PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a rage quitter

Panxer
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Ok , maybe not rage quitting, but certainly a 'I quit because I am now combat ineffective, do not have the necessary fire power to effect the outcome, it's turn two and the game has now so frustrating, tiresome, and depressing that I will take any excuse to concede and walk away' quitter.

Some people call it bad form, but personally see no point in continuing a game if there's no way you can win or even come close to winning. If it's turn 2 or 3 and your combat ability has been eviscerated, why would you go on? Why wouldn't your opponent (who is now 7 to 1 for kill points) not end the game to be at least kind or even just considerate? To beat a dead horse? To keep going and see if he can get 10 kill points to 1 then tell your friends that you just 40k beat someone who was so below your skill level that you just wanted to see how far it could go?

What's your favorite 'I got so beat so bad, I quit by turn 2' story?

computertrucker
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Imagine if Tim Tebow played football like your playing 40k... He would have lost his last six that he has ended up winning in the last few minutes of the game.

He doesnt quit and he turns losing situations into winning ones.

I am kinda new (old timer coming back) to 40k I know this I do play Warmachine. I have literally had my entire army demolished in the past to come back with an assasination win, when it didnt seem possible. My point dont give up.. Play the game to have fun, if you do lose learn from it.

CrimsonTurkey
12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
On turn two there's no reason to quit. On turn four or five I might politely declare that I concede and offer a hand if my doom is totally imminent and even rolling 20 sixes in a row couldn't save me.

LordGrise
12-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Imagine if Tim Tebow played football like your playing 40k... He would have lost his last six that he has ended up winning in the last few minutes of the game.

He doesnt quit and he turns losing situations into winning ones.

I am kinda new (old timer coming back) to 40k I know this I do play Warmachine. I have literally had my entire army demolished in the past to come back with an assasination win, when it didnt seem possible. My point dont give up.. Play the game to have fun, if you do lose learn from it.

Wow. You didn't... didja? I guess you did. Wow. Talk about condescending.

Tim Tebow is a salaried professional in every sense of the word and has literally a couple hundred million dollars worth of support on any given game day. In what way does this compare to a 'friendly' game of 40K? It doesn't. Nor does Warmachine.

Yeah, I've had the dubious pleasure of having my army rendered mission-incapable on turn one more than once - I play Tau, after all. By and large, my opponent has offered to call the game at that point.

There is one guy in my gaming store who, no matter what the mission is, goes for annihilation every time, and very frequently gets it. He has a photographic memory, knows every army in the game, and is perfectly able to tailor his loadout on the fly to what he observes you getting out of your bags. He is absolutely scrupulous in his adherence to the rules. And he is no fun to play at all. He knows your army better than you do his, never misses a trick, and has no mercy if you do. He is not satisfied unless you have nothing left at the end of the game.

No one plays him one-on-one. Why would anyone want to be that guy?

chromedog
12-14-2011, 12:36 AM
On turn two there's no reason to quit. On turn four or five I might politely declare that I concede and offer a hand if my doom is totally imminent and even rolling 20 sixes in a row couldn't save me.

This.

Conceding on turn 2 is bad form.

I've had single troopers turn a game around by refusing to die or run away.

Now, if, after turn 4, I've got no chance of winning, and I can't even force a draw, then I might concede - but only if I have something else I have to be doing.

DarkLink
12-14-2011, 01:12 AM
You play a game of 40k to, y'know, play the game. Right? That's what I'd assume, considering that you put your models on the table and started playing. Unpacking all your models only to immediately decide "nah, I'm not feelin' it" makes you look silly.

I mean, if you're opponent's being a @#$%^&*, then find someone better to play. But why just call it immediately?

energongoodie
12-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Kreese: Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Karate Class: NO, SENSEI!
Kreese: Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Kreese: Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?

warpcrafter
12-14-2011, 03:12 AM
This.

Conceding on turn 2 is bad form.

I've had single troopers turn a game around by refusing to die or run away.

Now, if, after turn 4, I've got no chance of winning, and I can't even force a draw, then I might concede - but only if I have something else I have to be doing.

