PDA

View Full Version : C'tan Builds?

FTE-Charge!!!
12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering what the players out there are using on their C'tan shards?

I havent used one yet but from building a list I chose Pyreshards (to take adv of his BS 5) and Times Arrow to put the hurt on some nasty HQ or Mon Critter he might come into contact with.

Overall I find him pretty expensive and not sure if he will be worth it.

So- what kinds of upgrades are you giving your stargod?

Jambo
12-13-2011, 04:08 AM
normally i use writhing worldscape and i chop and change my second. I have had alot of luck speacially when you use him with cryptek with a tremor stave or use the travellar works well:D

thecactusman17
12-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Writhing Worldscape is definitely a useful ability, even if you don't combine with Orikan or a tremorstave.

Thunderbolt is potentially a great option for a shooting C'Tan, there's no denying the utility of a BS5 lascannon.

Time's Arrow has a nasty level of abuse when mixed with Whip Coils from the Wraiths.

If melta is extremely prevalent in your local metagame, look into Lord of Fire to both protect your model and threaten your opponents.

FTE-Charge!!!
12-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I was actually thinking about playing with Swarm of Spirit Dust (I think that is the correct name) in order to gain Stealth and grenades. Since the C'tan ignores difficult terrain he could just keep moving through it to gain a 3+ cover. All I would have to do is make sure the terrain on the table is placed in a way that he constantly has bubbles of cover to move into.

I agree that there are different abilities for different circumstances; prob not one overall 'winning' build.

Had my first game with the new rules the other day. Did great. Thinking that my Destroyers (which are now lack luster) could be swapped for the C'tan in 1850 pts games.

thecactusman17
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
The trick with C'Tan is that he can't just use bubbles, he has to have LOS blocked to his person. So that's adownside. But the combo does work well.

Writhing worldscape is the greatest utility item in the codex. By making ALL terrain dangerous, you improve the standing combat resolution of your models in cover and force your opponent to weigh the benefits of entering any terrain. This is ESPECIALLY true with vehicles (aside from walkers, of course) which have a 1 in 3 chance of damaging or destroying themselves while the Shard is still alive.

Lord of Fire is a very useful ability for a single C'Tan, as it is just flat-out cheap. 10 points and in addition to all the other affects, you satisfy your mandatory second power. Saw this last night, it's a great option for small games.