PDA

View Full Version : Necron 2000pts

Bedroom General
12-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Bear with me, I've been busy retooling my Necron force.
Using all my available units (I don't like to proxy, but I'm using my old Lord model as an overlord.)
Plus having customised 4 crypteks and an overlord out of Necron warriors and my bits box, and I'm quite pleased with the look of them. Here's my current list. I'll try to explain/defend my decisions at the end.

Overlord Habakuk
Phaeron, Res Orb, Tach Arrow, Mindshackle Sc.

Court
Cryptek storm
Lightning field, Volt staff
Cryptek Destruction
Gaze, Eldritch Lance

Overlord Shensherib
Phaeron, Res Orb, Tach Arrow, Mindshackle Sc.

Court
Cryptek storm
Lightning field, Volt staff
Cryptek Destruction
Gaze, Eldritch Lance

10x Flayed Ones

20x Necron Warriors
20x Necron Warriors
5x Necron Warriors

6x Scarabs

2x Wraiths, 2x Particle casters

3x Destroyers, 2x Heavy upgrade

3x Tomb Spyders

Monolith

2000pts on the nose!

Ok, so each of the 20 warrior units are joined by an Overlord and one of each Cryptek (one from each court) These units should be hard to club down and can threaten to do damage from turn one.
5 warrior squad is reserved (fabled "Grot" squad)

Flayed ones infiltrate, ds or outflank. (I've finally got round to painting these old metal guys, so I'm gonna play them!) They are a distraction unit.

The two heavy destroyers and their ablative pal will go vehicle hunting.

Ahh, my 2 Wraiths, battled long and hard with these guys, finally decided on particle casters, as I originally intended to use them as assassins with the transdimensional beamers, but points are hellishly tight in this list. and this way they can be a viable threat without getting into H2H. and to all intents and purposes they get an "extra" strength 6 hit vs vehicles before they charge in. I'll generally be moving these guys aggressively while sticking to cover, to create paranoia and try to get into my opponents back lines.

The three Spyders will boost up the Scarabs (I have 18 bases in total, so I should be able to keep adding even if they don't take casualties) I chose six bases as the best size for my points conundrum. Start of my first round I'll have 9 bases, and I think (hope) that should be playable.

Monolith determines where I will attack in strength. I love the corridor rule, It allows necrons to fake fronts and refuse flanks, I love it and am tempted to get another. Maybe.
Anyhoo thats my story.
All I've got left on the shelf are Two destroyers, a destroyer lord with warscythe and 6x Immortals.

This will be the next army list I use, but I'd appreciate any comments and criticism, especially regarding weaknesses/strengths/tactics versus BA(Meph) and Bike SM (Khan).
Thanks in advance.

Demonus
12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
the only problem i have with 20 man warrior squads is that they will still lose most combats and get swept off the field, taking a lot of points with them.

let us know how it fares!

Bedroom General
12-09-2011, 02:43 AM
Hopefully next thursday should provide insight, as I intend to take 'em against SM (Khan)

With the 20 Warrior squads, I was hoping relentless 24" (20 shots), then 12" (40 shots plus 4 voltaic,3 staff of light). Followed by when I get charged (I won't charge unless I have to) D6 st8 ap5 hits on the enemy, along with them losing attack bonus (Gaze is def 'nades) I say bring it.
Then I cry as I inevitably get swept!

Should be fun.

Jambo
12-09-2011, 02:56 AM
nice list mate i had toyed with the idea of using 2 courts but wasn't sure cause i have been having alot of luck with 2 monoliths let my know how you get on with it

Bedroom General
12-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Two monoliths? Jambo what is your current list. I love the idea of two monoliths with this corridor rule.

Akaiyou
12-12-2011, 05:02 AM
I've done some extensive testing on my necrons without the use of Crypteks (i didnt buy any yet and im not so good at converting)

I own about 3,000 pts of the current necrons with the addition of two ghost arks and some immortal/deathmark boxes that i have yet to build.

Anyway with that said i just wanted to point out that I cant say much for the new units yet but on the old units I can say plenty....