I will concede if the mission is objectives and I have no more units capable of claiming said objectives, because at that point their is no further purpose to playing the game. Warhammer 40,000 is not so important that players should feel a requirement to continue a game where they have no chance of winning.

And the example of having a single trooper refusing to run away, let me tell you, I once won a VP game by having the last survivor of a unit run and hide for two turns, thus denying my enemy his unit's VP. It's all a matter of what mission you're playing.

Anyway, real military commanders will withdraw from a battle if they feel that it would serve the overall effort better to preserve his remaining forces so they can be put to more gainful use at a later date.

It's just a game, after all.

miteyheroes
12-14-2011, 03:31 AM
I played a Capture and Control game last week. I had shooty CSM force, my opponent a very close-combat BA army. I camped on my home objective; he went for annihilation (didn't even leave anyone on his home!)

It started to go bad for me very soon, I lost some key units and he got on top of me and started cutting me up bad. At that point I realised I wouldn't win, and started playing for a draw. And storywise it was at this point that it became a hugely atmospheric battle - a desperate last stand, my guys trying to survive until re-enforcements could turn up, a real Alamo or Rorke's Drift situation. In the end it was an Alamo not a Rorke's Drift, but right up until the 5th Turn it was possible that I could have got that draw.

After the battle it turned out that there had been a misunderstanding, he had 2000pts and I had 1500. Whoops! We're going to refight this week - hopefully it'll be my San Jacinto...

But last week's game was fun to play, and a bitter drawn-out atmospheric struggle. Historically a lot of battles have been unequal, one side had no real chance of 'winning'. It's fun to play those fights sometimes, people obsess about the idea of winning too much. To me playing 40k is about telling a story, it's not about the winning.

The only time I ever quit a game early was back in 2nd ed, when a Virus Outbreak strategy card killed 9/10ths of my ork army before the game even began...

pauljc
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
As someone who has suffered 25 years of below average to downright 'mathmatically impossible' bad luck with dice, I too know this pain. Even so, I try not to quit, purely so that my opponent still gets a game, and also because I still might learn something about my remaining units.

However, if there really is simply no damn point in continuing, and you're on turn two, maybe it is sometimes better to offer your hand, and ask your opponent if you can both play again. The models are already out of the boxes. You're half an hour into the game. Might as well just go again, right?
Make a deployment change, reconsider tactics, and go again.

Especially if you play Eldar. Then you can just tell your opponent that the Farseers were just testing possible future outcomes. ;)

SotonShades
12-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Only times I have ever conceeded a game were when I was reduced to no models able to move. Nothing but immobile vehicles left on the board. I have had way too many games where I have lost all but a couple of troops (note; i mean models, not units!) or possibly a single vehicle that has lost all its weapons but can still move. Play them suicidally!

I remember one game, way back in the last few months of third edition where my marine army was wiped out, apart from a single space marine. By turn one. Admittedly, I had had first turn so my last guy was a good distance across the board and I had managed to inflict a few casualties to my opponant's army. Not enough to cause any leadership tests or the like though. My opponant (a great guy who was well known at the time for regularly placing in the Grand Tournaments, now known as throne of skulls in the UK) offered me a graceful conceed. I refused and took every oppertunity to get that last guy killed. From that point in the game there wasn't a single combat phase he wasn't involved in. Somehow I managed to make every save needed (which was helped by my opponants inability to roll high enough to hit him in shooting or combat!) and won every combat, causing all but one of his units to be fleeing or have run off the board by the end of the game. I'd love to say I gave that marine a promotion and a new paint job, but he got stolen the next day...

I also particularly remember a 3v3 40k in 40 minutes game. All that was left of my force by my turn one was a single space marine chaplain and a sergeant with a powerfist. Not much was left of the other two forces I was allied with either. We could have conceeded, but instead my marines decided it would be much better to mow their way through 400 points of genestealers, as mell as doing a fair bit of damage to a couple of the Tau units who had shot their squads out from under them in the frst turn.

