PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Sisters....could they save the army?

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I have always been very skeptical of the Sisters of Battle. Nothing personal against them, just never liked the look of the female faces.

What I think could get me slightly more interested would be multi-part plastic boxes that allow some nice customisation.

I am a sucker for plastic as I love a bit of freedom in my building of the models. It would be nice if GW would give them a bit of love and make a comprehensive Inquisition codex.

Personally I think some of the best models are part of the Inquisition line, but unfortunately I am not interested in have a metal army either.

Could people give me their thoughts?

If I am mistaken or you have alternate ways of making a nice Inq army, please let me know.

Drunkencorgimaster
09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Sucker? Plastic? Female? I like this post!

Seriously, yes plastic Sisters would be awesome.

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Sucker? Plastic? Female? I like this post!

Seriously, yes plastic Sisters would be awesome.

The only thing missing from that post was "inflatable"

Scoota
09-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree with you, Dark Templar. I would certainly collect an army of Sisters if they were released in plastic with lots of poses, rather than the limited range that are currently available.

I am currently frothing at the mouth about the Inquisition after reading the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses (is that the correct plural? omnibusi? omnibuse? omnibu?) and the potential that they have as an army. Certainly, Inquisitors seem much 'cooler' in the fluff than the 4th ed rules, but GW could make an Inquisitorial warband with Allies rules a true chop-and-change army.

Imagine having your Inquisitor with his/her cronies and being able to induct Sisters or Grey Knights or Death Watch or Imperial Guard at your whim from one Inquisition codex.

In Australia, we're having big discussions about letting women on the front lines in the army. I say let the Sisters frolic in the grim darkness of the far future!

Women against Violence:
The Inquisition says "No!"

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM
It is pretty ridiculous how expensive their range is. They could be made so much more affordable if they did even one basic plastic kit for the troops. They certainly deserve the love, like the other 3rd ed stuff.

DuskRaider
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
You know what would save Witch Hunters? A good and up to date codex, ALONG with plastic Sisters.

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 06:24 PM
In Australia, we're having big discussions about letting women on the front lines in the army. I say let the Sisters frolic in the grim darkness of the far future!

Women against Violence:
The Inquisition says "No!"

I am also in Australia, but I think the Inquisition says "YES!", as long as the women have flame throwers.

MajorSoB
09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Ever hear the phrase "You get what you pay for."?

I have been playing sisters now for over 6 years and I am personally against plastic sisters for one reason, durability.
I have grown my army throughout the years and while I agree it was expensive at first, it has held it value through the years. I have acquired small collects to add to my basic army several times and I would say the beauty of metal models is that they can be stripped down easily and almost never break. A five year old sister model is as good as a brand new one, while plastic marines for example break and lose parts ( bolters, arms, etc).

If you are interested in starting a sisters army, start small and keep an open ear for people looking to get out of the hobby. Try places like Craigslist, Ebay and Bartertown for cheap core armies that you can start with and then grow. This is what I did and now I have at least 4000 points of sisters ( including 6 penitent engines...LOL ).

Maybe plastic would be a good option for some, but I like them the way they are.

Best of luck to any new sister players. They are a fun and flexible army. ( No pun intended.)

Xas
09-10-2009, 06:33 PM
the fun about sisters is that it would only take two sets to make the sisters allmost 100% plastic. sisters /w 2 of each special weapons in a 10 girl box and seraphims in a 5 girl box.

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately I have a hatred for metal models. I put up with metal HQ choices out of necessity, but generally stick to plastics because I like the freedom to adjust poses, weapon loadouts and anything else I feel like doing to customise them.

oni
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Its a niche army within a niche hobby. The only thing that would save them is a new codex with a completely new style of play.

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Its a niche army within a niche hobby. The only thing that would save them is a new codex with a completely new style of play.

Is that really so hard though?

I mean why bother releasing Daemon / Witchhunters in the first place if there are not going to be any real updates or attention paid to them. It really is a disservice to anybody who paid money to build an army, all they get from GW for their cash is some metal models and a slap in the face.

MajorSoB
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Spoken like someone who has never played against them!

Trust me, a well build sisters army in the hands of a decent player is something to be feared in 5th edition. Cheap troops, cheap bolters and special weapons ( meltas and flamers), 3+ armor, the Book of St Lucius, and the proper use of faith points make them a force to be recogned with.

I once took them on the road during 4th edition to a gaming center where no one had ever played sisters. I tabled all my opponents (Eldar, Blood Angels, and Choas) and took first. The next time I played at that store a few months later guess what, two sisters armies had magically appeared!

It really is a disservice to anybody who paid money to build an army, all they get from GW for their cash is some metal models and a slap in the face.

As always I blame Jervis. It sucked monkey balls that throughout Apocolypse there was never one single sisters formation. The current Witch Hunters codex is solid under 5th edition ( and it can be argued that the codex was released with 4th edition in mind ) but Deamon Hunters do need an update since they are way too expensive in comparison to the new army books. Don't even get me started on the promised and them forgotten book of Xenos Hunters ( Deathwatch ). I stopped holding my breathe years ago...LOL

The AKH
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I'd love plastic Sisters purely for the conversion opportunities! They might also push me into starting a full-on Witch Hunters army (I already run a little allied Ordo Hereticus with my Guard).

