PDA

View Full Version : Necron Raiders 2k - Ranged Mobile Firepower

Lemt
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
So I finally got to see the new codex, and this is a quick list I've come up with:

The Dark is Rising: Necron Raiders
HQ
Imotekh in Catacomb Command Barge
Harbinger of Destruction with Solar Pulse.

Troops
5 Necron Warriors in Night Scythe

Fast Attack
5 Tomb Blades with Particle Beamers

Heavy Support
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe

Imotekh provides Night Fighting. This will keep your otherwise fragile army safe from most enemy firepower, and won't matter at all for your Doom Scythes. Plus he gives you a very good chance of getting the first turn. The CCB helps him whoosh around the battlefield, mostly to keep him out of harm'ss way. Later in the game he can ram enemies away from objectives, and foolish generals will waste firepower on him instead of on more important targets. Once the Storm he calls for ends, he really doesn't do much. But during the storm, you'll dish out some free damage in the form of Lightning bolts of doom!
The Harbinger of Destruction joins one of your Warrior units. His solar Pulse can give you a turn of shooting (clearing Imotekh's darkness so your whole army can shoot freely for a turn) or darken the skies if you really need to.
The Necron Warriors are MSUs for several reasons. There's no more Phase Out, so that's one less thing to worry about. They will die if assaulted, so it's better to not waste points in extra bodies. And this is the cheapest way to spam Night Scythes. These transports have quite good ranged firepower, although they are fragile. Don't expect them to last at all under enemy fire, but Night Fighting, reserves and zooming around can help them capture and contest objectives. Necron Warriors inside the Night Scythes don't disembark if their transport is destroyed. Instead, the Warriors enter normal reserves. So take that in mind as the game comes to an end.
Tomb Blades are cheap firepower. Strength 6 small blasts at 24 inches, but they are heavy weapons. Use the cover of night to put them into position, and the Harbinger's Solar Pulse will let you shoot without worrying about having to see the enemy. Later on they can also contest objectives. Think of them as Long Fangs, but having the ability to redeploy like the Jetbikes they are.
Doom Scythes, well, they are the main source of firepower in the army. Their Death Ray forces them to get close to the target, but since they are Fast Skimmers with Aerial Assault (can fire all their weapons if they move at cruising speed) getting into range shouldn't be a problem. They deal just as well with Hordes as they do with mech armies, since the Death Ray hits once for every miniature in any unit hit... at Strength 10 and AP1. Add to this that they can hit multiple units, and the enemy is in for some pain.

So any thoughts or comments? What do you all think are the weakest points in this army, and how would you fix them?

EDIT: Just for clarification, the Death Ray deals one hit to the unit for each miniature hit. So against hordes you want to draw a line across as many miniatures as possible, and against mech you want to start the line at the edge of one vehicle and towards the closest vehicle to that one. If the enemy is packed because he castled, it won't be too hard to hit 2 vehicles.

lattd
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
My major worry would be that if the troops loose their transport they are rather fragile, but as i havent seen the new codex i really cant say anymore than that.

Lemt
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
That's true, specially now that they have 4+ armor. However, if they lose their transport they go into reserve instead of just being dropped on the open, so it's harder to kill them. Warrior units that have lost their transport should focus on holding home objectives or surviving by entering reserves wherever it seems safest.

Tynskel
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Yay! SPAM! Tastes so good. I expect that list to last about 2 weeks before someone realizes that there are many many more units in the Necron codex.

Lemt
11-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Best of all, Tomb Blades and Scythes don't even have miniatures yet. But my hunger for Spam is greater than any obstacle!
So, about the list itself, anything to comment other than it's spammy as hell?

lattd
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
If the unit goes into reserve once they loose the transport, how are they going to be in position to contest objectives. I would change it to two ten man units in the arks, and then a unit of immortals in a night scythe, and if this frees up points maybe a CC unit or deathmarks.

Pikante
11-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah this has allot of mobile firepower, but dude you need more cypteks, and lords within your different groups. Possibly the counter tactic's overlord in there as well.

I would also recommend the wanderer, the man with the super arrow, and the ability to make tanks shoot their own units!

In case you are wondering.. yes I do have the codex =D

Lemt
11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
If the unit goes into reserve once they loose the transport, how are they going to be in position to contest objectives. I would change it to two ten man units in the arks, and then a unit of immortals in a night scythe, and if this frees up points maybe a CC unit or deathmarks.

Zoom around, then disembark on the last turn. You can disembark a unit a turn earlier on a safe objective and have the Night Scythe go contest something. Basically if they destroy a Night Scythe before the last turn the Warriors that come from normal reserves have to get to a home objective. Odd, but it means you don't have to leave anything on a home objective until the end of the game, just focus on keeping the enemy down.

Yeah this has a lot of mobile firepower, but dude you need more cypteks, and lords within your different groups. Possibly the counter tactic's overlord in there as well.

I would also recommend the wanderer, the man with the super arrow, and the ability to make tanks shoot their own units!

In case you are wondering.. yes I do have the codex =D

The Crypteks are an idea. Drop the Command Barge, and get two more Harbingers of Destruction? That would give me another unit of "Long Fangs" to fire away after Night Fighting ends or when I use the Solar Pulse. Having Lords and Crypteks in your units is mostly a points sink, they don't really provide you with that much power. And spending 150+ points to get another HQ option that just adds a gimmick to the army seems like a waste too.

Wiggins
11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
It's interesting to me that they turned the Destroyers into "reskinned" Vespids, then introduced a new unit with the exact same stats and role as the Destroyers used to have; the Tomb Blade with Particle Beamer. Why would you do that? How does that make sense?

thecactusman17
11-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't know. If they wanted expensive models to sell like hotcakes, they should have made the current ones amazing.

The Twilight Fade
11-05-2011, 06:08 AM
The way I read it is that the death ray doesn't hit ALL members of the squad it passes over just the ones under the line?

Death ray states Every unit (friendly or enemy) underneath the line suffers a number of hits equal to the number of models in the unit underneath the line

Am I missing something?, I played my first game with the new crons yesterday and was convinced me it was how it was above but obv the initial rumours said otherwise

Edit: Whoops just saw the OP edited the original statement and missed the bit at the bottom...my bad

Lemt
11-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, my initial post was worded a bit confusingly, but instead of rewriting it I opted to add a clarification at the end. Still, the line you draw is on average 10.5 inches long, more than enough to hit a bunch of minis.