I'm sure there were hundreds of other games where I was reducded to not a lot, and subsequently wiped of the table with out the opposing army breaking a sweat, but you don't remember those games. Once upon a time in my LGS there was a competition to see who could wipe my army from the board in the shortest time (15 minutes for a 1500 point game, including deploying armies... that kinda hurt lol), but if I never stuck it out to the end, even when I have no chance of winning, I would never know just what my armies are really capable of. With a bucket load of luck at least lol.

As a lot of previous posters have pointed out, when you are rendered combat ineffective, just have fun with it instead of conceeding. How often do we cheer for the underdog? How many movies are there about soldiers left behind, out numbered, short of ammunition and supplies and fighting for their lives, only to come out victorious? You would be surprised how often you can be reduced to a point where you can't win, but can stop your opponant from winning. A closely fought draw can be just as much fun as a win, so never, ever conceed :)

DrLove42
12-14-2011, 06:00 AM
I don't understand how you can RageQuit really in 40k. In online gaming yes....its anonymous and 2 pushes.

In a table top game not so much

Thiazi
12-14-2011, 06:23 AM
There is one guy in my gaming store who, no matter what the mission is, goes for annihilation every time, and very frequently gets it. He has a photographic memory, knows every army in the game, and is perfectly able to tailor his loadout on the fly to what he observes you getting out of your bags. He is absolutely scrupulous in his adherence to the rules. And he is no fun to play at all. He knows your army better than you do his, never misses a trick, and has no mercy if you do. He is not satisfied unless you have nothing left at the end of the game.

No one plays him one-on-one. Why would anyone want to be that guy?

This sounds like the best kinda of opponet. Following the rules is a good thing, they are there for a reason.
You will never get better playing less skilled opponets, and it sounds like there is a lot you can learn from this guy. Suck it up, learn from your mistakes, be grateful you now have a better understanding of the rules, your army and his, and put that knowledge to use next game.

Eldaress
12-14-2011, 06:56 AM
To be perfectly honest, I feel like it sort of defeats the purpose of the entire game by conceding turn two. All that work taking your models from the case and writing your list and setting them up and doing the first rolls and then you back out turn two because you feel like (or are) being completely crushed? Where's that spirit of badassery that says, "Oh HELL yeah I'm getting my a$$ handed to me, but for godssakes I'm gonna try and own this!" It seems like when you're down and out in the beginning of the battle, that's the perfect time to tone your skills and try and become a better strategist. Not every fight's going to go evenly the whole way, where it's a tug of war for the objective/kill points/annihilation/whatever and finally whoever manages to pull off that last move wins. -shrug-

Now, I will say that I agree with a previous poster about if it's, say, turn 4 or so, and there's just no way out of your sticky situation, you could politely offer your hand surrender the victory to your opponent. Meh, I do have a problem with people who start getting all huffy and start to wine like little thirteen y/o girls and b*tch and b*tch and b*tch about every little thing that goes wrong and then they rage quit, tossing models and stomping off, but that's a different story.

Fellend
12-14-2011, 06:57 AM
To put it in very simple terms: You should always keep playing because crushing you might be fun for your opponent. You agreed to battle him because it was fun for you both not just for you.
However you can always offer to concede. After all, hunting down the last member of your squad might be just as boring for him as it is for you.

Eldaress
12-14-2011, 07:05 AM
To put it in very simple terms: You should always keep playing because crushing you might be fun for your opponent. You agreed to battle him because it was fun for you both not just for you.

This. It's a game for godssake. I totally agree that you shouldn't be an a** just because the game isn't going right for you and bail out on the person you agreed to play with/who agreed to play with you. It's courtesy.

Forrix
12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
i think the game is worth playing right up to the end. Because it is a game and because if your not going to win the big game you can find a new goal even if its just killing his HQ before your last couple guys go down. Also you never know what you might learn for the next game even in the process of losing. Not to mention how irritating it would be for you if every time you started to pick up a win you worked for your opponent just walked away. Course there is an exception to every rule and sometimes a game just goes wrong and you will both have more fun if you just start over.

