PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Eldargal

eldargal
11-06-2011, 08:23 AM
I am, as of yesterday, now Eldargal, DPhil, Doctor of Archaeology.

Think I'll aim for Art History next, because I don't think the last two and a half years have been stressful enough.:rolleyes:

Aldramelech
11-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Think I'll aim for Art History next, because I don't think the last two and a half years have been stressful enough.:rolleyes:

Isn't art history what posh people send their thick kids to do at University?;)

eldargal
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Sometimes, which is why I didn't do it first.:p Well that and the fact archaeology is my main interest.

Denzark
11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Bloody hell!

Well done, puts my chip on both shoulders awarded by the university of Life into perspective!

energongoodie
11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Congratulations ;)

lattd
11-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Well done, i was having a discussion with someone about them doing a doctorate, unfortunately for me this course wouldn't really be beneficial for the line of work im looking at.

Emerald Rose Widow
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
OMG congrats hon

Gotthammer
11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Congrats, Dr EG :D

DarkLink
11-06-2011, 03:26 PM
And I thought this was going to be a Dr. Who thread at first;).

gwensdad
11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I wanted to do that but couldn't afford it :(

(besides, for me it would be a Doctorate in Anthropology specializing in Archaeology, so not as fun. And they don't give you a whip and have you fight ****s or go time traveling with The Doctor or even join Stargate Command. Cheap *******s.)

scadugenga
11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Congrats!!

What was your dissertation on, if you don't mind my asking?

I bet it feels good to have that behind you now.

Good luck with the continued accumulation of advanced degrees! :)

Bitrider
11-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Congrats Dr. Gal! There has to be some bad pun here about an archaeologist playing Necrons or Tomb Kimgs. :eek :rolleyes:

Greg

DrLove42
11-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Congrats! I'm coming to the end of my first year of PhD life...only in Engineering, not Archaelogy.

Not an easy life...

SO Congrats again!

Lord Azaghul
11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
And here I thought this was going to be a post about how you are a super fan girl of Matt Smith, and wrangled you're way into replacing amy has the new pseudo-heroine!

Well good for you!

But I have a feeling it was all just an elaborate effort creating a justification for carrying a whip with you at all times! :p

Faultie
11-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Think I'll aim for Art History next, because I don't think the last two and a half years have been stressful enough.:rolleyes:Awesome! As someone who knows what you've been through, let me say congrats! Now get out of school. :P

eldargal
11-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone.:) I do actually have some ladies fedoras. And a whip, come to think of it.:rolleyes:

It was on Roman industrial capacity in Great Britain, a subject I don't want to think about again for at least three years.:rolleyes:

Congrats!!

What was your dissertation on, if you don't mind my asking?

I bet it feels good to have that behind you now.

Good luck with the continued accumulation of advanced degrees! :)

Grailkeeper
11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Congrats! My sister got her BA today. Must be going around

Hive Mind
11-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Congrats.

As an aside, I have a friend with a DPhil. His name is Phillip Dee. I'm sure you can spot the inevitable 'hilarity'.

Psychosplodge
11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks everyone.:) I do actually have some ladies fedoras. And a whip, come to think of it.:rolleyes:

It was on Roman industrial capacity in Great Britain, a subject I don't want to think about again for at least three years.:rolleyes:
What was the industrial capacity of roman britain?

Lord Azaghul
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM

gwensdad
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM

I thought that was the airspeed velocity of an unladen (European) swallow.

Now I'm just curious: was the industrial capacity sent back to Rome or used for the local garrisons and native tribes?

Psychosplodge
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I thought that was the airspeed velocity of an unladen (European) swallow.

Now I'm just curious: was the industrial capacity sent back to Rome or used for the local garrisons and native tribes?
No the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is apparently around 28 mph

scadugenga
11-07-2011, 11:13 PM

That actually sounds very interesting to read, if not research.

I can imagine why you want to put that behind you for a good long time.

eldargal
11-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Lots.;)

Gwensdad, short answer is it was probably mostly for domestic use, though of course things were exported. Lead and silver in particular were mostly exported. I focused mostly on output rather than where it went, though.

Psychosplodge
11-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Lots.;)

Maybe you could elaborate in some kind of thirty thousand word document?

eldargal
11-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Pfft, like anyone would do something like that these days.:rolleyes:

Maybe you could elaborate in some kind of thirty thousand word document?

DrLove42
11-08-2011, 04:31 AM
My 9 month report for my PhD was 21,000.,...and thats just the 9 month lit review!

I've just finished writting a paper for publication with 9,000 words!

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Very impressive, well done! Now you can doom us all by uncovering a necron tomb complex.

Drew da Destroya
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Congratulations, DoctorGal! What do you plan to do with yourself now? Thinking of teaching, or adventuring?

