PDA

View Full Version : Necron 2k, first bash.

Sonikgav
11-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Since it seems the Necrons are moving away from the Mech lists of 5th ed ive tried something fancy.

Essentially its all about World Domination. The Ctan for Worldshaper, the Tremorstaves to up that danger and then Massed Infantry fire with some Anti Vehicle-ness too.

Traveller - 165
Harbinger of Destruction - Solar Pulse - 55
Harbinger of Transmogrification - Harp of Dissonance - 55

Overlord - Phaeron, Warscythe - 120
Harbinger of Transmogrification - Harp of Dissonance - 55

Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
(Travellers Upgrade and the Phaeron with Relentless is added to one or 2 units as i see fit)

Ctan Shard - Writhing Worldscape, Spirit Dust - 240

Scarabs x10 - 150
Scarabs x10 - 150

Annihilation Barge - Gauss Cannon - 90

Total = 2000

Model wise ill admit it is a TINY army but its tricksy enough it might get away with it. Its much more about Synergy, disabling enemy units and picking them off. Any thoughts?

Tynskel
11-19-2011, 09:25 PM
the harp is pretty expensive. Personally, I like the seismic stone more. Quake combined with d3 less inches on charge is pretty good.

Annihilation Barges are not fast, so you have to sit still to fire all weapons, which is fine, except, I worry about your anti-tank. The army does not have speed, or ranged anti-tank (other than a 1 shot tachyon arrow) and 2 str 8 shots. The solar pulses are good for some cover, but I have a feeling more n' more players will start taking items to negate the solar pulse advantage.

The traveller could possible give you an 'extra' anti-tank with his power.

I feel, though, that taking a Night Scythe or Ghost Ark n' warriors to transport the Traveller and Co. to take advantage of the 'cover of darkness' to reposition maybe worth while. That, or a Monolith to teleport through.

Or the other approach--- Hv Destroyers + a Doom Scythe or Doomsday Ark.

Sonikgav
11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
The Harps are questionable ill give you that, though most of your other suggestions are essentially....throw away the list and start again?

I am considering dropping the Annihilation Barges for a unit of 5 Heavy Destroyers but i really dont like how overpriced their statline.

If there was another way to get some more reliable AT firepower in there i may go for it. Perhaps ill give the Ctan his Lascannon ;)

Traveller - 165
Harbinger of Transmogrification - Crucible - 40

Immortals x10 - 170 (Travellers Upgrade)
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170

Shard - Writhing Worldscape, Thunderbolt - 265

Scarabs x10 - 150
Scarabs x10 - 150

blackarmchair
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
To be honest, I've got a few games in with new 'crons and anti-tank is not as big a deal as everyone thinks.

Annihilation Barges do A NUMBER of AV10/11 and to be honest your scarabs can handle quite a bit else. I've tested them against marines and imperial guard so far and my few games neither opponent had any transports left by turn 3. As a note, I've been using Imotekh and he is a BEAST for MSU armies; you get to roll for his lightning SO many times and once units get out of their transports d6 hits can really mean a lot on a 5-man squad.

Scarabs can ream just about anything and barges can hit rhinos. The rest of the army needs to be anti-infantry focused so you can actually kill what you force out of transports.

The Twilight Fade
11-21-2011, 06:09 AM
To be honest, I've got a few games in with new 'crons and anti-tank is not as big a deal as everyone thinks.

Annihilation Barges do A NUMBER of AV10/11 and to be honest your scarabs can handle quite a bit else. I've tested them against marines and imperial guard so far and my few games neither opponent had any transports left by turn 3. As a note, I've been using Imotekh and he is a BEAST for MSU armies; you get to roll for his lightning SO many times and once units get out of their transports d6 hits can really mean a lot on a 5-man squad.

Scarabs can ream just about anything and barges can hit rhinos. The rest of the army needs to be anti-infantry focused so you can actually kill what you force out of transports.

Anti-Tank hasn't been an issue so far as scarabs and gauss are just too good at it. However the Annihilation Barge is typically anti-infantary. AP- is terrible at anything short of suppressing which gauss does just fine anyway.

Orks have no hardly any anti-mech outside of CC and they do just fine so the sentiment "throw some more scarabs at it" is probably just fine and save the annihilation barges for the infantry :)

reveric
11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
One of my favorite anti-tank is the traveller on a command barrage. In theory, he can kill three tanks one turn a game and two tanks the rest of the game. I took three Annihilation Barge in a practice run and I love them but three is to many. Take two and something else and see if you get what you need done with out it. 90 points is a lot of points for more warriors or points towards a stalker.

Sonikgav
11-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Ok ive had a rethink and heres the result

Traveller - 165

Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170

Shard - Writhing Worldscape, Pyreshards - 235

Scarabs x7 - 105
Scarabs x7 - 105
Scarabs x7 - 105

Canoptek Spyder x2 - 1 Gloom Prism - 115

My only real question is about the Scarabs. Keep them as 2 full 10 base units and save 15 points, or keep them as 3 units of 7. One big blast can wipe out a smaller unit, but at least as 3 units i can spread them out further. Any opinions?

