PDA

View Full Version : Necron Armor facings

Nachodragon
12-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Where are the locations of front, Side and Rear armor for the Ghost Ark and Command Barge? Will probably want to know that same thing when the Scythe is released as it looks like it will be very circular as well.

The main book is very vague about how to decide armor facings because it shows a diagram of a box vehicle and a square is super easy to decide facings, also, it is pretty logical for those vehicles that are boxes. I had the same issue with some DE vehicles.

Rapture
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Just imagine a box that held the entire vehicle inside of it and then use where the corners of that box would be to decide armor facings just like you wold normally.

Nachodragon
12-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Square or rectangular? Don't mean to sound stupid, but it could drastically change where the armor is located.

Rapture
12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Think a small box with four 90 degree angles that would just fit the entire vehicle.

SotonShades
12-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Square or rectangular? Don't mean to sound stupid, but it could drastically change where the armor is located.

Rectangular. As rapture said, you want the box to be as long as the vehicle is, and as wide as the vehicle is, but no bigger. I believe there is a picture of the armour facings of Eldar vehicles in the BRB (I may be wrong, but unfortunately I'm packing to move house at the moment so can't get at it to check) or in their FAQ. That should give you a fair idea for other oddly shaped vehicles.

Nungunz
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Just imagine a box that held the entire vehicle inside of it and then use where the corners of that box would be to decide armor facings just like you wold normally.

In my years of playing this game....why have I not thought of this?

Rapture
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
In my years of playing this game....why have I not thought of this?

I prefer very objective interpretations of the game mechanics. Someone I used to play with at least twice a week was the same way. Our games would usually be broken up by 20 minute brain storming sessions about random questions that would come up. We had plenty of bad ideas to counter the good ones though...

Edit: Thinking of that just made me sad. I haven't played in months.

theHman
12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
The ark and monolith are simple, just draw a 45 degree angle from the corners.
That will show you your front, sides and rear.
For the scythe, it's a bit more difficult b/c it's not a box/rectangle but still fairly simple, just do the same thing - draw a 45 degree angle from the front wing tips.

Nachodragon
12-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I am not at home otherwise I would take a pic of the ark from the top and then use my wonderful paint skills to draw. I also had issues with the DE Raiders or Ravagers (can never remember which is the troop transport) and their long noses and where the front ends and the side begins.

http://i.imgur.com/gxJn6.png

MaxKool
12-03-2011, 07:33 PM
yah u cant quite make a box to do rectangular models. Better to just take 45s off the corners of the mode as per the Logiclal one above... cause I sure aint giving that huge *** rear arc up as showin in the 90deg model.....the circle ones are easy as they fit into a square pretty easily....

Uncle Nutsy
12-03-2011, 09:28 PM
I am not at home otherwise I would take a pic of the ark from the top and then use my wonderful paint skills to draw. I also had issues with the DE Raiders or Ravagers (can never remember which is the troop transport) and their long noses and where the front ends and the side begins.

http://i.imgur.com/gxJn6.png

that fits what's in the rulebook, so i'd have to say that's how you do it.

Nachodragon
12-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Which one is in the rule book? Cause, the rule book shows a land raider and anything that is a box is super easy to know which facing is which, if someone can't tell, well... don't want to say they are an idiot, but well I guess that is what I did say. It is a box but the lines don't go to the corners of the box but rather to the corners of the vehicle, again really easy to tell and helps not at all for those vehicles that are irregularly shaped. For another example of what is what, see a DE raider. I see it as the first example in the diagram I drew. If your talking about the 'logical' one well there is no logical area for the side armor to give way to the rear armor, hence, this discussion.

If needed I can try and take a pic of a real ark from above.

Uncle Nutsy
12-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Which one is in the rule book? Cause, the rule book shows a land raider and anything that is a box is super easy to know which facing is which, if someone can't tell, well... don't want to say they are an idiot, but well I guess that is what I did say. It is a box but the lines don't go to the corners of the box but rather to the corners of the vehicle, again really easy to tell and helps not at all for those vehicles that are irregularly shaped. For another example of what is what, see a DE raider. I see it as the first example in the diagram I drew. If your talking about the 'logical' one well there is no logical area for the side armor to give way to the rear armor, hence, this discussion.

If needed I can try and take a pic of a real ark from above.

It looks like a predator with a square outline, cut into quarters going over the corners of said tank. pg 60, lower left corner.

SotonShades
12-04-2011, 06:36 AM
As I remember it, you take the box from the first picture, then draw 45 degree angles off of the corners, rather than taking the diagonal line that crosses through the box. Who ever is in that arc fires on that facing (individual models, not units).

SeattleDV8
12-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Nothing in the rules state '45 degrees' in fact the example in the rule book is NOT '45 degrees'

Nachodragons first drawing is the correct way.

mallet_man
12-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Seeing as the armour values are 11 all round on these vehicles where does this question matter?

Nachodragon
12-05-2011, 11:44 AM
It matters if they still have Quantum shielding, which only covers the Front and side and gives +2 armor to those facings.

Necron2.0
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
As SeatleDV8 said, the first drawing is the correct one, per the BRB. Basically, the only way to get a shot past the shielding on a Ghost Arc is to be looking right up its butt.