PDA

View Full Version : more than one defender ward

Lupin
11-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Can i cast defender ward (PoM) on more than one unit at a time?

Where do i find this information?

thank you

plasticaddict
11-25-2011, 08:14 PM
If it's an upkeep spell no, if it's not an upkeep spell yes. If you cast an upkeep on one model/unit it goes away as soon as you cast it on another model/unit.

Lupin
11-26-2011, 07:16 AM
thank you

whitestar333
11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
You can only ever have one copy of an upkeep spell in play at a time. However, what this does mean is that you can effectively have two units affected by it in one turn. You can pay the focus to upkeep the spell, have the unit complete their activation, then activate your caster later in the turn and cast the spell again onto a new target. We call this "cycling" the upkeep, and it allows you to get a little more mileage out of the spell.

tonyzahn
12-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Cycling is really on an effective strategy on offensive upkeeps though. Unless you're planning on incurring free strikes there's no real benefit to cycling Defender's Ward.

whitestar333
12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Yup, but I figured it was worth mentioning while the topic of upkeeps was being brought-up.

computertrucker
12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Another important thing to remember if you ever get into duel caster bigger games. This rule still holds true.. IE if you take Psevy and Pkreoss, even though they both could cast Defenders Ward from seperate casters, you may still only have one version of the spell up for your entire army. Some people dont realize this.

tonyzahn
12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Another important thing to remember if you ever get into duel caster bigger games. This rule still holds true.. IE if you take Psevy and Pkreoss, even though they both could cast Defenders Ward from seperate casters, you may still only have one version of the spell up for your entire army. Some people dont realize this.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Cygnar has the journeyman warcaster, who has Arcane Shield, and many of their casters also have Arcane Shield. I've been playing for a while now, and I've never heard anything that prevents such a setup from having 2 arcane shields up (just not on the same unit).

mikethefish
12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Indeed - computertrucker is not correct in his statement. As long as the duplicate spells are coming from multiple sources (a journeyman caster, a 2nd warcaster etc.), then you are good to go.

Lupin
02-04-2012, 11:02 AM
never thought about cycling... thanks for the great idea! :D

JBRocky
03-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Cycling is really on an effective strategy on offensive upkeeps though. Unless you're planning on incurring free strikes there's no real benefit to cycling Defender's Ward.

Was going to mention Cycling and how its only really good for offensive spells but well people beat me to it. Very hady way to go about things and shows how important order of activation really is.