PDA

View Full Version : Why no ebooks?

Hotsauceman
11-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Why is the black library not in ebook form. I loved reading savage scars but carrying around those books can be annoying.
Surely GW realizes the potential this as. They have the ability to sell books with no costs to them. No printing costs or anything. Just sell the book on e-readers

JxKxR
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
You can't rely on GW to make sound business decisions.

Hotsauceman
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
You can't rely on GW to make sound business decisions.
SIgh so true. I havent been following them lately but when i did they did kinda have a "Buy our stuff or we will mess with what you love" business model.

wittdooley
11-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Why is the black library not in ebook form. I loved reading savage scars but carrying around those books can be annoying.
Surely GW realizes the potential this as. They have the ability to sell books with no costs to them. No printing costs or anything. Just sell the book on e-readers

This thread is a joke, right?

Or.. have you simply not looked at the Black Library website, realized that nearly everything that has been released in the past year is in eBook format, and that Black Library even has an app that allows you to download them straight to your reader.

Hotsauceman
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Or.. have you simply not looked at the Black Library website, realized that nearly everything that has been released in the past year is in eBook format, and that Black Library even has an app that allows you to download them straight to your reader.

I just recently got back into The hobby. I didnt know . But thank you for telling me. But before i searching for it.
Does the app work for nook?

scadugenga
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
All the books are available in the Kindle's proprietary format, and the ePub format which is compatible with the Nook.

I have to say, I was anti-ereader for a long time. Then my wife got me the Nook when it first came out a couple years ago. It's remarkably useful for having reading material and not having it take up valuable bookshelf space.

I'll never stop buying hard/paper books, but the Nook is great for books that you may not necessarily need to keep around more than once.

The only caveat for the ebooks on the BL site--they're every bit as expensive as a physical book--which still pisses me off. :) The overhead for an ebook is essentially nil. They could at least discount the price by 20-25%.

wittdooley
11-07-2011, 09:37 PM
The only caveat for the ebooks on the BL site--they're every bit as expensive as a physical book--which still pisses me off. :) The overhead for an ebook is essentially nil. They could at least discount the price by 20-25%.

Hear hear. They also haven't yet put any of the Black Library online exclusives in ePub, which is frustrating as shipping from the UK isn't cheap.

Deadlift
11-08-2011, 02:25 AM
If your an iphone user the iphone book app lets you download BL books directly to your phone via the itunes store too. Some even appear before the release date
Great for me when bored to tears at work :D

wittdooley
11-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Of course, if you're patient and less scrupulous, you can certainly find some of these tomes for a song ;)

Tamwulf
11-14-2011, 10:55 AM
There are no eBooks for the same reason why there is no eCodex books.

GW can't control the process. They can't control how it's distributed, they can't control the price, and they can't control the piracy that may result.

Can you imagine paying $35 for a digital Codex? People are already screaming about mini prices. The prediction I would make for a particular play group: One would buy the codex, and the rest would get it for free, and there is nothing GW could do about it.

Gotthammer
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Except there are ebooks (http://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/ebooks)... did you even read the thread?

wittdooley
11-14-2011, 11:18 AM
There are no eBooks for the same reason why there is no eCodex books.

GW can't control the process. They can't control how it's distributed, they can't control the price, and they can't control the piracy that may result.

Can you imagine paying $35 for a digital Codex? People are already screaming about mini prices. The prediction I would make for a particular play group: One would buy the codex, and the rest would get it for free, and there is nothing GW could do about it.

Dear Tamwulf;

Please read the thread; the Black Library already has numerous eBooks.

Plenty of other companies use the PDF format as a primary format for their rules, Pathfinder being one of them. It's done. And yes, those books are roundly pirated. But they're still produced. Enough people still appreciate having a hands on, tactile hard copy to sustain it, apparently.

MaxKool
12-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Dear Tamwulf;

Please read the thread; the Black Library already has numerous eBooks.

Plenty of other companies use the PDF format as a primary format for their rules, Pathfinder being one of them. It's done. And yes, those books are roundly pirated. But they're still produced. Enough people still appreciate having a hands on, tactile hard copy to sustain it, apparently.

THis, Pretty much every GW thing ever is available online somwhere...

Its pirated regardless of what format its in....

MarneusCalgar
12-12-2011, 03:49 AM
What itīs a shame is that they donīt make the audiobooks with language options...

Yes, I can speak and have a normal speech in english here in Spain but most of the accents and some words are spoken so fast that you loose them...

Itīs like if you come to Spain... is not the same spanish accent when you come to Madrid or when you go to Galicia or Andalucía