Panxer
12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
There are a lot of good insightful posts here; keep em coming!

It's a game. Period. Please, bear in mind that I'm a staunch Tau player, and I'm not unaccustomed to losing, and losing badly. I've played games through to completion with one immobile vehicle with a squad of troops inside and finished the game and I've also conceded at the top of turn two as well. It's the spirit of the game. You either have a fun experience and its an entertaining game, or you have one that utterly crushes your spirit and will to continue, takes all tactical thinking out of the process to where you just say 'schrew it', and strive to get your team killed as quickly as possible (with tau that's not hard).

I like the perspective of withdrawing when a tactical defeat is imminent. Knowing your army and its capabilities has its drawbacks as well. Being able to see three moves ahead, given the tactical scenario, can be a curse as well as a blessing. Last night I took the time to make a Farsight list playing against the new Necrons (which is my standard fare being that my friend with the table plays them every time)- he had 7 bodyguards (were in reserves as a bad a$$ kill team unit about to practice the killing blow upon some unsuspecting Crons in the back), another XV squad of reserves, pathfinder team up front, 3 broadsides with ASA's behind a rock to avoid being killed turn 1 (didn't work), and two squads of infantry (one in a building on an objective and the other in a fish waiting for the signal to skim out and cause trouble.

By the end of turn one, all my broadsides were all dead- killing 90% of my anti-tank capability, pathfinders too- didn't even get one marker light shot, Commander in the back with the positional relay was down to zero shield drones and 2 wounds- and about the be instant deathed on the next turn.

Top of turn 2: Positional relay let me deepstrike Farsight and his goons on a 2+. Scattered into terrain. 'I'm not going to have my kill team reduced for bad rolling', I say! Marker Beacon from the dead pathfinder's fish allows me to re-roll for scatter on a deepstrike. I do so. Great! Off the table! Deepstrike mishap! Roll the dice, my opponent gets to place them wherever he wants- which is right in front of his shootiest and most deadly unit.

At this point, I concede. When things go this bad for you, this early in the game, and you're Tau? It's best to cut your losses. It's a game, and when you're getting just curbed stomped in the bottom of turn 1? Walk away. Any competent military commander (even if we weren't talking 'game' and talking 'real') would withdraw his troops, regroup, and fight from a different position.

I'm Tau, so I'm used to being rendered combat ineffective by turn 3. That's just how it goes. But if you're eviscerated by turn 1?, with your only hope of reprieve mishaps in front of his insta-death shooty unit? turn 2 and 3 would just be an exercise in futility. My time is the only asset I have that is non refundable and finite. So, if the game ceases to be fun and in the 'friendly' spirit, then why continue? I've got more important things to do like post innocuous posts on a forum about the game I get beat at so often.:D

Necron2.0
12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I've conceded games both when I was winning and when I've been losing - with my opponent's agreement, of course. It all depends on how young the night is and how entertaining the game is (stress that, GAME). It's no fun putting the beat-stick on someone who isn't trying anymore. Likewise, if I'm reduced to a punching bag, how much enjoyment can someone derive in just a dice rolling exercise? Now, granted that's not usually in the second turn of play, but I have seen it happen:

Turn 2:
Player 1: I'm deepstriking the bulk of my forces

... <mishap> ... <mishap> ... <drift into a kill-box> ... <mishap>

Player 1: Hmm. Seems I only have one scoring unit remaining

Player 2: Not anymore, it's my turn.

... <CENSORED CARNAGE> ...

Player 1: Hmm ..... Wanna call it?

Player 2: Sure, let's set up for round two.

Denzark
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
If I get to turn 5 and I have nothing that can force a draw, ie no scoring units, and none within 2 turns distance of an objective in order to contest - that means 12+2d6 inches with running, then and only then would I ask my opponent not to bother rolling for turn 6-7.

Otherwise, as is said in Young guns 2, its time to finish the game...

phoenix01
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Kreese: Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Kreese: Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?
Kreese: Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?

