PDA

View Full Version : Monolith Teleport Question

Necron_Lord
11-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Greetings all!

Whilst perusing the new Necron codex I gave the Monolith entry a good look and think that the teleportation ability is quite different. The old Monolith could teleport units out of combat and any unit teleported in such a way got re-rolls for WBB. The unit teleported out of combat had to be within 18" however and then one couldn't use the particle whip. This ability was also restricted to units with the Necron special rule. However I don't think that this is currently the case.

Necron codex p. 47
Dimensional Corridor: At the start of the Movement phase, choose one friendly unengaged non-vehicle Necron unit on the battlefield or in reserve. That unit immediately phases out from its current position and 'disembarks' from the Monolith's portal. Any models that cannot be placed are removed as casualties, but the move is otherwise treated exactly as disembarking from a vehicle that has moved at combat speed.

My question is can C'tan shards, Canoptek units, etc. use the teleport ability now? Does Necron refer to the army as a whole like Vespids and Kroot are in the Tau codex but aren't Tau? Or does it literally mean that they have to be Necrons? In the old codex Necron was a special rule that was listed for every appropriate entry and the teleport entry for the Monolith explicitly stated that only units with the Necron special rule could use it. That is not the case in the new codex. The only restriction is that the teleported unit cannot be a vehicle or engaged in CC.

What do you think BoLS readers? Has this been discussed in your groups? If so, how was it resolved?

Tynskel
11-15-2011, 06:41 AM
hey! yOu are scOOping my thread!

isotope99
11-15-2011, 06:51 AM
I believe that this is everything as the necron special rule is now gone as you say and instead the restriction is "unengaged, non-vehicle".

Most of the non-necron units you'd want to use it for are assault based though, so its not game breaking as they count as disembarking from a non-open-topped vehicle and so can't then assault.

probably going to need the FAQ to get a definitive answer on this though.

lobster-overlord
11-15-2011, 06:55 AM
sounds like they are trying to exclude non-army related stuff that might be friendly (such as in a game of Apoc, or when playing with allies). You can pop any unit through as long as it's necron in origin,like if you're allied with another Necron force, but if you're allied with Blood Angels, you can't pull a friend Assault Squad through. That's how I read it.

Tynskel
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Sounds about right.
Note that the rules specifically states that the Vehicle counts as moving for the disembarking unit. Either you hurry up and wait with assault units, or you pop a shooty unit through...

Necron_Lord
11-15-2011, 09:12 AM
hey! yOu are scOOping my thread!

I went to your thread after creating mine and noticed that.:p However, I asked that question on Fritz's blog a couple of days ago and didn't get any response. Like Fritz, I would like to do a Writhing Worldscape/Tremorstave spam list but didn't want my C'tan Shard to cower in fear all game long. I was thinking that having a Monolith to hide behind in a pinch would be mandatory and then went over the entry. That is when I realized that it (and Canoptek Spyders!) probably could teleport with the Monolith. I likey!:D

Subexarch
11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
The kicker for me is it allows you to "pick" a unit in reserve and just pull them through. That's it. No roll, just "I choose you C'tan shard!" and poof, there they are. Hmm...notice that if your squad of 20 warriors doesn't fit within 2 inches of the portal, it's going to hurt.

blackarmchair
11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah, that all depends on your definition of "Necron". I think Necron Lord is right, any non-vehicle unit in the codex should be legal but given how "Necron" was an actual unit type in the previous codex and given that some units in the new codex have "Necron" in their name I can see this being contentious for some people.

Tynskel
11-15-2011, 09:00 PM
since 'necron' is not defined, other than that there is a codex called 'Necrons', means that it would be every unit, unless Errata.

blackarmchair
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Agreed; you're 100% right Tynskel. I'm just saying that I think this is going to come up a lot for people since people are used to that type of designation from the old codex.

Tynskel
11-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Agreed; you're 100% right Tynskel. I'm just saying that I think this is going to come up a lot for people since people are used to that type of designation from the old codex.

sounds like a reading comprehension problem...

MaxKool
11-29-2011, 04:57 PM
sounds like a reading comprehension problem...

That's rich.....

Tynskel
11-29-2011, 05:43 PM
That's rich.....

Yup, I am rich in words.
However, still a reading comprehension problem.

exinfris
03-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Ok, the Necron codex basically states the Monolith can bring thru units that are in reserve without rolling for them? Am I correct in this? My understanding of the rules are that all reserves must be rolled for. A friend of mine said that Space Marine Droppod armies do it why can't Necrons. Space Marine Drop Pod armies must place half their army in reserve while the other half DS in on the first turn. The remainder of the army must follow the reserves rule found in the rulebook. So are Necrons immune to this rule if they come thru the portal?

Necron2.0
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
In specific, the rule state "At the start of the Movement phase, choose one friendly unengaged non-vehicle Necron unit on the battlefield or in reserve." The rule hasn't been clarified with errata, so the answer is Yes. You can pull one unit out of reserve and immediately deploy it from the Monolith, whether it is scheduled to arrive or not.

Note also that reserves arrive in the movement phase prior to any other movement, so technically any unit arriving normally from reserves in a turn when the Dimension Corridor is used would already be on the table (and thus not in reserve anymore).

Tynskel
03-14-2012, 07:25 AM
These necrons players really like to 'raise the dead' threads

deviant_cadaver
03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Anyone worked out exactly hoe many models you can fit in 2" of it ?

Necron2.0
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Anyone worked out exactly hoe many models you can fit in 2" of it ?

"Hoe", "fit" and "2 (inch)" in the same sentence ... and posted to a gamer geek website no less. You really are asking for trouble, you know that right? ;)

Tynskel
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
"Hoe", "fit" and "2 (inch)" in the same sentence ... and posted to a gamer geek website no less. You really are asking for trouble, you know that right? ;)

yeah, I like to dig 2" holes in the ground that fit golf balls...