PDA

View Full Version : Newbie at Guard: 2500 Imperial Guard Balanced Armylist.

TheDeathJester
11-06-2011, 02:25 PM
"infantry win fire fights,
tanks win battles,
artillery wins wars. "

I was new to imperial guard so I didn't where to begin, I read this statement, then I kinda followed this statement quite closely, I stuck Infantry fighting to infantry, Tanks to fighting Tanks, And Artillery will destory both, Or enemy artillery.

Here we go..

Your lookin at 110 Bodies, 50 are renewable, ( To ensure the conscripts are decent I've ensure Kell, Straken and Chenkov Makes them Stubborn Leadership 10 b------ds with furious charge)

4 tanks, 2 Walkers, 3 Artillery, 1 transport. All of 'em mostly deal with tanks. The Transport wheels the delicate HQ around.

2500 Points

--HQ--
Company Command Squad, 50
-Colonel "IronHand" Straken, 95
-Medi-Pack, 30
-Colour Sargent kell, 85
-vox-caster, 5
-Heavy-Flamer, 20
-Carapace Armour, 20
-Astropath, 30
-Officer of the fleet, 30
-2x Bodyguards, 30
-Dedicated Chimera, 55
-Heavy stubber, 10
-Hunter-killer Missile, 10

Lord Commissar, 70
-Power Fist

--Troops--
Platoon Command Squad, 30
-Commander Al'rahem, 70
-3x Melta-Gun, 30
-Vox-Caster, 5

Combined Squad
Infantry Squad, 50
-Flamer, 5
-Power Weapon, 10
-Krak Granades, 10
Infantry Squad, 50
-Flamer, 5
-Powerweapon, 10
-Krak Granades, 10
-Vox-caster, 5

-Commander Chenkov, 50
-Vox Caster,5
-3x Sniper Rifles, 15

Combined Squad
Infantry Squad, 50
-Plasma-gun, 15
-Plasma-Pistol, 10
Infantry Squad, 50
-Plasma-gun, 15
-Plasma-Pistol, 10
-Vox-caster, 5

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Lascannon 45

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Lascannon 45

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Rocket Launcher, 30

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Rocket Launcher, 30

Conscripts, 80
-30x Conscripts, 120
-"Send In The Next Wave" 75

--Fast Attack--
2x Armoured Sentinels, 55
-2x lascannons, 30
-2x Hunter-killer missle, 20
-2x Smoke Launchers, 10

-Hellhound Squadron
-2x Devil Dogs, 240
-2x Hull-Mounted Multi-Melta 30

-Hellhound Squadron
-2x Devil Dogs, 240

--Heavy Support--
Basilisk, 125
-Enclosed Crew Compartment, 15

Basilisk, 125

Basilisk, 125

Nungunz
11-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Hoo-boy this list needs some work.

I was new to imperial guard so I didn't where to begin, I read this statement, then I kinda followed this statement quite closely, I stuck Infantry fighting to infantry, Tanks to fighting Tanks, And Artillery will destory both, Or enemy artillery.

You have this a bit backwards:

1) Infantry kill tanks
2) Tanks kill infantry (and take shot at vehicles if no other decent option)
3) Artillery kill infantry (and take shot at vehicles if no other decent option)

--HQ--
Company Command Squad, 50
-Colonel "IronHand" Straken, 95
-Medi-Pack, 30
-Colour Sargent kell, 85
-vox-caster, 5
-Heavy-Flamer, 20
-Carapace Armour, 20
-Astropath, 30
-Officer of the fleet, 30
-2x Bodyguards, 30
-Dedicated Chimera, 55
-Heavy stubber, 10
-Hunter-killer Missile, 10

Do you seriously have a 470 point CCS......in an Imperial Guard list? As in for a lower price you can get three....THREE...Leman Russes? Or most of a kitted out platoon?

I think you really need to reconsider what you're using this squad for as it a HUGE point-sink that makes crappy troops (conscripts) slightly less crappy.

Both the heavy flamer and medi-pack are over priced and really don't help you out. Take x3 normal flamers (or x3 meltaguns) for less than the cost of the heavy flamer and do more damage. The vox really isn't needed in this list so I'd drop all of them as well.

It's nice that Kell allows other squads to use the CCS LD....but at 85 points forget that. Bodyguards are just filler there as well.

Do you really need both advisors? Or any of them at all? Hampering the enemie's reserves would be the only thing I'd really go for in this list.

Heavy Stubber and HK on the chimera are unneeded.

IE trim at least 200 points off of this squad....preferably more. A CCS (even with a chimera) should never be more than 250 points.

Lord Commissar, 70
-Power Fist

I'd keep him back with the heavy weapons to give them the nice LD bubble (stops them from running away with their low leadership).

Remember if you kick in the "Send in the Next Wave" rule that the Lord Commissar is also removed and he does not come back.

--Troops--
-Commander Al'rahem, 70
-3x Melta-Gun, 30
-Vox-Caster, 5

Combined Squad
Infantry Squad, 50
-Flamer, 5
-Power Weapon, 10
-Krak Granades, 10
Infantry Squad, 50
-Flamer, 5
-Powerweapon, 10
-Krak Granades, 10
-Vox-caster, 5

I'd scrap the voxes and throw a Commissar in the combined squad.