Personally, I'd go with adventuring.

eldargal
11-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Not teaching, you wouldn't believe some of the stories I have about standing up and talking in front of a room full of male students.:rolleyes:

A little adventuring would be nice, so long as there are some five star hotels nearby in which to recuperate. What I'd really like to do is museum curatorship or some such thing. I've done a bit of volunteer work but when I go for an interview for a proper position the staff take one look at me and either decide I'm an airhead or a husband-thief.

Psychosplodge
11-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Not teaching, you wouldn't believe some of the stories I have about standing up and talking in front of a room full of male students.:rolleyes:

You can't leave it there, or does that need a new thread?

eldargal
11-09-2011, 05:29 AM
I'm not trying to be coy or a tease but you really wouldn't believe me. I'll just say at best the boys didn't pay attention to what I was saying and most of the girls were too busy glaring at me to pay attention. That was just in thirty-strong tutorial groups and such, no way I'm standing up in front of hundreds of the little barstuds to give a lecture.

Psychosplodge
11-09-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm not trying to be coy or a tease but you really wouldn't believe me. I'll just say at best the boys didn't pay attention to what I was saying and most of the girls were too busy glaring at me to pay attention. That was just in thirty-strong tutorial groups and such, no way I'm standing up in front of hundreds of the little barstuds to give a lecture.
I would we only had one lass in on our engineering course, I was just hoping for more comedy than that lol

eldargal
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Well if you count boys having phallus related 'accidents' in their underwear during my class presentations sometimes as comedy then there was some of that, too. Urgh, I feel sick just remembering that. Nope, teaching/lecturing not for me.

Hive Mind
11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Thirty people in a tutorial group? Holy overcrowding Batman. My tutorial groups have max. 9 people and I think they're overcrowded.

DrLove42
11-09-2011, 09:41 AM
My tutorials have 4-5 people in a room.

And i still managed to fall asleep....was a bit obvious

Grailkeeper
11-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm desperately trying to get into lecturing and tutoring myself. The joys of being overqualified and underpaid. I'm very good at public speaking.

gwensdad
11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Well if you count boys having phallus related 'accidents' in their underwear during my class presentations sometimes as comedy then there was some of that, too. Urgh, I feel sick just remembering that. Nope, teaching/lecturing not for me.

I can't believe students would be that..."unprofessional". What age would these be? (I'm assuming you're talking about University setting 18+ years old students). I remember having "hot" (well, attractive) profs but no one EVER treated them with the level of disrespect you experienced.

Psychosplodge
11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
phallus related 'accidents' .

lols

eldargal
11-09-2011, 11:27 PM
The tutorials were often smaller but we would group them together sometimes to give more of an audience for class presentations. It depended on the tutor and lecturer.

Well they improved a bit over time. Well the problem is I tend to stand out more, being 6ft tall and dressing in an elegant vintage style. It doesn't fully explain why I seem to attract quite so much idiotic behaviour though.:(

I can't believe students would be that..."unprofessional". What age would these be? (I'm assuming you're talking about University setting 18+ years old students). I remember having "hot" (well, attractive) profs but no one EVER treated them with the level of disrespect you experienced.

Psychosplodge
11-10-2011, 02:24 AM
It's simply your height, you stand out literally above your female peers, and the ****heads in comp don't suddenly grow up because it's university...

Myu
11-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Nicely done Eldargal, I'm only doing my honours at the moment and I don't even know if I'll succeed at that :S

Aenir
11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Eldargal, you should come to the US, higher learning institutions here can never get enough english sounding (by which I mean you guys over there in the old world, and your ye olde englishe! :D) Archaeology Professors! Might be problematic though, as you arent a couple thousand years old... (seemingly a requirement to teach here at times)

gcsmith
11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Gonna start calling you Bone singer, as a really weak connection to river song the time traveling part timelord archaelogist GF of the doctor.

Hope to follow in your foosteps tho as Doctor Of Engineering.which speciallity im not sure yet.

And before people say, Engineers are also scientists.

But congrats eldargirl, now when you are in a discussion you can 'whip out' an 'indy' reference, and your PHD

Chronowraith
11-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Welcome to the fold :-)

Drunkencorgimaster
11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Ditto to what Chrono said. Good work:)

Bigred
11-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Congratulations Ma'am!

Two things:

1: You have a new title - enjoy!
2: Have your toes turned to wraithcrystal yet? They say that's what you notice first...

eldargal
11-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Thanks Mr Bigred.:) Judging by the pain I experienced when I stubbed my toe recently I think they are still as squishy as ever.

Jambo
11-17-2011, 11:11 AM
congrats eldargirl or should i call you indie lol :D