PDA

View Full Version : new necrons codex

krittoris
11-02-2011, 07:02 PM
ask a guy who got the new necrons codex anything?

Matt 6 - NZ
11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Does the sweep attack target three different units or a single unit three times with the applicable attacks generated?

Hive Mind
11-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Two trains leave Chicago, one travelling to New York, one to Los Angeles...

Necron_Lord
11-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Does the sweep attack target three different units or a single unit three times with the applicable attacks generated?

Sweep Attack: Whilst a character remains embarked on a Catacomb Command Barge, he can make three special 'sweep' attacks each turn. These attacks can be made in the Movement phase against one enemy unit that the Catacomb Command Barge moves over. All attacks must be resolved on the same unit.

That is quoted from this month's WD.

krittoris
11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
the above is correct.

i'll also add from a question posted a few slots down in the forum about necron wraiths. here is there stuff:

its attacks are rending, still moves like the old wraith avoiding terrain ect, and also has a 10 point whip upgrade that makes your opponents innitiative automatically turn to 1.

Matt 6 - NZ
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Unengaged enemy units? or simply ememy units.
Fancy tangling up some enemy unit with a tough unit of your own while a couple of necon lords go all green goblin on their ***.

Whats the points cost on one of these things?

Orminah
11-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Is there a way other than Wraiths to level the playing field in CC?

Kawauso
11-02-2011, 09:40 PM
the above is correct.

i'll also add from a question posted a few slots down in the forum about necron wraiths. here is there stuff:

its attacks are rending, still moves like the old wraith avoiding terrain ect, and also has a 10 point whip upgrade that makes your opponents innitiative automatically turn to 1.

Do they have offensive grenades?
Seems a silly question, but it would actually make the whip upgrade a lot less good, and offensive grenades on assault units aren't necessarily a given (Tyranids).

Also, they're jump infantry now, correct (old codex had them moving like jetbikes)?
Do they have Fleet?

Kawauso
11-02-2011, 09:42 PM

I don't have the codex, but haven't you seen the rumours for their CC units? We know a lot about most of them aside from Wraiths and Scarabs.

The standout on-paper are Lychguard, which are T5 and can be upgraded to have a 4++ save and power weapon.

Tolmortian
11-02-2011, 09:58 PM
can you run us down on the units presented in the codex that are not included in the first wave with a small description please.

Necron_Lord
11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Unengaged enemy units? or simply ememy units.
Fancy tangling up some enemy unit with a tough unit of your own while a couple of necon lords go all green goblin on their ***.

Whats the points cost on one of these things?

Unless an FAQ will say otherwise, I would think even engaged units could be attacked. No cover saves are allowed, just like normal CC. Vehicles are hit on the rear armor like in CC. So yeah, one can attack units already engaged in CC with CC attacks.

Regarding cost, a vanilla Overlord in a Catacomb Command Barge was 210 points in the WD batrep. So it costs about the same as a tricked out Destroyer Lord in the old codex.

krittoris
11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
points cost of a wraith is 35 points per model.
no grenades :(

yes, scarabs are 3 bases for 45 points but they have 4 attacks and 3 wounds per base, plus there attacks have a special rule that makes them viable for destroying tanks and removing the armour save of model permenantly.

entropic strike: any model that suffers one or more unsaved wounds from a weapon or model with this special rule means it loses its armour save for the duration of the game
(effectivly altering the models armour save to '-')
in addition to this effect for each hit a vehicle suffers from a weapon or model with this rule , roll a d6, for each result of 4+ it immidiately loses 1 point of armour value from all facing. once the armour is reduced to 0 on even 1 facing or side the vehicle is immidiately wrecked.

another good close combat unit is 'flayed ones', they have low initiative like all the necrones (i2), but dish out 50 attacks on the charge with a unit of 10, which costs 130 points.

another good unit is the new necron jetbikes, to simplify it, put a necron immortal with a tesla carbine, on a jetbike :p

krittoris
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Regarding cost, a vanilla Overlord in a Catacomb Command Barge was 210 points in the WD batrep. So it costs about the same as a tricked out Destroyer Lord.

a necron overlord is 90 points and a catacomb comand barge is 80 points (total 170 point unit)

but there are alot of cool options for the overlord

DrWobbles
11-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I would like to know more about C'tan abilities, especially the "fire lord" rule.

also want to hear about the scorpion walker as well as the flier rules.

