PDA

View Full Version : XV8 Commander Battlesuit conversion

Just_Me
12-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Here are some images of a Shas'O Commander suit I've converted. I've made a number of changes to the model over time as I'm never quite satisfied with the effect, this is it's latest incarnation and I felt like showing it off. It was inspired waaaaay back when the XV9 suits came out and the idea was that this experimental suit served as a combat testbed platform for a number of the features and technologies that would be incorporated into the eventual XV9 production.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/Just_Me_Images/Tau%20Conversion/PA080306.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/Just_Me_Images/Tau%20Conversion/PA080308.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/Just_Me_Images/Tau%20Conversion/PA080307.jpg

Most of the changes went into the thruster assembly, although I also rebuilt the feet and radically expanded on the shield as well as the simple conversion I do with all my suits of mounting the arm weapons in an underslung position rather than on the back of the "wrist." Frankly I don't consider it a 100% success, I wish I could give it a sleeker look more in keeping with the XV9s or some of the Tau concept art, maybe with all the Tau rumors we're hearing we will get new Battlesuit models. Although I'm a little conflicted on that point as I actually am rather fond of the clunky no-nonsense suits we have now and new models would force me to replace the suits I already have and make all the work I did on this fellow obsolete. :p

Comments, criticism, or even (dare I say it?) praise are all welcome.

Hotsauceman
12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
To me the shield doesnt look like it would be effective. I recommending turning it so the longer part is face down. It looks like an ineffective punchong device.
But i like it.

Shadoq
12-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Looks pretty good to me actually (shield). And if it makes you happy, why not?
Only thing I would suggest is if you're not planning to already, do a wash on the model. Maybe it is the way the camera shot is but the paint looks kind of "caked on" or "blotchy".

Just_Me
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks pretty good to me actually (shield). And if it makes you happy, why not?
Only thing I would suggest is if you're not planning to already, do a wash on the model. Maybe it is the way the camera shot is but the paint looks kind of "caked on" or "blotchy".

I've never made use of washes actually. My skills on the painting end are frankly a little weak and I think wash effects are hit or miss, sometimes they look great, sometimes they just look dirty. What you're seeing with the paint is a combination of poor picture quality (if you have any tips on taking good model pics I'd be greatful) and the fact some of the original painting dates from my earlier efforts and even poorer painting skills.

Deadlift
12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I like the model very much, but the paint is far too thick, it really needs striping off and starting again to show off the conversion. :D