And we all know what happened to them, don't we?

energongoodie
12-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Yep. They became best friends with Daniel and Mr Miyagi and lived happily ever after. All because they didn't quit even though the journey was tough. aka.getting crane kicked in the face and all. They learned to be the best around and that nothing was ever gonna keep them down.

Lerra
12-14-2011, 03:17 PM
The "rage" part of ragequitting is definitely bad, but I don't see a problem in surrendering early if you do it politely. It does frustrate me to see other people quit when they can still tie the game, but at the same time, it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. If someone is frustrated and having a bad time with things, I'm not one to force them to play out the last hour of a bad game. I've also been known to offer opponents a restart when things go really poorly on turn 1 or 2. And I've done a few restarts myself, like one time when I was playing Chaos Daemons vs. Grey Knights, and lost over half of my army to deep strike mishap from Warp Quake before turn 2 (it was Dawn of War so most of the table was covered in Warp Quake before the bottom of turn 1, and it went downhill from there). Neither of us was going to have much fun playing out the end to that massacre.

ZenPaladin
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I've conceded before and I know that I have accepted more than one concession. If you are able to lose with dignity. And either laugh or learn from the loss then you should play. But sometimes what's supposed to be a good time can become frustrating tedious or worse.

If your feeling that way I don't see the problem with stoping things. Go with the flow!

Wildeybeast
12-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll concede/accept my opponent conceding if we clearly have time for another game, otherwise quitting early ain't on (by early I mean turn 2-3). For a start its probably taken 20 minutes to get everything set up, to then play for 30-60 minutes and give up is just a waste of time and is basically saying 'i'm only playing this because I think I can win'. Unless your are in a tournie, my view is that you should be playing to have fun. Sure winning is nice and losing isn't but you play the game for the sake of playing it, not for the winning. If you are getting trashed, it's because, somewhere along the line, you did something wrong and sitting there sulking, or doing the 'no it's fine, I'll keep playing, really I don't mind [begrudingly picks up dice]' routine is just bad form. I must admit I have done it on occasion in the past, then when I've seen others do it, I realised how frustrating it is. I view any game I'm getting destroyed in as an opportunity to review what I did wrong, and to have some fun by going all out kamikazee style. This will either get me back into the game, or end it sooner.

vharing
12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok first I would like to say, I once saw a guy I know at our local club playing necrons. End of turn 2 he phased out, and he threw a metal tomb spyder across the club. To me that is a rage quit.

I am a really unlucky player, and have had some really bad games. I have been tabled more times then I can remember. But I do try to survive for as long as I can. I was made fun of and laughed at by one opponent because I wanted to quit and call it on turn 3 once because I only had 4 marines left. So I kept on and had a 5 min turn where they all died in a blaze of glory. The next day I played to same opponent and managed to table him. Sometimes sticking to it pays off.

LordGrise
12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Okies, so what I'm seeing is that we basically have two schools of thought here:

The first school is that one should hardly ever (if ever at all) concede; there is little or no excuse for doing so. Even in abject and total defeat there are lessons to be learned.

The second school is that it is acceptable to concede (politely) if you have been essentially obliterated. This is a game, and when it becomes an exercise in futility it's no longer fun.

In other words, hardcore competition players vs weekend hobbyists.

All respect to the competition players; go to, guys. But I'm not one, and there's nothing wrong with that.

SotonShades
12-15-2011, 05:19 AM
Okies, so what I'm seeing is that we basically have two schools of thought here:

The first school is that one should hardly ever (if ever at all) concede; there is little or no excuse for doing so. Even in abject and total defeat there are lessons to be learned.

The second school is that it is acceptable to concede (politely) if you have been essentially obliterated. This is a game, and when it becomes an exercise in futility it's no longer fun.

In other words, hardcore competition players vs weekend hobbyists.

All respect to the competition players; go to, guys. But I'm not one, and there's nothing wrong with that.

With shades of grey, as with everything in life.

