PDA

View Full Version : Removing paint from models? Preferredly in a gentle way

Servant of the Emperor
11-10-2011, 04:50 PM
[Didn't know where to put this topic, so I thought here's as good a place as any]

Anyone got any great tips on how to remove paint from models? I've only ever used Games Workshop's official paints.

I've before soaked them in "brown soap" (don't know the English words for it), a thick, brown/golden'ish soap mass that is sticky and very hardcore, then scrubbed them with a toothbrush and/or nail brush.
This is fine for some random old all-metal model, but then, terror struck - one day I was gonna remove a fat layer of paint from my beautifully converted Pasanius, and the GS just came right off too. Killed the model completely, because his arms were bulked from normal size with GS.

This time, I'm looking to remove paint from another conversion, and I don't want the same thing happening again.

Any help would be appreciated.

MaltonNecromancer
11-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Isn't this the third topic on this in as many days? :confused:

Anyway, the answer is Dettol.

Put name brand (not store brand) Dettol in a tub. Put models in Dettol. Leave for a few hours/days. Come back, and use electric toothbrush to remove paint.

Make sure you wear rubber/latex gloves, or else the skin on the palms of your hands will be peeling for a week (it's both disconcerting and unpleasant). Also wear a dust mask, or you'll be breathing in bits of Dettol and paint, and that can't be good for you.

Works on Citadel Paints and Tipp-ex. Don't know if it works on enamels yet; haven't had cause to try it.

It's safe on metal, plastic, and Forge World resin, though I don't know if it's safe on Finecast.

It makes Green Stuff and Milliput go soft if they're left in it for over two days.

Good luck. :)

White925
11-10-2011, 06:22 PM
i use LA's totally awesome to strip my models it works wonders and is really easy to use you should check it out its relatively in expensive too.

PalinMoonstride
11-11-2011, 12:05 AM
15 to 20 minutes in dawn power dissolver. Rinse and lightly tooth brush. Best thing I ever stumbled upon.

http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Power-Dissolver-12-8-Fl-Bottle/dp/tags-on-product/B002PBEGYS

Yriel_The_Angelic
11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
My bud actually uses pinesol, fills a bucket with it throws in the models then uses a brush, works wonders and smells great!

Battle Ready Studios
11-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Simple Green is good and gentle.

Pine Sol is better, but not at ALL gentle.

Lunar Camel
11-12-2011, 01:28 AM
I've used brake fluid with great results. Sit in a bath for 24 hrs and paint comes right off. Doesn't affect plastic, super glue, or green stuff; only the paint. Scrub with an old toothbrush to get the hard to reach places and you're good to go. Just make sure its fluid and not cleaner. Cleaner will melt plastic to nothing.

Root
11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Castro Super Clean in the purple container. After a few hours the paint will come right off in running water with the slightest effort, but it WILL weaken the bond of super glue, especially metal on metal joins.