The Twilight Fade
11-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Looks sound overall, I'd keep the scarabs in three squads myself, more target saturations and forces your opponent to make choices, they are easier to kill yes but you cover more area and you need to get to the mech before they get assaulted.

Maybe find points for a 3rd tomb spyder? Having your scarabs boosted by three bases everytime is sure to keep them alive longer

Sonikgav
11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
I could drop the Crucibles, remove a Solar-pulse for a Third Transmogrification Cryptek (more Quake to work with the Shard) and squeeze in a third Spyder.

Hows this, i dont think im breaking any Cryptek Rules (You can have as many as you like of a certain type just by changing their weapons but its the extra wargear u cant duplicate) and i dont think id need the Solar Pulse thing for more than a turn really since remember it hurts both sides and against a combat army i dont want to give them cover of darkness for too long.

Traveller - 165
Harbinger of Transmogrification, Crucible - 40

Harbinger of Transmogrification - 30

Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170

Scarabs x7 - 105
Scarabs x7 - 105
Scarabs x7 - 105

Canoptek Spyder x3 - 150

Id also consider Dropping the Last Crucible and a Barge for another 2 Spiders. I dont think i can squeeze enough for 3. Or possibly just make 2 units of 2 Spyders and put the extra points into extra Scarabs. The question is however is if 1 Barge on its own is effective enough.

Then of course theres the 'How the hell do i buy Spyders and Scarabs these days?' question to answer.

Brosef Stalin
11-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Then of course theres the 'How the hell do i buy Spyders and Scarabs these days?' question to answer.

Haha, uh, eBay? Or just waiting for the second wave of products...

List looks pretty excellent, though! I'm planning on using a similar list this weekend, so here's hoping it works!

Sonikgav
11-24-2011, 02:01 PM
I have noticed one thing. Now my Cryptek gear isnt conflicting i could add them to the same court and drop the Lord.

All im paying for the 120 point cost for the lord is for one unit to get Relentless and a little more combat ability. Can 120 points get me something much more worthwhile? Could drop an Annihilation Barge and just drop in a Monolith lol. Then if 1 Barge isnt that effective alone i drop that and add More Spiders/Scarabs!!

Jambo
11-25-2011, 03:50 AM
nice list mate im testing mine out tonight :D

Sonikgav
11-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Ok, the last revision before i start building this thing.

Traveller - 165
Harbinger of Transmogrification, Crucible - 40

Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170
Immortals x10 - 170

Scarabs x7 - 105
Scarabs x7 - 105
Scarabs x7 - 105

Monolith - 200
Canoptek Spyder x2, 1 Claw, 1 Prism - 125
Canoptek Spyder x2, 1 Claw, 1 Prism - 125

Dropped the Annihilation Barges completely, looks very much like a 'classic' Necron army with almost no new units outside of the HQ. I figure the Monolith can make up for the firepower lost by the Barges and adds the Tactics of the portal.

More Spyders means theres actually a fair chunk of Monstrous creature combat in this list and the claws let me allocate wounds as well as being able to fix up the Monolith if needed.

Brymm
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I like this new list a lot. I notice it seems like the Necron lists are going in one of two directions:
1. Stormlord/pulse/scarabs/spyders
OR
2. other HQ, Worldscape C'tan, Tremorstave/scarabs/spyders...

Either way, there is going to be a lot of letters being sent home to Momma Space Marine/Imperial Guardsmen with cause of death being listed simply as "Scarabs."

Sonikgav
11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Yeah the only real debates i have is over some tactical thoughts.

Solar Pulse - Usefull since i have 0 Transports (unless u include the monolith) so that one turn of Cover will let me position but i could almost get another 2 Tremorstaves in for that. Suppose it does give me a Lance.

Monolith - Portal is very tactically usefull as well as the destructive firepower the 'Lith brings. Its also that big 'OHMYGOD' unit that all but the most experienced cant help but shoot at. Along with the Ctan it means those nasty, nasty Scarabs get ignored.

Gloom Prism - This is one ive seen in practice and im thinking that with what are the top level armies atm, and the amount of Psychic out there (Lash, Cleansing Flame, Jaws) id be silly not to have some Psychic Defence. The army isnt planning on spreading out that much so why not a couple of blockers. Then i realise again, their points = another Tremorstave ;)

Immortals - By finding 10 points (bye Crucible) i could swap out 30 of those Immortals (Save one unit for the Traveller) and instead take 40 Warriors. More Shots and greater numbers but lower strength and less resilient. Plus since there are 0 Orbs in my list i cant counter that weakness.

And yeah i get what you mean about the Scarabs. Theyre a little spammy right now, once people learn them theyre gonna be trickier to use effectively but thats when people stop squeezing them into 'allcomer' lists and we start seeing armies built around 9 Spyders + 3x10 Scarabs.

karandras
12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I like this list too. Looks good. Very different than anything that I have come up with. Good Luck!

Sonikgav
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
One last idea that im going to try out after playtesting would be to Drop the Monolith and one unit of Scarabs for 6 Wraiths with 3 Cables + Buffing the other two Scarab units.