Aegis
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I could take or leave plastic Sisters, to be honest. What I really want is an update to the codex which does have so many useless units. Also, I want to see a more viable build for a CC Inquisitor...

schoon
09-10-2009, 09:44 PM
I suspect that saying plastic would or would not save the army is besides the point.

A new Codex would do far more good than any models, plastic or metal. However, I think you can bank on plastics IF they ever get around to a new book.

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I suspect that saying plastic would or would not save the army is besides the point.

A new Codex would do far more good than any models, plastic or metal. However, I think you can bank on plastics IF they ever get around to a new book.

Well I love the hobby more than the game. So new plastics would be enough to get me in straight away. But I agree that a new codex = new plastics, but a metal army is not in most peoples' budgets.

imperialsavant
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=MajorSoB;18308]Spoken like someone who has never played against them!

Trust me, a well build sisters army in the hands of a decent player is something to be feared in 5th edition. Cheap troops, cheap bolters and special weapons ( meltas and flamers), 3+ armor, the Book of St Lucius, and the proper use of faith points make them a force to be recogned with.

Yes I agree! I have played Sisters since the old Black Rule Book & thought we would never get an update but the Witchhunters Codex &the exorcist etc gave them some much needed "bite"!

You need to learn their strengths & weakness's & Acts of Faith are always your best Friend.

I will continue to play mine even if no plastics are released. They have some beautiful Metal Models & there are many other Armies that still only have All Metal. E.G. Valhallans, Mordians etc.

As an aside I just "creamed" a 1000 Sons + Daemons Army with my Sisters & it was against an experienced Chaos Player.:cool:

Dark_Templar
09-10-2009, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=MajorSoB;18308]

As an aside I just "creamed" a 1000 Sons + Daemons Army with my Sisters & it was against an experienced Chaos Player.:cool:

I just creamed....

TheBitzBarn
09-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Sisters need no Saving.

I love Metal due to the Details you can get and the durability and if you seal right they done chip that bad(biggets Complaint) and for some reason people think metal is harder to paint(not true). I love sisters being metal keeps the flavor of the month players away( i know sounds elitist).

What sisters need is again a new codex but hell so do Dark Eldar, Blood Angles, Necrons, Daemonhunters, and so on and so on. but instead we get Apoc. and Planetstrike seems like they missed the mark.

Just my two cents

Thanks all

Exitus Acta Probat
09-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Sisters need plastic.
Certainly, the models are nice...and one of the better all metal armies, BUT with the last few plastic sets AND the termies from Space Hulk, we know the level of detail possible for GW could produce both Sisters and GK's doing them justice.
Metal is no longer necessary.
Plastic would allow sprues containing all the spcl wpns/hvy wpns available the squads.
Plastic would allow even greater diversity than is available.
Plastic would allow for a Cannoness/Palatine box set like the SM commander/CSM Lord.
Plastic rollover for Sisters would be a gawd-send for us.

Rules wise, they are 2nd best of the truly 'out of date' dexes (DE are better), and if you don't try to do a true witch-hunters army and just go almost all sisters you can break your foot off in someone at tourney!

Wolfshade
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I think the two will probably go hand in hand. Certainly the multi-part plastic kits that are realsed now are awesome and while some have argued are more fragile certainly make simple conversions easier and gives each model a more unqiue look/pose. Then when the new codex is released whenever that is, no this is not a rant that my codex has been waiting X years for an update where as codex Y has had 37 revisions in that time, they will have the moment in the limelight as the new uber units and codex creep are shouted around or more-over people get used to playing them, it happens all the time new codex, new super units just see the main BoLS page, space marines have the best troops, no imperial guard have, no space wolfs have, no wait <<insert latest army released>> have.

Certainly it will be interesting to see how GW deal with the sisters in a future codex...

Dia
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I think the two will probably go hand in hand. Certainly the multi-part plastic kits that are realsed now are awesome and while some have argued are more fragile certainly make simple conversions easier and gives each model a more unqiue look/pose.

Certainly it will be interesting to see how GW deal with the sisters in a future codex...

Agreed that they'll probably be a packaged deal: new codex and new (plastic) models.

And I'd actually argue that for normal handling and use the plastic kits are more durable. Paint chipping isn't really an issue, they don't fall apart without pinning, nobody's going to get hurt when you hurl a plastic model accross the room in a fit of rage, and, as Wolfshade mentions, they're better suited to conversion work. And let's not forget the cost.

Metal is easier to paint strip in that it doesn't require as much finesse as a plastic model, but that's really the only advantage I can think of right now.

Legionary
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I am personally against plastic sisters for one reason, durability.

Plastics aren't less durable than metal models. Quite the reverse actually - ever dropped a metal model and bent something? Doesn't happen with plastics, usually plastic infantry models just bounce. Metal models are prone to being chipped, too.

