Rune Priest
Living Lightning/Jaws of the World Wolf/Wolf Tooth Necklace
110 pts.

Wolf Priest
Wolf tail talisman
105 pts.

Elites
Wolf Guard Pack (3)
Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
Wolf Guard: Frost Blade/Melta bombs (Blood Claws Pack)
129 pts.

Wolf Scouts (5)
Wolf Scout: Meltagun
85 pts.

Troop
Grey Hunters Pack (8)
Grey Hunter: Wolf Standard
Grey Hunter: Plasma Gun
Grey Hunter: Mark of the Wulfen
155 pts.
{Drop Pod}
35 pts.
190 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
Grey Hunter: Meltagun
165 pts.
{Drop Pod}
35 pts.
200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (6)
90 pts.
{Razorback}
40 pts.
140 pts.

Blood Claws Pack (10)
150 pts.

Heavy Support
Long Fangs Pack (5)
Squad Leader
Long Fang: Missile Launcher
Long Fang: Plasma Cannon
Long Fang: Lascannon
140 pts.

Land Raider Redeemer
Multi-Melta
250 pts.

Total 1499 pts.

The list is suppose to be an all comers army for a tournament I am going to be doing for a few weeks. The idea is to have the Drop Pod with the Meltagun Grey Hunters come in in the middle of the enemy to disrupt them along with the Scouts.

The other Drop Podding Grey Hunters will have the Rune Priest with them an the idea is to have them come in second turn on an object or to help disrupt, depending....

The Long Fangs will obviously sit back and the Grey Hunters in the Razorback will be basically in reserve to help out where needed or defiantly control an object/pop heavy armor with the twin-linked lascannon. The Blood Claws will role in the Redeemer and just bum rush up to unload.

Also, this list is also kind of prepping for a 2000 pt list to include Thunderwolves, a dreadnought drop podding and Wolf Guard drop podding...obviously some things will have to be taken out for that to work but that is the idea.

Thanks for the input!

B-rock
11-17-2011, 09:05 PM
hey,I run a list kinda like this. One thing i see is take out the razorback squad. Give the long fangs two different weapons or one similar weapon, not three weapons and give them a razorback with lascannon. Give your land raider extra armour. take out the one rune priest and add a wolf priest to the blood claws.

Duke Vorian
11-18-2011, 06:06 AM
I already have a Wolf Priest for the Blood Claws. As for taking out the Rune Priest I am slightly in favor of him. I understand all his pluses, especially for Space Wolves, but I just recently started rolling with him and I'm just not really feeling it. As for taking out the Razorback Grey Hunter squad I have thought about that as well. I defiantly like having the Razorback with the twin-linked lascannon rolling around, but I like the fact of having the extra Grey Hunters for those close objectives and/or intimidation. If, I took both of those out I would probabaly replace the points taken out with a dreadnought in a drop pod, an additional Grey Hunter to make up for the space lost in the Drop Pod/Grey Hunter squad he was going to role with and that would still leave me with 45 points.

I like the idea of beefing my Wolf Scouts up, giving them a Wolf Scout with the Mark of the Wulfen, is defiantly a scary thing popping up behind u...that would be 30 pts, leaving me 10. Wolf Tooth Necklace for the Wolf Priest?

blackarmchair
11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Blood Claws/Wolf Priest thing. I've tried it before and I always find myself wanting more Grey Hunters. If I were you I'd get another squad of hunters instead of the claws and swap out the wolf priest for a rune priest. Especially in 1500 you shouldn't need too much counter-assault (land raider is overkill) I'd replace it with 1-2 vindicators and/or 1-2 long fangs packs to taste.

Just my thoughts, good luck!

reveric
11-18-2011, 11:50 PM
sorry, i thought you had two rune priest. I would take hunters not blood claws, as would blackarmchair. I on the other hand love a landraider at 1500. I also never seen the wolf guard worth it. I take full packs of hunters. with that and the razorback squad gone you can take another long fangs i bet. There is a reason long fangs are hated on so much so use them and lots of them too. :)

Denzark
11-19-2011, 03:14 AM
The tactic which I always refer to as 'The Bloodclaws' wet dream', is the Wolf Priest, with 14 and a Wolf Guard, in a LR Crusader. With Wolf Priest Preferred enemy you can get 75% of hits, at 4 attacks - can be massive. It peters out in effectiveness should you use a smaller squad.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
11-19-2011, 10:19 PM
+1 on blackarmchair and reveric. lose claws, more hunters. i like the redeemer even though it is expensive. id lose the pods and put your squads in rhinos that way you can put your squads where you want WHEN you want them and not praying for a reserve roll. i tried the drop pod army it isnt reliable

reveric
11-21-2011, 09:27 AM
id lose the pods and put your squads in rhinos that way you can put your squads where you want WHEN you want them and not praying for a reserve roll. i tried the drop pod army it isnt reliable

Take pods doesnt mean it is a pod list, now more than three pods and it is a pod list to me or you only have pods.

I love pods personally, Wolves do great in them because of counter-attack. Pods add that element of surprise that can throw a person off and getting a pod on turn one adds the ability to pop a landraider, grab a empty objective way off from the rest of the battle, and even drop on your objective. Rhinos in my mind are a rolling coffin.

Also, reserve rolls are not that hard to make after turn 2 and to be honest who wants to have the pod come in on turn 2. I would rather see it later so that my enemy is not really worried about it till it is in play and it is to late like turn 4 or 5.

blackarmchair
11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Just to be clear. The LRR is a thing of beauty, nothing against it. Anything AP3 or better is GOLD in a wolves army. I'm just not convinced 1500 is the best place for one.

reveric
11-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Just to be clear. The LRR is a thing of beauty, nothing against it. Anything AP3 or better is GOLD in a wolves army. I'm just not convinced 1500 is the best place for one.

