PDA

View Full Version : Red Dwarf Series X info for Smeggies

Brass Scorpion
11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Smeggies, there will be a Series X!

"Dear Red Dwarf fan,

We're very pleased to announce that all six episodes of Red Dwarf Series X are to be filmed at Shepperton Studios in December 2011 and January 2012, in front of a live studio audience.

For more information on the recording dates, and on how to apply for tickets, see the Official Red Dwarf Website now!

Red Dwarf / Grant Naylor Productions"

Details: http://reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/11/11/be-in-the-audience-for-red-dwarf-x/

Psychosplodge
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
yay more red dwarf

eldargal
11-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Ihope they do a better job thatn with Return to Earth. Also, I'll believe it when I see it, they have been saying filming was imminent for years. However I am hopeful.

Psychosplodge
11-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Saw Craig Charles at manchester EXPO and he did mention filming in autumn...

Hive Mind
11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
They really should just let Red Dwarf rest in peace IMO. Nothing good will come of this.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-12-2011, 08:24 AM
I've not liked any of the sci-fi stuff to come out of england in the past several years, all feels dumb and contrived to me so I'm not sure how I feel about it - especially after that awful 3-parter a year or two ago. I might give it a chance - but I'm not sure I want my memories tained any more... Red Dwarf hasnt been good since season 6 IMO. 7, 8 and the 3-parter were pretty bad I thought. Of course theres a chance they may of actually learnt from those mistakes...

eldargal
11-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Well personally I quite liked series 7, and some episodes of 8 were good. But I do agree since Series 7 of Red Dwarf we really haven't produced any truly great sci-fi, the closest being Doctor Who which I felt was pretty good up until this current season. But 2005-2010 I felt it wasn't particularly sci-fi, as silly as it may sound. Nearly always being set on earth with aliens visiting it veered well into 'space soap opera', even if it was enjoyable to watch.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Well personally I quite liked series 7, and some episodes of 8 were good. But I do agree since Series 7 of Red Dwarf we really haven't produced any truly great sci-fi, the closest being Doctor Who which I felt was pretty good up until this current season. But 2005-2010 I felt it wasn't particularly sci-fi, as silly as it may sound. Nearly always being set on earth with aliens visiting it veered well into 'space soap opera', even if it was enjoyable to watch.

Hopefully I've worded this is in a way that gets my point across without sounding like a dick (I don't mean to be one if I do sound like that - it's just something I feel very passionate about) - Dr who is actually what I blame for all the current stuff, and imo it should of never come back on TV at all. It kickstarted this whole "pop" sci-fi & fantasy thing with merlin, robin hood, primeval and others following on. All of that stuff is terrible IMO : I used to hold the BBC to a high standard being that they produce classic dr who, red dwarf, blakes7, Star Cops and Quatermass - which were full of depth and intelligence - it seems they have abandoned that for "fun nonsensical fluff" which I guess is fair enough as theres nothing wrong with enjoying that, but from my perspective it's a massive backstep.

For some perspective - I grew up on the Virgin new adventures books in the 90's - Dr who's "adult" era which focussed on gallifreyan mythology, lovecraftian horror and was often pretty dark, slow moving and bleak. It was like a culture-shock when I saw the pilot "Rose" which was the complete polar opposite/

So with all that in mind, hopefully you'll understand my point of view (even if you don't agree with it) why I am feeling somewhat pessimistic about RD's return. I'd simply like to not be dissapointed again. I think I'd feel more hopeful if Rob Grant returned - to me the duel writing between them was what made it work - a bit like Skinny Puppy's music, when Dwayne died it felt like there was a hole left in the band without his input and RD felt like that to me too with season7 onwards.

eldargal
11-13-2011, 12:29 AM
No, I understand your view, as I said I didn't mind the new Who too much but you are right in condemning the 'fun' fantasy stuff that followed. Merlin and Robin Hood are both irredeemably terrible.

Psychosplodge
11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Back to earth was awful, hopefully it will ignore that like it never happened...

Hive Mind
11-14-2011, 01:34 AM
BBC1 and, to an extent, 2 have developed a very disturbing trend towards populism in recent years. I wish they would go back to keeping the crap for morons to BBC3 and Radio1 like they used to.

Thanks the FSM for BBC4, Radio3, Radio4 and the World Service.

Psychosplodge
11-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Did you watch the Derren Brown "The Remote"? still on 4od atm, shows the danger of populism....