PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start HE, but dont know where to start!

Atreyu
11-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Ive been playing TK for a while and have amassed a solid collection for plenty of games (taking them to Adepticon 2012) :D but Ive always been fascinated by the High Elves as well, and considering starting them...I just dont know where to start! So what are some good spots to focus on??? For mages what lores will make the elves more efficient against some more durable armies or give them even stronger hitting power? What units are a must take? Thank you all for the help!!!

Also, I really want to use a dragon somewhere :0 its just a very beautiful creature altogether.

Metacarpi
11-09-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm not too hot on a starting point for HE, but apparantly the new Army boxset (the bigger battallion, can't remember it's proper name!) is a decent place to start - plus it includes your dragon!

The HE player in my group seems to run a Level 4 Life mage as standard, getting of Throne Of Vines followed by Flesh to Stone makes for some ridiculously hard units, especially considering the Speed of Asyuran (sp?) rule!

Dont-Be-Haten
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey Atreyu!

Welcome to the white isles of the long ears of goodness! xD Its okay I get blasted all the time by my square base group for playing high elves, but I absolutely love them. The biggest problems with High Elves is about 87% of our army are S3 T3 with a 5+ AS meaning we don't win combats through attrition, we hit hard and fast. Our only war machine can strip 6 str 4 shots per turn making it a great monster killer, but T7 can now be killed by S3 and it only has 2 wounds for its points a low str 3 squad of archers can almost certainly kill it with rolling a couple of 6s. Next our units are much more expensive and in all honesty we are for all extensive purposes considered an "elite infantry" army. As mentioned previously Lore of life is an absolute must on our units, we need all the regen/buffs we can get in. With Throne of Vines going off you have a 2+ save against miscasts, with flesh to stone you're going from T5 on your squads to T7 and then dwellers going off is an absolute game changer. For a level 2 to compliment your Level 4 I usually go with Shadow, and with the Seer Staff you certainly want to roll to wound with a strength of 8 instead of 3.

So you're wanting to start out? If you're looking to play in the 'Ard Boyz style 2k points you want a list like this. Here's a pretty cheesey/easy build at 2,000 points I think it actually comes out to 1999.
First of all, depending on if you're style of play is Guda or not, you want a list like this. This isn't the build I play but it is a pretty standard set up, some people will go with a horde of 50 spearmen FC over 35 LSG or something like 35 spears FC and 14 archers light armour Musician.

Lord 25%
Teclis Lore of Life (be prepared for boos and hisses. for his points he is the ABSOLUTE best mage in the game)

Heroes 17%
Lvl2 Mage Seer Staff, Talisman of protection (cheaper in our book for a 6+ ward) Lore of Shadow (You can always drop the 2nd mage for more boots in the phoenix guard or sword masters)

Noble BsB Armour of Caledor, Gaurdian Phoenix, Great Weapon

Core 25%

35x LSG Shields,FC, Banner of Eternal Flame (first among equals is an awesome ability, if you put them 10 wide you'll be be able to volley 30 shots a turn, and then swift reform into 5x7 for stead fast and still be able to brace the charge with stand and shoot, and with the Martial prowess special rule you get to attack with spears in 4 ranks instead of 3!)

Special 30%

20x Phoenix Guard, FC, Musician, Razor Standard (You really don't need the Razor Standard and could actually field 5 aditional Phoenix Guard instead if you so choose not to take the SB, guardian of flame and RS.) This unit is for your mage bunkers, and bsb since Teclis is T2 he needs the extra protection. It is also a great Anvil unit and with the Razor Standard you're ability to cut through heavier armor is appreciated, they are swinging on str 4 so this gives them a bit more omph! You probably want to place them 7 wide as well. Not to mention the great 4+ ward save they give, and they cause fear.

14x Sword Masters, Musician you play them 7 wide 2 deep for maximum swings, on average with this unit you'll be dishing out 21 strength 5 hits and usually with re-rolled misses and WS6 so you'll usually be hitting on 3s wounding on 3s and killing about 4 to 1 ratios with flank charges.

Rare 6%

2x Great Eagles Some people swear by them, others can't stand them, but they are really the only effective war machine hunters that high elves can field. If you want Ellyarian Reavers and Shadow Warriors can do the same thing (and they have vangaurd and skirmish with bows) but great eagles can march block just as well, they march 20" with their fly ability and are our best throw away unit.

You can effectively play without Teclis and most seasons players try not to play him, because he is definitely a win more model. Whenever Teclis is pulled onto the table I always get groans and the whole I couldn't win without him.

So most of the time I take an suited up Archmage. Unfortunately The Dragon is really only suited for 2500+ games, The Prince on Star Dragon is over 500 points and that's without any upgrades. I absolutely LOVE my dragon and even though it is a win less model I still field it as a Dragon mage sometimes. The whole reason for the Dragon is flank charging with a breath attack, but since he will be shot down by warmachines and gun lines that cost fewer points it makes it much much harder to field. But if you can flank him in and get his thunder stomps off it is a great win/win. (In most cases I field the Moon Dragon over the Star because for the points there is a very small window 4+ instead of 3+ str 6 instead of 7)

I started off my High Elf army with the battalion box and two high elf sets from two island of bloods (I traded my skaven to a friend for his elves). And I've built from there. Just let me know your play style and I can give you several other ideas and builds.

bob10182
03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Definitely go with some island of blood stew ti start off. Great price and great models.

Blackthorne
03-07-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm not a HE player but I've fought them many times and I've toyed with the idea of starting them for a while. But here are the things that I find scariest when going against HE:

Great eagles. At least two of them is good, but really they are just incredible. I think they are one of the best units in the game point for point because they are so cheap and mobile and so incredibly useful for a number of different situations.

Shadows magic. I know most people will tell you that life is the way to go with HE but I am never really afraid of a life wizard, even with HE casting ability. If you want a lore that will make you kill stuff more, then it's shadows. If you want a lore that will make you harder to kill, it's life. They both have an uber spell too which helps.

you will also probably need a lvl 4, BSB, and maybe secondary caster and/or combat character depending.

Aside from those two things, you can mix up the army a lot and still be effective. One main thing about HE is that the army really comes down to their special choices. Their core is decent, but most players just fill min core and move on. Their characters are good too but you can only spend so many points on them. Really it comes down to white lions, swordmasters, or phoenix guard (with some dragon princes or chariots thrown in for good measure). Now you can take all three, but they will be pretty small. Most people pick two that they like and take some solid units of those. Which two pretty much depends on what you like -- I have one friend who love phoenix guard and white lions. Another loves white lions and swordmasters and a third uses only white lions and fills the rest with dragon princes and support units. All three elite infantry blocks are good, but they fill different roles so its your call what type of units you want to have.