PDA

View Full Version : Monolith Q

theHman
11-05-2011, 01:40 PM
It says the monolith has 4 guass flux arcs and the particle whip as weapons.
However the entry doesn't talk about shooting the flux arcs.
Do you need LOS from each gun to your target? Which makes no sense as 2 of the flux arcs will never be able to see the target since they're in the back.

Can you shoot at multiple targets?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated

Lerra
11-05-2011, 02:57 PM
All 4 guns can shoot at different targets.

Denzark
11-05-2011, 04:23 PM
All 4 guns can shoot at different targets.

Reference Mr Lerra? I can't pick that out in the codex. My solution would have been to drive up and then spin 45 degrees so corner was on - try and get LoS for 3 weapons...

rws
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Codex: Necrons, page 81, (Matthew Ward 2011, Games Workshop Ltd): under Gauss Weapons, the Gauss flux arc has an asterisk next to it's weapon type. This asterisk is resolved at the bottom of the column, with the following words: "A Gauss flux arc can be fired at a different target unit to other weapons on the vehicle (including other [G]auss flux arcs) subject to the normal rules for shooting."

So, yes, you can shoot each GFA at a seperate target, and each GFA must have LoS to its target.

Denzark
11-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Good spot, thanks...

theHman
11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks!
Found it this wknd after another necron player pointed the page out for me.

My next question is - what are the arcs on them? Are they a strict 90 degree arc?
Which basically means that if you stand directly in front of it (or to the side), you can't be shot? This seems a bit ludicrous - but again, this is GW... so it wouldn't surprise me.

I always thought that 2 of the arcs overlapped each other.

Any ideas on this?

Tynskel
11-07-2011, 01:17 PM
each gun looks like it can rotate ~240 degrees

Hive Mind
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I would argue that GFAs on a Monolith have a 90 degree arc horizontally and 45ish degree arc vertically due to the shape of their mounting and per p58 of the Rulebook.

Tynskel
11-07-2011, 01:40 PM
they are on the corner of a box. They can swivel > 90 degrees.

Hive Mind
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't have a Monolith so I can't categorically state that you're wrong that they can swivel more than 90 degrees horizontally, but it sure doesn't look like they can. Being on the corner of a box is irrelevant, the shape of the mounting is relevant and the GFAs are recessed into a mounting that looks like they can only swivel 90 degrees horizontally.

Even from just looking at the pic on GW.com, they definitely cannot swivel more than 180 degrees. At least, not if you've mounted them correctly. Given what I know of you I wouldn't be at all surprised if you've mounted them incorrectly to give you an advantage.

Tynskel
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
It has been a while since I looked at a Monolith. Not 180 degrees (possibly 150). They definitely swivel >90. The wall edge is beyond the 90 degree.

Drakkan Vael
11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Having had a look at my Monolith and trying to swivel the Projectors around, they can move 90° horizontally and about 45° vertically, not more.

And yes, they are correctly mounted.

Hive Mind
11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Having had a look at my Monolith and trying to swivel the Projectors around, they can move 90° horizontally and about 45° vertically, not more.

And yes, they are correctly mounted.

Yeah, that's pretty much what the image on GW.com shows.

Thanks for the info.