PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Swarms, WorthTaking or No?

doom-kitten
12-27-2011, 02:52 AM
so I just got a bunch of Jungle swarms for frees and am wondering if they would be a good unit to run, I've got 12 bases in total so if their good, how many is enough and how would they be used properly? I was thinking running them in tandem with my Saurus cavalry to tie up a unit so the cavaly can flank charge, would this work or are swarms better as a flanker? As you can likely guess I've never used swarms or even seen them in someones army list and I'm not willing to use them without some kind of a review on performance.

Lord Azaghul
12-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Short answer: not really.

They were better last ed, but only kinda so/so in 8th.

They have poison right? They will probably be best at a disposable unit sent in to distract something, or hit a unit in the flank - like an unarmoured monster or something.

doom-kitten
12-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Thats what I thought and yes they have Poison, but I wasn't to sure the things cost 45 pts each so I figured there had to be a reason. I'm not to familiar with 8th Ed as I'm to cheap to buy the core rulebook and the starter box is elves and rats, to off my most hated armies and I can't find anyone who would take them off me without having to mail them off. I'm trying to rebuild my lizards but every list I make gets scoffed and to be honest I'm not to keen on playing a magic dependant army, the Slann is nice but the Carnosaur Lord is awesome and Cavalry are to cool to put in the bag. I'm basically trying to build a list that has magical defence but mostly offensive power, I played against Ogres with a Slann using Death magic and utterly destroyed him and my magic phase took atleast 20 mins as I kept getting dice for causing wounds.

So if you got any advice how to make a Lizardmen army without having a Slann but still effective I'd appreciate the tips, particaularly if the list invovles a stompy death dino. His name is Mr.Carnosaur and I loves him.

Lord Azaghul
12-27-2011, 10:06 AM
So if you got any advice how to make a Lizardmen army without having a Slann but still effective I'd appreciate the tips, particaularly if the list invovles a stompy death dino. His name is Mr.Carnosaur and I loves him.

Skinks with poison blow darts are amazing, they kill monsters and war machines pretty quickly.

Blocks of Sausurin general are just good.

Cav isn't as useful - but carnosaur is still solid enough

You'll want a steggi - with a lvl 3 skink priest on it. The 'engine of the god' is still very good. And extra lvl 1 will also be useful. Some day you may still want a slann.

Salamanders in pairs are also an excellent unit choice.

So:
Fighters: blocks of saurus warriors.
Flankers harassers: small units of skinks with blow guns
Support: Stegg EoG, Salamanders.

doom-kitten
12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks I'm gonna put up a test list later when I figure out what I want, give a critic then, good or bad I'm not fussy.