PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous sales technique

Psychosplodge
11-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Went in the GW near our lasses the other weekend to find all new staff.:eek:
Not a major problem, asked the young lass serving what the crack was and got "dunno we started yesterday"
fair enough.
Although in the couple of weeks since I've found their lack of product knowledge somewhat alarming, release dates for books etc, they seem to be able to do little more than point at the pc next to the counter, where as before I could always find out the dates for black library release from the old staff, and everyone knows the internet date relates are the general release date not GW release.

Now on top of that was served by the manager for first time today, found his attitude to be very poor. VERY high pressure sales technique, and not just the usual "are you alright for paints and glue", or "do you need anything else?"

I mean I'm buying two books and if I'd wanted an audio book I'd have A) picked it up, and B) picked it up.
Fair enough if it could be new manager enthusiasm, or it could be me being used to being recognised enough by the old staff for them to know I'm after books.
But if this is how GW are going I'm going to start taking the delay and buying cheaper online from Play or Waterstones or someone.

eldargal
11-28-2011, 01:03 AM
It really varies from store to store, GW do give guidelines on what and how to sell things but the better store managers take a more laidback, friendly approach.

Psychosplodge
11-28-2011, 02:36 AM
I know, this is probably just a bad example, or over enthusiasm, time will tell.
It is really off-putting though.

Denzark
11-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Name and shame the branch, or it never happened...

eldargal
11-28-2011, 03:43 AM
It is disconcerting, I have lots of stories about poor staff in GW stores. Fortunately the managers of the three stores near us are all very good (one in particular) so generally the dodgy staff get replaced fairly quickly. I'm just thankful I have a good gaming circle/club with its own hall so I don't have to play in a GW store.:)

Psychosplodge
11-28-2011, 04:40 AM
What's annoying is the previous staff were good, at least in terms of product knowledge/friendliness, but probably not hitting targets.

eldargal
11-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Yes that happened to one of the stores I mentioned too, a couple of the old hands left within a couple of months of each other and their replacements were rubbish. One flat out refused to believe I played the game because I was a girl and was quite rude about it.

Grailkeeper
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Women? Working in a GW? Oh my days.

Ps did you mean Crack as in Craic?

Psychosplodge
11-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Not sure what craic means, i meant it in the terms of "what's happened" "what's going on"

Denzark
11-29-2011, 05:33 AM
'Craic' is the genuine boggy spelling - having a good craic is a good party or good time - has led to the use of the saying 'what's the craic?' which is like 'wit up ska me bredren?' or 'excuse me old horse would you mind awfully telling me what is occuring?'

Aldramelech
11-29-2011, 08:34 AM
You've spent entirley to much time over the water my freind :)

Denzark
11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Funny you should say that I'm off on my all expenses paid Christmas Holliday tomorrow, courtesy of HM in conjunction with Crab Air...

Aldramelech
12-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Bummer! Could be worse mate, better then hot and dusty :)

Denzark
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
No mate, is the sandy place - ghanners for Xmas but if I couldn't take a joke I shouldn't have signed...:)

Aldramelech
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Too true............