PDA

View Full Version : [Necrons] Solar Pulse - wording

Denied
11-10-2011, 11:09 AM
So as per the new Necron codex
Solar Pulse: ... One use only. The solar pulse can be used at the start of any turn. If the Night Fighting rules are in effect, they cease to apply until the end of the turn. If the Night Fighting rules are not in effect, then they apply until the end of the turn.

As per GW's standing policy if it is not specifically stated 'player turn' then it applies to an entire game turn (ie my turn then your turn). Now my questions are:

Does this mean the player has to nominate to use it at the start of that specific turn example: It is the top of turn two I go first, at the start of my turn 2 my opponent informs me that this turn he uses his solar pulse (now I either have or don't have night fight).Or can my opponent can decide that on the start of his turn 2 (bottom of turn 2) that he uses his solar pulse which then means he either has or doesn't have night fight and that will carry into my turn 3, but begone by his turn 3? (similar to Waagh!)

Personally, I am leaning towards the later where he can decided when he wants to use it and is not forced to use it at the start of that specific turn.

Additional related question: Lets say it is possible for him to do the second of those two choices up top. Then assuming the player has two Royal courts with two Solar Pulses (possible if you take two separate Royal courts according to:
Any Number of Cryptks that are in a Royal Court can be upgraded to a single, specific type of Harbringer. Whilst you can have any number of harbringers of a specific type, each of the Harbringer's unique wargear options can only be chosen once in each Royal Court

So, with the two Solar Pulses you use one to create Night fight your your opponent; technically this would carry into your turn as well, but you use your second Solar Pulse to remove the Night Fight that you created on your player turn (basically canceling the Solar Pulse you started with another Solar Pulse). Would this then be possible?

DarkLink
11-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Since turn means game turn, and a game turn consists of player one then player two's turns, it seems to me that it has to be at the start of the game turn, and thus the start of player one's turn. It does say 'start of any [game] turn', not 'start of any player turn'.

dr.insanotron
11-10-2011, 12:00 PM
That is wrong. The GW faq is very clear that a turn is a players turn, unless other wise stated as being a game turn

Luke Licens
11-10-2011, 12:28 PM
That is wrong. The GW faq is very clear that a turn is a players turn, unless other wise stated as being a game turn

I could have sworn it was the other way around, but you are correct, sir.

The Turn
Q: What is meant when the term ‘turn’ is used? (p9)
A: Whenever the word turn is used it means player
turn. Otherwise it will clearly state game turn. In a
complete game turn both players get a player turn.
Hence one game turn will comprise two player turns.

Denied
11-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Oh damn! I thought that was the opposite as well. Well that will learn me for not checking the FAQ and going off my memory (its always trying to get me in trouble!)

So, then the question becomes is it possible to use this in your opponents turn. Logically now after looking at it, that would seem to be one of the implied situations to use it.

Well this clears things up ... need to go print a FAQ now and catch up.

dr.insanotron
11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah it makes the solar pulse very powerful. Start in opponents turn end in his turn, necron player is uneffected

JMichael
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
regardless of the FAQ it is on page 9 of the rulebook (the faq just repeated that).

Uncle Nutsy
11-10-2011, 08:48 PM
yeah this one's pretty easy to figure out really..

you finish off your turn (move, shoot, assualt..?) and the start of the opponents' turn, you say "i now use my solar pulse"

boom, he's now in night fight mode.

Nungunz
11-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Since turn means game turn, and a game turn consists of player one then player two's turns, it seems to me that it has to be at the start of the game turn, and thus the start of player one's turn. It does say 'start of any [game] turn', not 'start of any player turn'.

Wrong. Turn always mean "Player Turn" unless otherwise specified.

The necron player may choose to use the solar pulse in his turn OR the opponents turn. Rules are pretty clear on that.