PDA

View Full Version : Necron Consolidated FAQ

Alessander
11-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Do Royal Court models attached to a Deathmark squad benefit from the Hunters from Hyperspace rule to wound marked units on 2+?
Can Deathmark squads with an attached member of the Royal Court still choose to deepstrike?
Does a Necron Lord on a Catacomb Command Barge benefit from Furious Charge on a sweep attack?
Can Trazyn the Infinite use the Empathetic Obliterator after causing wounds from a Command Barge sweeping attack?
If trazyn causes a wound in combat and then dies, does the Empathetic Obliterator still activate at the end of combat?
Does Zahndrekh's "Adaptive Tactics" on a Command Barge effect the sweep attack as well? Ie Tank Hunter or Furious Charge on the Barge also benefit the Lord's Sweep Attack?
C'tan shard writhing worldscape causes all difficult terrain to become dangerous in the game. Orikan the diviner causes all enemy units moving in the first turn to count as moving through difficult terrain. Does "count as" cause writhing worldscape to trigger causing all moving enemy units in the first turn to take dangerous terrain checks? Or does count as really only make a "fake" difficult terrain which isn't really terrain, thus can't become dangerous. Does this also apply for Termorstaves which cause units to treat open ground as difficult terrain in their next movement phase.
Ctan Shard Time's Arrow power: does it have an effect on vehicles? Unlike other stat-based tests mentioned in the book (monolith portal of exile) Time's Arrow does not state that Vehicles automatically pass the test. RAW states that since it cannot pass the test, it automatically dies.
How do Wraith's Whip Coils interact with initiative-boosting abilities like Grey Knight Halberds?
Are the Scarabs created by Spyder Squad placed simultaneously? Or can a single squad of multiple Spyders each generate a Scarab sequentially, placing the scarab in unit coherency with the previously placed scarab (and potentially greatly increasing the charge range of the unit)?
Can Scarabs generated by Spyders be added to Scarab units that are engaged in assault or are falling back?
The invulnerable save by the Ctan Shards' Necrodermis is wargear and can thus be nullified by a Vindicaire Assassin's Shield Breaker, correct?
Does the vehicle armor-reducing ability of an attack with entropic Strike apply immedietly after the hit and before rolling for actual armor penetration (and thus could be modified by the strike effect)?
If an entropic strike armor-reducing ability happens at the same initiative step as other models, do the other models roll against the previous or the reduced armor value?
How does Quantum Shielding work against Lance weapons?
Does the Chronometron ability allow the StormLord to reroll the roll for Night Fight to end? Ie does the Night Fight determing roll count as a "phase"?
Chronometron allows models to re-roll one of their "d6" rolls per phase. Does this include rolls of 2D6 (re-rolling just one of the D6's) or rolls of D3(which according to the 40K rulebook still utilizes a D6), or scatter dice (which are technically a D6) or specifically only rolls of a single D6 counting capable of values of 1-6.
if you use mind shackle scarabs on a lone character or monster can you make it attack itself.
Can an enemy vehicle effected by Anrakyr the Traveller's Mind in the Machine ability fire upon itself?
Abyssal Staff causes wounds based on the targets leadership rather than toughness but is strength 8. Will it cause instant death to a toughness 4 model whose leadership is not also 4?
Do the shot-reflection ability of Lychgard Dispersion Shields work against blast and template weapons? The templates are not relocated but is the Str and AP still relocated?
What counts as a Cryptek harbringer "unique wargear"? Does it include the free upgrade that comes with upgrading to a special discipline (in which case only one Cryptek in a Royal Court could have a Tremorstaff, for instance) or is only the additional two pieces of optional wargear available to a Disipline?
What counts as a Cryptek harbringer "unique wargear"? Does it include the free staff upgrade that comes with upgrading to a special discipline (in which case only one Cryptek in a Royal Court could have a Tremorstaff, for instance) or is only the additional two pieces of optional wargear available to a Cryptek with a disipline upgrade?

Nightwolf
11-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Number 21 was covered in the Necron codex last I checked in the description of the shield mechanics.

Alessander
11-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Number 21 was covered in the Necron codex last I checked in the description of the shield mechanics.

edited the question to ask if the Str and AP is still relocated (the template remains, of course)

thecactusman17
11-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Question 17 is answered in the main rulebook. A D6 refers to any normal die roll that is not modified to be a D3, scatter die, etc. A D6 is a roll with a set range from 1 to 6 at all times.

Now, if it said "reroll a die" or "increase the die roll by x" we would have something. Baron Sathonyx's Bones of the Seer, for example, do not restrict the die roll to a D6, it just says to add one to the roll for first turn.