About the only advantage of them is that they have a nice weight about them which gives them a certain prestige when you pick them up, and that they can be stripped without headaches.

I'd gladly trade stripping and weighting for cheaper models that I could pose and more easily convert.

oni
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Perhaps I was a bit short with my reply...

Is that really so hard though?

I mean why bother releasing Daemon / Witchhunters in the first place if there are not going to be any real updates or attention paid to them. It really is a disservice to anybody who paid money to build an army, all they get from GW for their cash is some metal models and a slap in the face.

I'm not saying they should be abandoned, just redone from the ground up, a complete make over, a fresh start if you will. This also doesn't mean they have to abandon what makes the army unique either.

Spoken like someone who has never played against them!

I agree, they are a force to be recognized. I'm just saying they're out dated. I don't think anyone can argue with that. ;)

TheBitzBarn
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Who are the sisters outdated becuase they have Metal Models?

I do not want a complete fresh start GW said that 4 years ago about Dark Eldar and Look where they are.

Logan
09-12-2009, 02:21 AM
There are clearly a few things to hate about metal models (lack of options, having to pin loose parts, price, etc...) but the main one for me is that due to the metal moulding process that relies on a two part mould being injected with the casting metal the models always have an inherant 2D feel, all of the features are designed to work around a plan that can be neatly divided into two seperate halves generally divided laterally. As well as the other limitations of this, it does mean that mould lines cannot be artfully hidden by the design of the model (in many cases it places a mould line across the centre of a face or other key feature).
Many of these issues could be resolved by the introduction of multipart metal models on a standard troop scale, but I would not want to have the nightmare of assembling 6+ part metal marines/ guard/ etc...
Sisters of Battle suffer more than most other armies from this, though they are not alone.
GW is pouring time and effort into improving the quality and range of it's plastic models (and it shows) which for me means that their metal ranges will never get any better than they are now, and any future metal releases will suffer the same problems as they have done for years.

Dark_Templar
09-12-2009, 03:33 AM
For me plastic durability is not a problem, I am not known to throw my minis against brick walls to see if they survive.

Using plastic glue, the two plastic parts fuse together, essentially forming a permanent bond which takes A LOT of separating if you happen to decide later on that that particular arm looks crap...**damn heavy bolter scout**

Skragger
09-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Ever hear the phrase "You get what you pay for."?

I have been playing sisters now for over 6 years and I am personally against plastic sisters for one reason, durability.
I have grown my army throughout the years and while I agree it was expensive at first, it has held it value through the years. I have acquired small collects to add to my basic army several times and I would say the beauty of metal models is that they can be stripped down easily and almost never break. A five year old sister model is as good as a brand new one, while plastic marines for example break and lose parts ( bolters, arms, etc). )

I never run into that problem with plastics. So how roughly are your treating your models? And thats nothing carring a little tube of Testor's plastic glue around cant solve. The primary issue people have with plastic, they claim, is durability. Then I notice they're using the GW super glue.. this is why! Dont use the GW super glue, use a good plastic glue.. it makes the parts harder to break than the metal models are!

I for one despise working with metals. The parts never properly fit together (looking at you Killa Kanz), you have to wait forever with your hands being impaled by spikey parts (anyone whos had to put metal CSM knows what I'm talking about), and the paint never really wants to stick to em, no matter you undercoat with.

As for those SoB.. I think they would benifit from plastic for sure, as long as they finally found a decent sculptor who can do female bodies that dont like like men with bad, bad wigs. And faces... my god they are the ugliest women..

sorri
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
My first army is Sisters, which I started right when 5th Ed. came out. I'd never known how easy it could be to put together plastic models with plastic glue (heck, I'd never even known about plastic glue) and even put together the first rhinos/Exorcists with super glue because I didn't know any better. Having put together Tyranids, CSM, SM since then, I can't believe how much more difficult it is to work with the metal models. And with what they can now do with plastics, I really don't see any need to make any of the models metal anymore. It would make the process cheaper, and it would make the models cheaper, and it would make everything lighter as well.

Really, at this point in the technology curve, I don't see any reason any models should not be plastic anymore. And I would *love* to have more plastics for the Sisters.

Cadwallion
09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I grow tired of having to buy a specific model in order to get a specific gun, the lack of customization, the higher cost to making the army (cheap troops means you have to buy more, which means that extra markup for metal hurts that much more), but most importantly, I grow tired of having what feels like a starting handicap with my Sisters of Battle army.

I'd love to see some example 5e lists that people are doing some foot-breaking, because in a 1v1 game higher than 500 points my feet are used to brace for the violation about to ensue.

Plastic models would certainly make my life a lot better, although I suspect it'll only happen when a new codex comes out, which isn't likely to happen in the next few years (much to my sorrow).

silashand
09-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Sisters were my first 40K army back at the start of 3rd edition in 1997 and they are still my favorite, both in play style and background. I think they would be more popular if they were easier to collect and convert, a problem easily fixed by plastic miniatures. The rules are workable, though a bit dated. They would just need a slight bit of tweaking to bring them in line with the rest of the 40K armies for 5th edition. JMO though...