As I've said, I'm firmly in the 'don't conceed' camp, but I am far more of a weekend warrior than a hardcore competitive. Yes I have been to tournaments (and in that situation will never, ever conceed) but in all other instances where I am having my proverbial kicked unashamedly, I play silly, fun tactics that shouldn't have a hope of winning me the game (with the rare exceptions I outlined earlier). I'm sure there are others out there of the hardcore fraternity who will conceed and restart the game if they are getting curb stomped early on, especially those who play alpha strike style armies.

Slug
12-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Like most things logic should be applied liberally to the situation.

As many people have said if you find yourself in a position early on where you have been completely out deployed then you can ask your opponent if you can redo everything, so long as you both have enough time. If the situation is clear by then, go ahead and concede, it will probably lead to a better game if you have another go rather then get tabled. however one should not concede late game unless you can't do anything. the amount of time you can pull something funny off and get a great laugh out of it makes it worthwhile. Plus it's a great time to go for some massive risks, who knows you might win. But logic should be applied, if you're in a rush or just not having fun then concede. It's to situational like many things to give a clear answer, but I would say only concede if you not both having fun, also remember to accept surrenders, don't the person that has to drag out the killing blow.

Warptiger
12-15-2011, 07:26 AM
I lost over 2/3rd's of my army at a tournament game, and still won by the end, because my opponent wasn't even paying attention to the victory conditions.

The scenario had a central objective in the exact middle of the table, and whoever had the most units closest to it the end won. I was playing chaos, and he had vanilla space marines. He setup his whole army in a gunline formation, and never moved. Just fired, and fired, and fired.

I launched my entire army at the center objective, moving across empty ground with little cover. Every turn, he fired everything he could at me. By turn 3, I'd lost 2/3rd's of my army. By turn 4, it was about 4/5th's... but all my surviving squads were packed around the objective in the middle.

At the start of the last turn, I watched him pick up the scenario rules, read them... and then silently cuss when he finally understood the victory conditions. His entire army was still setup on the board edge in little stupid rows, as far away from the center as he could get.

He tried a suicide charge towards the objective, using a rhino with his space marine commander and command squad. My chaos lord smacked down the entire squad single handedly, and they ended up falling back.

Besides that game, the only time I've ever wanted to just quit a game, was also at a tournament. I got paired up against someone playing an Iyanden ghost army. The most broken, cheesy, beardy, messed up army I've ever seen.

He slaughtered me, but it didn't matter at all. I realized later that the organizers had already decided I was going to receive the "best painted" award, so my army score didn't matter any more. This guy was one of about 4 people who brought extremely broken cheesy armies, and every one of them was paired off against someone who was going to get an award (best painted, best sportsman, etc). That way, their broken armies wouldn't mess up anyone who was trying to win best general or overall.

When I get into situations like that (getting totally crushed at a tournament), I spend the rest of the game just trying to make their score as low as possible. Drops them down in the rankings, and they end up out of the running for the top trophies.

Wildeybeast
12-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Ok first I would like to say, I once saw a guy I know at our local club playing necrons. End of turn 2 he phased out, and he threw a metal tomb spyder across the club. To me that is a rage quit.

I am a really unlucky player, and have had some really bad games. I have been tabled more times then I can remember. But I do try to survive for as long as I can. I was made fun of and laughed at by one opponent because I wanted to quit and call it on turn 3 once because I only had 4 marines left. So I kept on and had a 5 min turn where they all died in a blaze of glory. The next day I played to same opponent and managed to table him. Sometimes sticking to it pays off.