I personally think a land raider is great at 1500 because ppl don't have the points to bring much in the way of heavy tank busting other than meltas

Duke Vorian
11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Sorry for the late reply to your helpfully input. Work, work, work it seems...

Anywase, I had been reading what you guys had suggested and decided to run it once this last Friday for a quick pick up game against an Eldar army. The guy ran a solid base of 4 squads of 10 Dire Avengers, a Farseer, with Howling Banshees and Fire Dragons anchoring his flanks. Great game, had a blast, and with it being annihilation it was a tie in the end with me not winning because of a couple of stupid mistakes on my part, not so much the list....mostly.

I'm done with the Rune Priest. I never was really crazy about the guy but I ran him since everyone suggested it for the Space Wolves awesome psychic abilities which are awesome, which they are....but just arn't working for me. The Rune Priest has basically been a 110 point 4+ psychic nullifies at best. Hell, my Wolf Priest with his Talisman nullified more in this last battle....so hence, he is out of the pack.

I also sent the Blood Claws packing (hehe, no pun intended). I admit defeat on what everyone has said about how they are a poor choice compared to Grey Hunters. I love the idea of them and though they slaughtered a good number of Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons the only real reason they did so well was the Wolf Priest. Their WS3 really hurt them bad with some blows laid on them that wasn't necessary.

If you haven't noticed yet my Grey Hunters, like always, really shined (save one pack that dropped in and got absolutely butchered from the Bladestorm of three Dire Avenger squads but that was just bad rolling/scatter from the drop pod)

Once big change I made before the battle was cut a few of the Blood Claws for having the Grey Hunter Pack that was footing it for a Drop Pod as well. Proved a great choice.

A lot of the changes may be with the current gaming environment but come the weekend after this I plan on testing the gaming group of the tournament I will be playing it.

Space Wolves
HQ
Wolf Priest
Wolf tail talisman
105 pts.

Elites
Wolf Guard Pack (3)
Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 1)
Wolf Guard: Power Fist/Combi-melta (Grey Hunters Pack 2)
Wolf Guard: Frost Blade/Melta bombs (Grey Hunters Pack 3)
129 pts.

Wolf Scouts (5)
Wolf Scout: Meltagun
85 pts.

Dreadnought
Replace Storm Bolter with Heavy Flamer
105 pts.
{Drop Pod}
35 pts.

Troop
Grey Hunters Pack (9)
170 pts.
{Drop Pod}
35 pts.
205 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (9)
Grey Hunter: Meltagun
165 pts.
{Drop Pod}
35 pts.
200 pts.

Grey Hunters Pack (6)
Grey Hunter: Power Fist
140 pts.

Heavy Support
Long Fangs Pack (5)
Squad Leader
Long Fang: Heavy Bolter
140 pts.
{Razorback}
Twin-linked Lascannon
75 pts.
215 pts.

Land Raider Redeemer
Multi-Melta
250 pts.

Total 1469 pts.

So basically here I cut the Blood Claws, Rune Priest and did some re-organizing: The Wolf Priest and Wolf Guard with the Frost Blade are now with the upped 6 man Grey Hunter Pack in the Redeemer, the other Grey Hunter Pack got its own Drop Pod, Long Fang's got the Razorback and a new addition I have been wanting; a Dreadnought in a drop pod.

I will be drop podding the Dreadnought and the meltagun Grey Hunters in 1st turn and the Razorback will sit back with the Fangs and pop stuff. (Another note is that the Long Fangs have been re kitted out) The Redeemer and third drop pod with the Plasma Grey Hunters will be more reactive to support, or hopefully take stuff on on its own. And the Wolf Scouts will just do their thing and be annoying.

I have 30 pts. left and am thinking a few things: Give the Wolf Priest Runic Armour/add more Grey Hunters for in the Redeemer/add on to the Wolf Scouts.

My biggest questions are this:
1.) I want the Wolf Scouts to be more useful. Don't get me wrong. They have done fantastic, but once they pop that vehicle they arn't dead, they stay alive 8 out of 10 games but I am more of just running them around and that's it. And they do pretty damn surprisingly well in combat and hold out. Should I give them a Mark of the Wulfen?

2.) What about trying to add a Land Speeder Typhoon?

Thanks again guys. I love the suggestions and input, it's a lot of help. Thanks a lot.

blackarmchair
11-21-2011, 11:52 PM
1) 7x scouts, 1x melta, 1x power sword, 1x Mark of Wulfen attach cm/pf wolf guard

2) Yeah, if you're not spamming long fangs these guys (and rifleman dreads) are your next best bet

Duke Vorian
11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
I like your suggestions for the Wolf Scouts. That is kind of what I was thinking of doing for them. As for the 2nd question I think the Land Speeder Typhoons seem like a nice harassing heavy hitter

reveric
11-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Speeders are good and with longfangs you can lay down so much fire your enemy will either just come at you full force or hide and cower with his transports

Duke Vorian
11-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I went down to the local store to pick up a Drop Pod for my other Grey Hunter Pack and had a weird idea for my list.

I was thinking of scrounging the extra points by putting the 6 man Grey Hunter Pack in the Razorback, keeping the upgrades on them, and throw the 9 man Grey Hunter Pack with the Plasma Gun and Wolf Priest attached in the Land Raider Redeemer. That way I'd have the points for the Land Speeder Typhoon. I also thought about dropping the Redeemer for now in exchange for some Thunderwolf Cav..

What do you guys think?