PDA

View Full Version : N00b question: Dedicated Transports

Necron2.0
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm still relatively new to this game, and haven't messed much with finagling the rules. I'm sure this has been answered time and again, but a brief search didn't turn this up, so I thought I'd come right out and ask.

Can you field a dedicated transport with an infantry unit that is far too big to fit in it, and deploy the combo with the infantry unit disembarked?

I have seen nothing in either the rules nor the errata that either explicitly or implicitly forbids this. Also, I've seen variations on this done with space marines and razorbacks, but in those cases a 10 man tactical unit gets split into combat squads and the razorback does in fact come on the board carrying marines. So, is it your opinion that the DT must be deployed holding units, and if so, can you justify this opinion based on rules?

My reason for looking into this comes from a consideration of fielding a 20 "man" unit of Necron Warriors with a Ghost Ark repair facility.

doom-kitten
12-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes you can take a DT with a squad despite the unit size however if the squad can't fit in the vehicle they may not embark, and no you don't have to start embarked in the vehicle. I do this all the time with my sisters, mostly because I use the DT as a bullet screen and to tote a missle around.

SotonShades
12-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes you can. However you cannot deploy any unit in a DT other than the one that it was bought for. Others may embark in it later in the game though (i.e. on the first turn after deloyment has finished)

Nungunz
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Though it does depend on the codex. For example Ork Trukks can only be taken if the mob numbers 12 models or less.

You need to read the specific unit entry to see if there are any restrictions.

DarkLink
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Right. Some units will say "if the squad has X or fewer models, they may take this dedicated transport".

Most newer codices don't do this. They simply say "the squad may take a dedicated transport", and that's that. No restriction on unit size at all.