuff

newtoncain
01-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Under the tree- Onion and a Stick
In my Stocking- lump of coal

Hotsauceman
01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Nothing sadly. I just got back into the hobby and my family didnt know :(
But i did get some cash i used to order a model for a special project. and some paint and a sculpting tol for that project.

woodenronin
01-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Recieved - IG Hellhound. 2 scratch built chimeras. (He did a great job, used a lot of resin.)
Gave- Finecast Huron Blackheart - Excellent model , no visible flaws.
Necron command barge.
Necron deathmarks/immortals.

Lockark
01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Useing my christmas money I ordered 100 mantic skeletons, and 60 of thier zombie from wayland. Just waiting for them to come in the mail now.

Demonus
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
LGS had 50% off sale on all items in stock. Spent $200 and got:

1 ghost arc
10 grey knights
10 chaos daemons
10 eldar guardians
1 drop pod
1 tac squad
1 assault squad
2 bottles of glue
2 old monster manuals for D&D 3.5
1 pair of snips
squad of orks for xmas present
squad of IG troops for Zombie conversion

2 days later I won our fantasy football pool and paid for it all +$75 :)

gf bought me GK Storm Raven and some Lychguard. Son bought me a second Ghost Ark. Mom bought me second Storm Raven.

Now I need 2 weeks off to assemble and prime it all, and another 3 months to pain it!

Belial69
01-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Dark Eldar Tantalus and a Kindle which has promptly been filled with as many black library publications as I could get. :)

Necron2.0
01-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Under the tree- Onion and a Stick
In my Stocking- lump of coal

Throw in the tree itself, and you've got the makings of a fine, camp-fire onion soup. ;)

L192837465
01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Green Bay Packer official beanie and 1 share of Green Bay Packers stock. Along with a bunch of gift cards to my homebrew supplier. It was awesome!

BigGrim
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I have received my extra stuff so the total haul is :

3 Hornets
1 Squad of Shadow Spectres with Exarch
1 Wraithseer.

They are all awesome, awesome models. Can't wait to get time to paint them!

robrodgers46
01-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Land Raider Crusader
Space Wolf Terminators
Devastator Squad
Space Marine Scouts
IG Advisors

BB

Necron2.0
01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
With my Christmas money and gift cards, my final (40K only) haul came to:

1 x Cypher - The Fallen Angel