PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Noob

Goresmack
09-12-2009, 11:45 PM
After some 5 years I'm getting back into WFB and some how settled on the ever elusive Wood Elves, I have about 1000 point thus far and was wondering if you fine folks would throw some advice my way. As it stands I have 36 glade guard, 8 glade riders, and 12 dryads. Where do I go from there? Obviously I need a lord/hero and was thinking of a Highborn on dragon. Any ideas?

-Goresmack

Vlad
09-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Wood Elves have a great deal of tactics.
What idea do you want behind your army?
Is it shooty doom? or forest spirit lumbermill, or something in-between?

Goresmack
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Shooty doom or forest spirit lumbermill, those are the best army nicknames I've ever heard!
I am looking at shooty death with tree support, I haven't found a balance yet in my current proxy battles.
I have been fielding several small units (8 strong, no upgrades) of dryads, two squads of treekin, and the rest in archers/Waywatchers.

-Goresmack

a ghost
09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I'd recommend swapping the Treekin for Wild Riders. While the WR are only medium cavalry, they're some of the best medium cav around. Running in a tag team with a unit of Glade Riders, you should be able to catch a flank on one side. At this point, WE com into their own.

The way to coordinate Glade Guard with Dryads looks something like this:
GGGGGGGGGG D D GGGGGGGGGG D D GGGGGGGGGG
D D D D
D D D D
D D D DDeploy forward. Then plan to have the GG move 2.25" to the rear every turn. Leave the Dryads in place. This is sometimes referred to as a "soft anvil". It's not nearly as hard are most, but will pull the enemy in while maximizing the number of S4 shots. If the enemy chooses to pursue the GG, they open themselves to flanking charges from the Dryads. Combined with the WR, you can break most anything.

Oh, and don't bother with Unit Champs on most WE units. They're not worth the hassle.

Vlad
09-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Well, a balance you want, padavan young?:)

First, you will need a strong army core- units, that will hit fast,hard and die not-so-easy.
I concider 2-3 units of archers, 3 units of dryads, alter/hail o'doom noble, scrollcaddy and a Pinnochio a good start of a mixed army.
Do you want more shootiness or some stabby-killy goodness?

Goresmack
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the help, using the GG/Dryad rows and columns I have found great success, it hasn't hurt to have a unit of WR and 2 GR running around march blocking and flanking.

I still haven't found a hero/lord I'm really happy with and I want to convert a dragon from the high elves but I'm concerned it will be over kill. Any suggestions on the hero/lord options?

-Goresmack

zealot
11-27-2009, 01:18 AM
asrai.org is completely devoted to WE on a level that only a forum can achieve. go check it out and introduce yourself

Mazelf
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the help, using the GG/Dryad rows and columns I have found great success, it hasn't hurt to have a unit of WR and 2 GR running around march blocking and flanking.

I still haven't found a hero/lord I'm really happy with and I want to convert a dragon from the high elves but I'm concerned it will be over kill. Any suggestions on the hero/lord options?

-Goresmack

try the standard alter noble:

alterkindred, GW, Helmof the Hunt, HoDA

Ive always enjoyed using him...