-Commander Chenkov, 50
-Vox Caster,5
-3x Sniper Rifles, 15

Combined Squad
Infantry Squad, 50
-Plasma-gun, 15
-Plasma-Pistol, 10
Infantry Squad, 50
-Plasma-gun, 15
-Plasma-Pistol, 10
-Vox-caster, 5

Snipers probably aren't the best choice....and it's long way to walk across the field for the combined squad. Plasma just doesn't make a ton of sense on BS3 models....but whatever in this regard. Add a commissar to keep them from running as easily.

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Lascannon 45

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Lascannon 45

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Rocket Launcher, 30

Heavy Weapons Team, 60
-3x Rocket Launcher, 30

Not too bad, but remember that these are very, very easy to kill. S6 will instant-death a team so an assault cannon, scatter-laser, Psybolt Heavy Bolter, Autocannons, Scatter-Laser and a to of other S6+ weapons with lots of shots will chew them up cover or not......and it only takes one dead team to force a morale test.

Keep these cheap and/or take a lot of them. A Lord Commissar hanging around to babysit them with his leadership bubble helps a lot.

Conscripts, 80
-30x Conscripts, 120
-"Send In The Next Wave" 75

Just...just why? A 30-man combined squad is much, much better and can do a lot more damage.

--Fast Attack--
2x Armoured Sentinels, 55
-2x lascannons, 30
-2x Hunter-killer missle, 20
-2x Smoke Launchers, 10

Expensive as heck and lousy shots. I'd stick with autocannons or multilasers. As they're squadroned crew shaken/stunned is ignored so why bother with smoke? HKs are pricey as well. Keep them cheap.

-Hellhound Squadron
-2x Devil Dogs, 240

-Hellhound Squadron
-2x Devil Dogs, 240

Actually these aren't that bad, though personally I'd go with normal hellhounds+hell multi-melta. You're call, though.

--Heavy Support--
Basilisk, 125

Basilisk, 125

Basilisk, 125

Meh....I just don't think much of Bassilisks. The minimum range hurts them a lot. Yes you can fire directly, but that means a very high-profile AV12 target is in the enemy's LOS. Enclosed Compartments help a bit.....but then for 10 points more you can get a very similar gun on an AV14 chassis.

Overall you have a lot of points sunk into stuff that doesn't really do much. Trim off the fat (especially in the CCS) and you will have a much stronger list.

P.S. Sorry if I sound like an jerk. I prefer brutally honest to beating around the bush.

Cyclonus
11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Nungunz, thank god you already posted that. I was having heart palpitations reading that list.

Not to say that you're a terrible person for making it JESTER, I've been there and done that. Now I know better.

In general my philosophy with the Guard is to take units with the absolute bare minimum in upgrades and extras. Take all of those points you save and buy another tank(or 3). Buy only those upgrades that are mandatory, like special weapons.

Also, personally I'm a fan of vendettas for my long range anti-tank. Lascannon HWT costs 105. So for and extra 25 points you TL Lascannons that can move and shoot, is far more durable and can transport dudes.

Dorsai
11-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Lately, I have had luck running a CCS in the following manner:

Col. Straken
Nork Deddog
3 melta
medic
chimera

Straken is a beast in close combat, something marine players don't expect. I have a had Straken and Nork eat a full squad of marines for an apitizer, then move on to two land speeders and then a vindicator all in the same game. All assaulting (the meltas where all dead by then) Also, having a toughness 5 model to take strength 8 hits in the squad is very nice.

For fast attack, i always take at least one Vendetta. the option to outflank a squad of melta vets in a fast skimmer with three twin linked lascannon is great. May not always come in when you want, but it is always a threat, whether outflanking or deployed.

The rocket launchers, I recommend replacing with autocannons. They can pop light armor, and easily cause wounds to most models. And when shooting at infantry, no scatter, just hit or miss.

I haven't dealt much with Basilisks, but I would prefer to squadron them, then take a couple of Leman-russ's. Especially the Executioner with plasma sponsons. Sitting still that is five ap2 blasts at a unit. Saturday, mine totally ate three terminators due to the number of saves he had to take.

The thing to remember is that even other guard players hate LR's. They are very tough to kill with their AV, and with the number of weapons they can take, it can take quite a few shots to render it a null threat. While the Executioner may not have the ability to pop armor, it destroys infantry. Leave popping the heavy armor to things like melta vets with demolitions, Vendettas, or HWS with lascannons.

Best guard tactic I have had luck with is simple volume of fire. Force a person to take so many saves, that statistically, they are bound to fail some.

Flammenwerfer13
01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I found Straken, Kell, 2x Melta's, a Medic with a Priest with a Evisercator tend to rock face.
1x Powerfist or 1x Int5 Powersword (kell on the charge) with a Banner, Straken and a Chainfist all with re-roll to hit :D!

Nungunz
01-21-2012, 03:54 PM
I found Straken, Kell, 2x Melta's, a Medic with a Priest with a Evisercator tend to rock face.
1x Powerfist or 1x Int5 Powersword (kell on the charge) with a Banner, Straken and a Chainfist all with re-roll to hit :D!

All for the budget price of 340 points.....for 7 T3 majority guys with one 3+ to put one wound on....which are also mediocre at CC.

Why are you doing this again?