This will probably make me sound like a complete douche, but in my view there is not such thing as an unlucky player, just bad ones. Sure, I've had games where the dice rolls really don't favour me, but I try not to moan about luck. Anyone who thinks they have been completely destroyed purely because of bad dice rolls fails to realise that their army/strategy did to account for the random element, or worse still was built around a random element of the game (reserves, deep striking etc). The best generals (and I don't include myself in that) respond to poor luck and turn a losing situation into a winning one. If you have been completely tabled by turn 2/3, it isn't because of luck, you did something rather badly wrong.

heretic marine
12-15-2011, 12:20 PM
i play to have fun not to win, a lot of guys say its stupid but i end up enjoying the game more. now why the guy might not say i win lets call it quits is (and i have encountered this i was a spectator) is because he want to see how epically he wins, or is all in all a jerk, or sometimes he is not sure he is winning that well. i always give the benefit of the doubt. i would at least wait until turn 3 though to say i lose. even if i am losing so bad i still play you learn more from a defeat then from a win most of the times. i still play to have fun too.

phoenix01
12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Yep. They became best friends with Daniel and Mr Miyagi and lived happily ever after. All because they didn't quit even though the journey was tough. aka.getting crane kicked in the face and all. They learned to be the best around and that nothing was ever gonna keep them down.

I guess you never saw the third movie. Can't say I blame you because Karate Kid part III really sucked.

Luke Licens
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
This will probably make me sound like a complete douche, but in my view there is not such thing as an unlucky player, just bad ones. Sure, I've had games where the dice rolls really don't favour me, but I try not to moan about luck. Anyone who thinks they have been completely destroyed purely because of bad dice rolls fails to realise that their army/strategy did to account for the random element, or worse still was built around a random element of the game (reserves, deep striking etc). The best generals (and I don't include myself in that) respond to poor luck and turn a losing situation into a winning one. If you have been completely tabled by turn 2/3, it isn't because of luck, you did something rather badly wrong.

I've got a good friend who's a great tactician. Always know the right moves, when to hold em, and when to fold em. But I still win often enough to keep me coming back, because the man is so unlucky. I kid you not, I've had a 5 man tac squad erase an entire unit of 10 chaos termintors. With just their boltguns. I wish that sort of thing were rare, but I swear he fails more than 75% of his 3+ armor saves. The best part? He's a statistician by trade. The constant anomalies drive him up the wall. :p

LordGrise
12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Wildey, your troll is showing.

heretic marine
12-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I've got a good friend who's a great tactician. Always know the right moves, when to hold em, and when to fold em. But I still win often enough to keep me coming back, because the man is so unlucky. I kid you not, I've had a 5 man tac squad erase an entire unit of 10 chaos termintors. With just their boltguns. I wish that sort of thing were rare, but I swear he fails more than 75% of his 3+ armor saves. The best part? He's a statistician by trade. The constant anomalies drive him up the wall. :p

yes i am sure you beat him, and i am sure he is not using loaded dice. (says sarcastically)

i JK lol, but there are battles that the dice choose who wins i kid you not. I was in a battle were the other guy had the worst dice rolls. around 5 out of 6 dice were always 1s.then i rolled his dice and i got 6s. it was so funny he started to barrow dice from the other gamers and none of them worked, the next day he had good rolls so i guess i was lucky.

Ssyrie
12-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Actually guys like this are easy to take care of. The easiest way is to take your army list for the battle, set it face down on the table and ask for his. Don't take any models out, nor give him any information about your army except, maybe, what codex your army comes from, until he puts his army list on the table as well. And then make him stick to the list he provides, without allowing any substitutions.

Of course, if you have the mini's you could over pack your cases with extra stuff you have no intention of fielding, so he doesn't know exactly what you plan to actually use. This works especially well if you have units that normally wouldn't be used together in the same army list.

DarkLink
12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Just pull out random units, wait for him to write his list, then pull out different units. If he tries to call you on it, laugh at him.

Wildey, your troll is showing.

Actually, he's represented his opinion on the subject clearly and politely, even calling himself out on how his statement could be construed as offensive. You, on the other hand, sound like you're trying to verge into flame war territory. Chill out. As you yourself pointed out earlier, there are different views on how this should be handled and that's not inherently wrong.

Besides, his statement wasn't even really about calling games early, but about people who regularly blame losses on bad luck. About which, he is completely correct. Sometimes the dice don't go in your favor, and I'm sure everyone's lost games because of it, but if you consistently lose then it probably isn't your dice. Luck averages out over time, but how good you are and how good your list is will always matter.

energongoodie
12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
I guess you never saw the third movie. Can't say I blame you because Karate Kid part III really sucked.