DrWobbles
11-06-2011, 02:09 AM
1. Both questions one or two would be a 'no' although i wish it were otherwise. The royal court members don't have these special rules in their entry and would not gain them if they joined a deathmark unit.
2. see above.
3. No furious charge because it is not an assault move.
4. No. Sweep attacks are not CC attacks. The obliterator is used after CC attacks have been made.
5. No. if he dies the model is removed along with the wargear he's carrying.
6. Yes for tank hunters as RAW states 'any hits' add +1 to pen roll. No on furious charge (see 3).
7. Writhing Worldscape would apply in both situations. If enemies are testing for difficult terrain they must also test for dangerous terrain.
8. If a model does not have the characteristic to test, then the model can't fail the test. Vehicles are not affected.
9. Model begins at I4, given wargear its boosted to I6, finds itself in base contact with a whip coil: I1.
10. Roll for each Spyder separately even if there's multiple in one unit. You must do this due to the possibility of damaging the model. So, yes you can add sequentially.
11. Yes. The only restriction to the Scarab Hive rule is the scarab unit must be within 6" of Spyder.
12. Yes, it is wargear and will be affected by shield breaker rounds.
13. Yes. Roll to hit vehicle, then roll for Entropic Strike, then roll for penetration with altered armor value.
14. They roll on the reduced armor value. Entropic strike would take place before pen rolls are made as noted above.
15. The vehicles armor is reduced to armor 12 unless, of course, it had been penetrated earlier(then A: 11).
16. Yes. There are three phases; Movement, Shooting, and Assault. 'The beginning of the turn' is essentially the Movement phase.
17. This Rule would not include a scatter die as it does not have the values 1-6. However, this would include a D3 as it is a D6 divided in half as well as a single die from 2D6 or 3D6.
18. Yes. The model would be forced to attack its own unit, a unit comprised of one model. Face Punch!
19. No. The Mind in the Machine rule states 'you can immediately shoot with it as if it were your own unit' and you can't target your own unit. although, scattering blast markers would still affect it.
20. No. although if the leadership were 4 it would cause instant death as per the FAQ of the demonhunters codex.
21. Yes! any hits caused by blast/template weapons and then subsequently saved can be re-directed using same strength and AP. a hit is a hit.
22. 'Unique' wargear is anything that is not included with the harbinger. its explained in the codex entry.
23. same question. you can have five of one discipline in a single court. you can't have multiple Solar Pulses in a single court for example.

EDIT: I thought i would post this here as it seems a lot of people are having trouble with the language of the death ray rule.

DEATH RAY: the rule is stated as this, "Every unit (friendly or enemy) underneath the line suffers a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit underneath the line."

I would like to note that this seemingly ambiguous sentence was used as a mechanism to prevent the Doom Scythe from sniping characters or special weapons in the target unit. That being said lets see an example of the death ray shooting;

There are three units, unit A, unit B, and unit C. Each unit has ten models each for a total of thirty models in the three units. The death ray fires, drawing a line through the three units finding one model under the line in unit A, two models under the line in unit B, and three models under the line in unit C.
Unit A suffers one hit from death ray, roll to wound, allocate wound, and take save if any.
Unit B suffers two hits from death ray, roll to wound, allocate wounds, and take saves if any.
Unit C suffers three hits from death ray, roll to wound, allocate wounds, and take saves if any.

Six hits in total, no more no less. I hope this clear things up.

thecactusman17
11-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I think that applying 17 to affect D3s is a pretty crappy interpretation and i would argue against it in a normal game. I will acknowledge that rolling a D3 is worded as "roll a D6 and halve the score, rounding up." I suppose that means you could reroll the D6.

XD6 rolls can be rerolled according to the rule, as you can reroll any single D6 in each phase. So for example, rolling 3D6 morale where you roll a 1, 5, 6, you could reroll the 6 alone but not change the others. For a similar ability with very similar wording, check out the FAQs and 3rd edition wording for Brother Captain Stern's reroll-per-phase ability. GW went to some lengths to describe when and how that ability should work, and it did the exact same thing (then allowed your opponent to respond in kind!).

"The start of the game turn" occurs before any turn phase for either player. A regular example of something that happens at the start of a turn is Scout moves occurring at the start of game turn 1. Being that the Chronometreon must be used in a phase, it could not be used for this roll as the roll does not occur during a turn phase.

DrWobbles
11-07-2011, 05:13 AM
You're wrong about Scouts. This move occurs before turn 1, not at the beginning of turn 1. Deployment, infiltrators, and scouts all take place before the turn sequence begins.

Lets put this to rest; there is no Beginning Phase. When it becomes your turn you are already in the first of three phases of your turn (the Movement Phase). Pg. 9 of the rule book describes these three phases. There is no description of the beginning of your turn or the end of your turn for that matter. Once your assault phase is complete it immediately becomes your opponents movement phase.

Lord Anubis
11-12-2011, 01:35 AM
4. No. Sweep attacks are not CC attacks. The obliterator is used after CC attacks have been made.

While I see the logic you're using, Doctor, the catch is that this line of reasoning nullifies almost every close combat weapon out there. Check the big rulebook. Power weapons, force weapons, lightnign claws, power fists, poisoned weapons, rending weapons, witchblades-- all of these are specifically mentioned to work in close combat.