Monoliths = WIN, teleporting any necron unit short of a vehicle is amazing if you deep strike the monoliths into big tactical positions this has always been a game changer in my games. I have 2 monoliths and often play using both of them.

Flayed Ones = WIN, Outflankign them every time has worked greatly for me, keeps my enemies in check if they try to run or if they are playing defensively. at their price cost which is very very cheap compared to how they were previously im inclined to think of Flayed Ones as Ork Kommandos! Which are great units, and i run them as such, 4 attacks on the charge with a superior stat line to the Ork Kommandos is just too good for their point cost.

Warriors = The TOSS UP, getting weapons that negate AP4 is so easy specially in large blasts that it makes warrior units way too vulnerable. If you don't encounter this type of weapons then you'll have a good chance with your planned strategy but otehrwise u will get hit and hit devastatingly hard to the point that you'll be losing a lot of games just because your warriors cant take a hit. Warriors are great at getting glancing hits on vehicles tho, thats the best use i've found for them. I like to keep the mobs to size 10 - 12 so that they can port through the monoliths, since thats the unspoken transport capacity of a monolith disembarking units.

Destroyers = WIN WIN WIN! Destroyers have been hard at work in my games! I run 13 of them, 4 of which are heavy destroyers and they ALWAYS put in work, they soak up a lot of shots and if they arent dealt with early on my opponent lives to regret it. I highly recommend you add more of these guys. The abundance of 3+ saves warrants it and H.Destroyers greatly help keep vehicles in check

Overlord - Tachyon Arrow is useful. And you should really try to get a Command Barge for your Overlords, the command barge has been epic in every single game i've used in. And thats like 90% of my games playing necrons since the new dex. Combined with an overlord with tachyon arrow i can rush up the enemy lines to harrash them from relative safety and try to 1 shot one of their key vehicles. If i had a warscythe i would take that instea dof the tachyon arrow as the command barge is good enough to let u easily cross enemy lines and move across their vehicles to use the sweep attack. With a warscythe you'll have a solid can opener. Just make sure to watch your rear!

Jambo
12-12-2011, 05:42 AM
@bedroom general ill pm you my list at work today so ill send you it when i get home. yeah two monoliths make it very hard to predict your advances if you position them right :D

FTE-Charge!!!
12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I like the list and the appreciation of using old models! I myself refuse to give up on any of my old units and will instead add new units rather than replace with them.

Your points are tight but I would like to see you do some wound allocation shenanigans on the wraiths and TS. A warsycthe might help your warrior bubbles as the lord will be able to add some combat resolution. The AP 3 shots arent too big of a deal bc at that range you will be pumping out 40 shots from the warriors and a canny opponent can just allocated the AP3's to fewer models.

Make sure you let us know how it does!

Bedroom General
12-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Aargh I'm a procrastinating nutcase! So I picked up two more Wraiths at LGS for cheap. Then I set about trying to fit all of my available units into a 2000pt army. I've tried to take into account a few points made by posters.

Necron 5 2000pts

The Ambassador Shensherib
Necron Overlord. Tachyon Arrow, Res Orb, Phaeron.

Royal Court
4x Harbingers of Destruction, Eldritch Staff x4

The Negotiator Tutmoset
Destroyer Lord. Tachyon Arrow, Mindshackle Scarabs

10x Flayed Ones

20x Necron Warriors
12x Necron Warriors
12x Necron Warriors
5x Immortals

3x Canoptek Wraiths. Coils x3
3x Canoptek Scarabs
2x Destroyers. Heavy Gauss Cannon x2

3x Canoptek Spyders. Twin linked Particle beamer x3

Monolith

I think that I'll roll with this list tomorrow. It gives me more versatility at the expense of some resilience.
Only have three destroyers, one Immortal, one Warrior and a Necron Lord/Overlord sitting on the benches.
Everything else (Except for 15 spare Scarab bases, lack of numbers initially is my biggest gamble with these guys, but I have a cunning plan...) is on the table.
Will let you know how things went.

apahllo
12-15-2011, 04:16 AM
love the lists, not what i have been seeing lately.
do the tac arrows really work? i havent had one tic in like 12 games against them?