Thanks in advance!!!

ooh! and cryptek abilities!

krittoris
11-02-2011, 11:25 PM
characters:
225 pts imotek the stormlord - as seen in WD

185 pts nemesor zahndrek - crazed old necron overlord, allows you units to deepstrike in the opponents turn, takes away a special rule from a unit each turn automatically if there within lin of sight (limited to 1 use per turn), gives a special rule to a freindly unit once per turn, furious charge eg.

160 ptsvargard obyron- bodyguard to above, can use his veil of darkness even in close combat and out of close combate, automatically teleports and piles in when nemesor zahndrek assault or is assulted.

100 pts illuminor szeraz- he is the fabius bile of the necrons, machine looking spider legs too.

165 pts orikaner the diviner - he is a overlord who reads the stars, pretty crap stat line but at the start of each turn he uses a rule, 'the stars are right', he rolls a d6 and if the roll is less than or equal to the game turn, he becomes orikan empowered, a second profile with nuts boss stats ws 5 bs 5 s7 t7 w4 i4 a4 ld10

175 points trazyn the infinite - as seen in WD

165 points anrakyr the traveller - he is pretty much a decked out overlord on a personal quest to save the necron empire, and unite it, he gets a special unit of buffed up close combate immortals with furious charge.

warriors and imortals - are troops and cost 13 pts and 17 pts each, immortals can have tesla weapons that whenever you roll a 6 to hit with it, the opponent takes 2 automatic additional hits.

night scyth - is a necron transport flyer with a special tesla gun.

comand barge and ghost ark - - as seen in WD

deathmarks - as seen in WD

lychguards - as seen in WD

triarch preatorians - as seen in WD

c'tan SHARD - It is the shard of the c'tan that the necrons destroyed, he is a beast in CC or shooting, with about 10 different power upgrades. he is 185 points.

flayed one pack - very good in CC imo, can be made into large squads of 20.

triarch stalker - spider walker vehicle that shoots a multimelta with assault 2, can be upgraded with heavy gauss weaponry.

canoptek wraiths - as posted earlier.

canoptek scarabs -. as posted earlier.

tomb blades - these are a jetbike that costs 20pts per model and can be upgraded with mode of the necron weapons arsenal, they start off with the same tesla weapon as the imortals and resembles a flying immortal.

necron destroyers - same as the old ones. can be upgraded to heavy destroyers.

doomsday arc - as seen in WD

annhialation barge - as seen in WD

Monolith - as seen in WD

doom scythe - necron flyer, its a necron version of the razorwing jetfighter, but without the missiles it get a death ray gun (range 12'', s10, ap1) and tesla heavy weaponry.

canoptek spyder - pretty much a tomb spyder, 50 points.

krittoris
11-02-2011, 11:39 PM
I would like to know more about C'tan abilities, especially the "fire lord" rule.

also want to hear about the scorpion walker as well as the flier rules.

Thanks in advance!!!

ooh! and cryptek abilities!

posted a big post just waiting for a mod to approve it.has the flyer info there.

scorpion walker = triarch stalker:, it has living metal, move through cover, targeting relay (if it shoots and hits an enemy unit, all freindly units shooting at that unit gain twin linked weapons for the rest of the turn)

can swap weapons for a twin linked h/gauss cannon or a( particle shredder (24'', s7, AP4))

C'TAN SHARD- shooting powers:
pyreshard - 18'', s4, ap-, assault 8
moulder of worlds - 24'', s4, ap-, large blast, assault 1.
transdimensional thunderbolt - 24'', s9, ap2, assault1.

