PDA

View Full Version : Necron Best HQ First Thought

Brymm
11-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Obyron!

Holy crap! Veil of Darkness that can be used in combat. Jeesh.
Is it worth the points over a Cryptek with the Veil?
Hook these guys up to a blob of Lychguards with shields... or where Obyron really shines, taking a Lord with an Orb and himself with the Lychguards (since you can't take a Crptek and Lord from the same court and both lead the unit).
Any thoughts? Am I missing something that this guy seems to be totally awesome?

DrWobbles
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
agreed, he kicks butt. especially paired with his bud the nemessor. put him with a shooty unit and he can zoom across the battlefield and blast anybody threatening his boss.

so many tactical options with these two.

Jambo
11-07-2011, 09:24 AM
agreed, he kicks butt. especially paired with his bud the nemessor. put him with a shooty unit and he can zoom across the battlefield and blast anybody threatening his boss.

so many tactical options with these two.

ill second that some of the HQ choices that haven't had models released for yet are awesome :D

Brymm
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Agreed. I think that isn't so bad though, as you can just use the regular overlord model or the one out the command barge set. Or just whatever lordish looking model you have.

thecactusman17
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Obyron is going to be a great utility model. Others, I suspect, are going to include:

Trazyn. Bring along a blob of Lychguard and watch as you give up no kill points from HQ for the course of the game.

Anrakyr. Take over an enemy vehicle? In a game dominated by vehicles? Yes, please!

Orikan. First turn your enemies count as moving through difficult terrain. Mix this up with a C'Tan with Writhing Worldscape and watch the tears flow. Also, the Empowered ability is one of the most entertaining abilities and rules I've seen yet. And of course, he gets to reroll all unsuccessful reserve rolls. That's a hell of a bomb to put on somebody, with a better than 2/3 chance of getting any reserves in on turn 2.

Brymm
11-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Wow I didnt notice that combo with the Worldscape. That seems incredibly powerful. I saw the Worldscape power and thought it was the best Ctan power and thought of using it with the Cryptek power where he does the seismic thingie. The IC with the power is obviously much better. Seems like the way to go. I'm going to work on a list right now using that combo. Doesn't that seem game breaking?

DrLove42
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow I didnt notice that combo with the Worldscape. That seems incredibly powerful. I saw the Worldscape power and thought it was the best Ctan power and thought of using it with the Cryptek power where he does the seismic thingie. The IC with the power is obviously much better. Seems like the way to go. I'm going to work on a list right now using that combo. Doesn't that seem game breaking?

General consesnsu seems to be htose rules don't stack

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=18336

Discussed here!

Demonus
11-08-2011, 01:08 PM
to be fair, the "general consensus" is only what, 3 posters?

I would argue that due to exact wording, the Tremor Staff definitely gels with Writhing Worldscape. It specifically says "treat as difficult terrain" and Worldscape reads "all difficult terrain is also dangerous"

Now the Orikan power of "temporal snares" says that enemy units count as moving through difficult terrain however it then specifies "if they are actually moving through difficult terrain....etc" which leads me to believe that the two are different.

Looking forward to the FAQ as if legal, it is a pretty nice combo, if only for 1 round.

dr.insanotron
11-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I like the traveler in a command barge. Seems like it could be really good

White925
11-10-2011, 01:21 PM
i like the stormlord hands down but the zahndrekh and obyron are an awesome pair of characters as well buffing some of yours and bringing a really cool teleport ability into play.

Denied
11-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Obyron!

Holy crap! Veil of Darkness that can be used in combat. Jeesh.
Is it worth the points over a Cryptek with the Veil?
Hook these guys up to a blob of Lychguards with shields... or where Obyron really shines, taking a Lord with an Orb and himself with the Lychguards (since you can't take a Crptek and Lord from the same court and both lead the unit).
Any thoughts? Am I missing something that this guy seems to be totally awesome?

except that Necrons are I2 (exceptions are C'tan shards and Empowered Orikan who are I4). This means any unit you engage in combat is going to be swinging before you and if you face one of any of the heavy CC armies your going to crumple like a sock.

Necrons shine (much like Grey Knights) in this 24" shooting range. Only with them you basically pop a bunch of warriors in those yummy AV13 open topped transports and run around shooting your enemy to the ground. And if your opponent is like 'oh look at me I can hide in armor too!' You say 'Hi, have you met my friends the Canoptek Scarabs?' and they nom nom nom his transports away so your warriors can again unleash the green slim energy all over their faces. (it's a spooky ghost!)

In this situation then your best friends for HQ's tend to be Stormlord or a couple of Overlords with a royal court each of one Cryptek upgraded to Harbingers of Destruction with Solar Pulse's. At 290pts for two they aren't bad options.

Saturn 3
11-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Orikahn and writhing worldscape do stack. Marine players don't like it. It costs points and it's not guaranteed to go off but boy warn'em ahead of time theres' gonna be tantrums when it does. I actually had a person who runs pure cheese tell me its bad because you don't have to do anything tactical. I'm gonna leave out what he runs but I assure you it's pure b.s. but I agree somewhat however, its' taking alot of points so in that it's a trade off.

mallet_man
11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
http://malletman40kfantasyhobby.blogspot.com/2011/11/necron-codex-review-part-ii-troops-and.html the second part down contains my first impressions on the HQ choices for necrons!