Bedroom General
12-15-2011, 04:35 AM
The battle.
Seize ground (3 objectives).
Dawn of War
I went first, game lasted 6 turns.
Necron victory 2 objectives to 1.

Opponent had
Large bike squad with attack bike and Korraso Khan
6 assault termies in a landraider
10 termies assault cannon
Dread tl lascannon
2 tac squads in rhinos

This wont really be a battle report, I'll just describe each units effectiveness in the game.

Necron 5 2000pts

The Ambassador Shensherib
Necron Overlord. Tachyon Arrow, Res Orb, Phaeron.
* With a Harbinger and 20 warriors, he stood proudly on the central objective all game, except for one moment of maneuvre to hose down bikes and Korraso (Finally killing this resilient foe.) Tachyon arrow didn't penetrate the landraider.

Royal Court
4x Harbingers of Destruction, Eldritch Staff x4
*One in each squad brings a nice 36" punch, blew up a rhino, but hit quite a few times, I like 'em.

The Negotiator Tutmoset
Destroyer Lord. Tachyon Arrow, Mindshackle Scarabs
* Wow, ran with the wraiths, survived a whole bike squad unloading from 12" Unbelievable rolling from both sides. Killed about half in h2h over a protracted fight. Those coils are murder with a Destroyer lord. The mindshackle scarabs went off twice but the normal biker taken over didn't cause any damage. Nice though.

10x Flayed Ones
* Hilarious, came on turn 4 outflanking, behind a landraider with armour value 10! (See Scarabs)
Tore off a las sponson, immobilised and stunned it. They were annihilated by angry Assault terminators in the next turn, but the termies were a bit stranded without their ride.

20x Necron Warriors
*Solid with decent threat range (relentless) and RP (Orb) (Killed Korraso!)

12x Necron Warriors
*Got wiped out, swept and otherwise massacred off an objective by Korraso and his squad when they arrived from outflank. Did not survive long enough for reanimation protocols or ever living to kick in.

12x Necron Warriors
* Waited 'til Korraso had left to attack the Destroyer lord, walked over and took the objective back.

5x Immortals
Their attached Cryptek was the one that blowed up that rhino good. They did pull a unit, perhaps two away from the objective before being Monolithed into a position to shoot the Korraso squad.

3x Canoptek Wraiths. Coils x3
* Fantastic, what I LOVE is managing to get into contact with just one of the wraiths, and watching as defenders react forces the enemy to place more and more models into the coils. The rending went off a few times in the game. Resilient 3++

3x Canoptek Scarabs
* Started with three, ended up with nine, 45 attacks on a landraider, landraider armour 10, look on friend's face....priceless. Died to total overkill retaliation next turn. Fabulous, but now my friend's new high priority target.

2x Destroyers. Heavy Gauss Cannon x2
Plinked at Landraider, Dread to no effect. One couldn't reanimate 'cause his mate had run off the table.

3x Canoptek Spyders. Twin linked Particle beamer x3
Took four wounds total in two rounds of laying scarabs!! But were so tough. Killed half a tac squad (h2h) and a rhino (with the Particle beamer!!) before they were finally shot to death. They were brilliant deterents and fire magnets.

Monolith
* So tough, was shot at heaps. Meltas, lascannons all to remove merely the particle whip over three turns of being peppered. Living metal is good when you make the rolls. Finally killed by eight powerfists and a chainfist. The Mono is great with the corridor making repositioning units a lot of fun. Seriously so tough in this game.

What did I learn?
Reanimation 5+ aint all that. I rolled really badly (Like a Tau) but 5+ is tough. The res orb is definitely worth it in the 20 man squad.
SpaceMarine bikes are tough, hit and run sucks.
Wraiths coils are the nasty.

The army felt quite responsive in the movement phase thanks to run and the jump troops, adequate for the job in the shooting phase and queasy in close combat, except for the Destroyer lord and wraith combo which were sick in a completely different way!

Sorry about the ramble. It was a great game, I must say that I'm liking the new 'dex, even with my old schoolish list.