This all happened after the events of the third movie when they were older and wiser. ;)

Wildeybeast
12-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Actually, he's represented his opinion on the subject clearly and politely, even calling himself out on how his statement could be construed as offensive. You, on the other hand, sound like you're trying to verge into flame war territory. Chill out. As you yourself pointed out earlier, there are different views on how this should be handled and that's not inherently wrong.

Besides, his statement wasn't even really about calling games early, but about people who regularly blame losses on bad luck. About which, he is completely correct. Sometimes the dice don't go in your favor, and I'm sure everyone's lost games because of it, but if you consistently lose then it probably isn't your dice. Luck averages out over time, but how good you are and how good your list is will always matter.

Thanks man. I wasn't trying to troll, as you correctly point out, just my opinion. Other views are available.

I kinda missed out how my view on 'bad luck' links to quitting early. I have a mate who moans about bad luck whenever the dice go against him early (and he has had some terrible rolls on occasion), but I refuse to let him quit because half the time if he sticks in, the dice even themselves out over the course of the game, or he adapts his game plan and manages to win. I suspect quite a few people who quit early do so because of terrible 'luck' early game and get very disheartened. If you take the view that it is 'bad luck' causing you to lose, you remove any responsibility you have for your decisions and thus you end up in a situation where you think you cannot affetc the outcome, lose hope and want to quit. Take the mindset that no matter how bad your dice, you still retain control of your army and can affect the outcome of the game, suddenly the urge to quit early all but disappears. Even if you lose, it is still a useful leanring experience.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
12-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I know how you feel.
As for having your opponenet see what you have then tailor his/her army to it, well like me, i carry two large GW cases with most of my SoB army it.
I don't bother just taking what i want to a game, to much fuss packing, so that sort of guy would just see lots of transports, tanks and lots of SoB.
I agree, just place your list down before you unpack, better still don't even open your cases until the game is about to begin in deployment.

But even if i'm losing i will play to the death most matches, even if it's just to have fun.
Yet i have ended a game or two early only that i am losing can see it like a chess master, and will conceded but only after turn 3 or 4.

doom-kitten
12-17-2011, 12:14 AM
I agree with SoulKnyt, expect I carry everything and really don't care if someone tailors to beat me, good for them I just want to play. If my sisters die meh it's what they want anyway and well DE are deviant witches and xenos scum so I have no qualms driving them down my foes throat. I know everyone says play for fun but it is much harder to actually keep that mindset. But conceeding is well...not fun I understand situations often force your hand but try to look at it as an oppurtunity to try again.

For example orcs give me nightmares, last year they crushed me every game I played but I still played them every second wednesday and tried gain, probably should have used a different lists but I'm lazy and army building is boring.

david5th
12-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Have I ever quit a game - no, would I - probably not as most of games are tournaments that I paid and driven for. Have I been tempted - yes, twice.

At the start of my second ever apocalypse game in the GW Battlefields tournament my Ork opponent got first turn and with two Stompas firing their Psycho-Dakka-Blasta!'s wiped out approximately 2000 points of my 3500 point SM army. By turn two I was down to roughly 500 points. I managed to take the game to 5 full turns. After the game my opponent said he would have minded if I had quit on turn two but I told him I had come for game and that's what I was going to get. We spent the rest of the afternoon in Bugmans drinking. :)

During my first game at GW Throne Of Skulls my Eldar opponent show typical Eldar arrogance ( sorry Eldargal :) ) and believed that my SM either weren't or couldn't Do certain things such as run in the shooting phase, assault after firing assault weapons or attack an IC in CC that was in base contact with me. He claimed I needed "special abilities" to do said things as a SM player. I feel the need to point out he appeared to be about forty, claimed to have "doing this thing" for twenty five years and was part of a war gaming club from Brighton. All I could do was grit my teeth and play him a a frustrating draw just to annoy him.