So therefore, following your logic, hyperphase swords, gauntlets of fire, voidblades, and warscythes do not work from a Command Barge--not to mention all the specialty staves.

Which then makes me wonder, why do the rules for the Command Barge specifically say my chosen character can use the "special abilities from his close combat weapon" when the above chain of logic says none of these abilities can be used...?

It seems more likely the Sweep Attack does not follow the usual sequence and that these are close combat attacks that are happening in the movement phase (with the "to hit" provisos mentioned in the Sweep Attack rule). This line of reasoning seems closer to the rule as written, at least.

Darksanctuary
11-12-2011, 04:13 AM
7. Writhing Worldscape would apply in both situations. If enemies are testing for difficult terrain they must also test for dangerous terrain.

so this is the correct ruling? since alot of people are saying it dosnt worth since the terrain isn't actually there :S

gcsmith
11-12-2011, 08:20 AM
While I see the logic you're using, Doctor, the catch is that this line of reasoning nullifies almost every close combat weapon out there. Check the big rulebook. Power weapons, force weapons, lightnign claws, power fists, poisoned weapons, rending weapons, witchblades-- all of these are specifically mentioned to work in close combat.

So therefore, following your logic, hyperphase swords, gauntlets of fire, voidblades, and warscythes do not work from a Command Barge--not to mention all the specialty staves.

Which then makes me wonder, why do the rules for the Command Barge specifically say my chosen character can use the "special abilities from his close combat weapon" when the above chain of logic says none of these abilities can be used...?

It seems more likely the Sweep Attack does not follow the usual sequence and that these are close combat attacks that are happening in the movement phase (with the "to hit" provisos mentioned in the Sweep Attack rule). This line of reasoning seems closer to the rule as written, at least.

As per Space wolfs, Arjak benefits from thunderhammer in shooting, would be same here. :) THEY ARE NOT COMBAT ATTACKS.

Lord Anubis
11-12-2011, 01:01 PM
As per Space wolfs, Arjak benefits from thunderhammer in shooting, would be same here. THEY ARE NOT COMBAT ATTACKS.

That's kind of what I was saying... :)

I think, however, the good doctor is right in saying the Empathic Obliterator wouldn't work in Sweep Attacks, he's just right for the wrong reason...

4) - The Sweep Attack allows you to use the special abilities of a close combat weapon. However, the Empathic Obliterator is not classified as a close combat weapon, only as a piece of wargear that works in close combat.

Tynskel
11-12-2011, 01:52 PM
but it is. He is using the empathic obliterator as the weapon. "Should the empathic obliterator slay an enemy..." Trazyn uses this wargear item as his weapon.

DrWobbles
11-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I stand corrected. Originally, i was under the impression it was a piece of wargear that took effect after close combat attacks have been made. After reviewing the rules again it actually is his close combat weapon just as a warscythe is the wargear for a destroyer lord.

'Tarzan' would seem overpowered if this ruling held up; swooping across the battlefield and obliterating hordes in droves.

DrWobbles
11-12-2011, 02:52 PM
so this is the correct ruling? since alot of people are saying it dosnt worth since the terrain isn't actually there :S

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=18336
Here's a link to a thread with that question in mind. form your own opinion.

Tynskel
11-12-2011, 05:16 PM
not really--- you just shoot his barge until it falls out of the sky. Once the armor 13 is gone, it is a pretty easy target. Not to mention, 'Tarzan' would be a mighty big priority target.

Lord Anubis
11-12-2011, 06:14 PM
but it is. He is using the empathic obliterator as the weapon. "Should the empathic obliterator slay an enemy..." Trazyn uses this wargear item as his weapon.

Ack. You're right. I stand corrected on my correction and go back to my original statement. Which was correct.

:)

DrWobbles
11-12-2011, 08:21 PM
an armor 13 vehicle moving flat out with a 4+ cover save, ignoring shaken and stunned results on a 2+ and 4+ respectively, as well as ignoring immobilized results with symbiotic repair, isn't exactly easy to 'shoot out of the sky.'

Tynskel
11-12-2011, 11:31 PM
an armor 13 vehicle moving flat out with a 4+ cover save, ignoring shaken and stunned results on a 2+ and 4+ respectively, as well as ignoring immobilized results with symbiotic repair, isn't exactly easy to 'shoot out of the sky.'

Ah, but it is when it is almost 300 points... If you fired 300 points of missiles at it, that $!†h be going down!

blackarmchair
11-13-2011, 08:55 AM
I think that, in regards to #1 & #2, the royal court WOULD be able to benefit from the Deathmark special rules.

It seems to me that, if the Royal Court were independent characters then the Deathmarks would forfeit deep-strike and not confer the 2+ to wound onto the Cryptek/Lord; however if you look in the entry under unit type it says "Infantry(character)" and does not have the "Independent Character" special rule whereas all the real other HQ choices DO.

This tells me that they're not independent characters and they just count as a part of the unit; much the same way that a wolf guard can "behind enemy lines" with a unit of wolf scouts.