PDA

View Full Version : GW Paints?

Lucidum
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
How many of you guys use only GW Citadel Paints for your models? Is GW loyalty all that big a deal these days? Are GW Paints actually that well-formulated for use on miniature models?

gendoikari87
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I've tried reaper, I've tried army painter, but GW is what I use. So far it's the best, if I do say so begrudgingly.

JxKxR
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Personally I like reaper. The only problem I have with the citadel paints is the pots they come in makes them dry out faster. But I do like citadel and I haven't found a good substitute for their metallic.

tongalad
12-05-2011, 05:14 PM
vallejo paints all the way.....with a few exceptions like Devlan mud!

At £1.40 for 17ml compared to GW £2.30 for 12ml

gendoikari87
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Personally I like reaper. The only problem I have with the citadel paints is the pots they come in makes them dry out faster. But I do like citadel and I haven't found a good substitute for their metallic.

well I do a lot of airbrushing and if I thin it enough to actually get it to spray it won't adhere, that's why I use GW, it works in airbrushes.

HarlekissofDeath
12-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I lie vallejo paints, but I still use GW foundations, and washes though. Also I usae only GW primers, they are expensive, but they work so nicely.

eldargal
12-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Mostly GW with some Cote d'Arms. I've had nothing but trouble with Reaper, Vallejo and Army Painter though I do use Vallejo satin varnish on my Eldar. It has little to do with brand loyalty and more about my experience with the quality of each. I've never had any trouble with GW paints, the paint itself is good quality so I will pay extra for it.

snikrot
12-06-2011, 04:17 AM
same here i always have problems with with Reaper, Vallejo and Army Painter and i only use them when i need a color they have. Other than that i only really use GW paints because they work the best for me.

elmir
12-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Vallejo fanboy here.

The drop bottle is just far superior and they have a great colourrange, spread over their multiple sets. I use a wide selection of gamecolour, modelcolour and model air. The only GW pots I still own, are the washes and a single pot of boltgunmetal for the occasional drybrushing (vallejo model air metallics are awesome, bit a bit too runny for drybruhsing imo).

gendoikari87
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
yeah the dropper bottles are nice, real nice, and the paints are very good quality, I just don't use them because the clog up my airbrush, and I use that a lot.

fuzzbuket
12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
i dont know, gw is easily availabe and have a nice range of paints BUT some vallego stuff is really good, the only problem is with vallego if you only need a drop of white half the flippin bottle comes out ! humbrol acrilics are neat too and revel is alright for some things (e.g. thier red is quite nice for a blood mix)

-fuzz

elmir
12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
yeah the dropper bottles are nice, real nice, and the paints are very good quality, I just don't use them because the clog up my airbrush, and I use that a lot.

So far, only the modelcolour range has had a tendency to clog my airbrush from time to time. Although that tendency has decreased significantly since I started adding drying retarder to my thinning mix. You should try that... I thin mine with a mix of glaze medium 40% , windex 40% , flow improver 10% and retarder 10%

Model air doesn't need any thinning obviously.