cc for the ctan:
times arrow - all models in base contact with the c'tan after each assault phase, must make an inititive test, if they fail they are automatically removed as a casualty.

swarm of spirit dust: stealth, assault and defensive grenades.

entropic touch - gives it entropic trike special rule same as the scarabs.

gaze of death - large blast marker on the ctans head after all blows have been struck this combat phase, all other models under the marker suffer a strnght 3 hit with no armour saves allowed.

lord of fire - all flamer weapons aswell as burnas, heat rays, skorchas, inferno cannons and any with the melta special rule, fired withing 12'' of the ctan, have a chance of exploding on a d6 roll of 1, the weapon detonated (roll for each weapon seperately) and the weapons carrier is removed as a casualty. vehicles count it as weapon destroyed.

when the ctan dies, his necrodermus detonates and all models within d6'' take a s4 ap1 hit.

ctan ignores difficult and dangerous terrain.

krittoris
11-02-2011, 11:40 PM
posted, just waiting for the mods to approve them since there very long, dr wobbles. :)

Necron_Lord
11-03-2011, 01:18 AM
a necron overlord is 90 points and a catacomb comand barge is 80 points (total 170 point unit)

but there are alot of cool options for the overlord

Would you be so kind as to post these cool options with points costs? Enquiring minds want to know!:D

krittoris
11-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Would you be so kind as to post these cool options with points costs? Enquiring minds want to know!:D

of course :)

here are the necron overlord options:

free, hyperphase sword - power weapon.
10 points voidblade - cc weapon with rending and entropic strike.
5 points, gauntlet of fire - cc weapon w/ reroll to hit and wound, also shoots (template, s4, ap5)
10 points, warscythe -2handed power weapon, +2 strenght, 2d6 armour pen.

15 points, phylactery - on the first reanimation protocol roll the model has to take, returns with d3 wounds if he passes.
15 points, sempiternal weave - 2+ armour save.
20 points, tesseract labrynth - one use only, choose a charcter or monstorus creature in base contact, that play must roll a d6 and have a roll under the models remaining moves or it is removed as a casualty with no saves of any kind allowed.
15 points, phase shifter - 3+ invulnerable save.
30 points, tacyon arrow -one use, (unlimited, s10, ap1, assault 1)
15 points, mindshackle scarabs - opponents model in combat takes a 3d6 leadership test, if he fails he strikes his own unit with d3 attacks when its his turn in combat, gaining all bonuses he would normally have. >:)
30 points, resurection orb - the unit the overlord is with get there 'reanimation protocol' rolls on a 4+ instead of 5+.

DrWobbles
11-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Hooray Krittoris!

That Tacyon arrow is downright mean. The phase shifter got a huge boost, its half price and +1 to the save. I wonder if you can single out models with mind shackle scarabs, if so it would be a great way to divert hidden fists.

CridiDeal
11-03-2011, 03:38 AM
of course :)

20 points, tesseract labrynth - one use only, choose a charcter or monstorus creature in base contact, that play must roll a d6 and have a roll under the models remaining moves or it is removed as a casualty with no saves of any kind allowed.

Did you mean "under the models remaining wounds" ?

krittoris
11-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Did you mean "under the models remaining wounds" ?

yes sorry, spelling error on my behalf, thanks :)

and dr, i will check when i get back into the codex but i believe the wording is you choose a model in base contact. but will double check when i get home.

UltramarineFan
11-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Thank you very much Krittoris, I'll be getting the codex on saturday anyway (or tomorrow afternoon if I'm lucky) but I still need my necrons fix sooner! :D

CKO
11-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Does the Monolith teleport abilities have a range? How close does the enemy have to be to attempt to suck them up and how close do allies have to be to teleport them?

Ataraxean
11-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Allies Can be teleported from anywhere on the board (though not out of close combat anymore I beleive).

The evil door vacuum has a range of 1d6 inches, and requires line of sight to the models in question.

The funny thing is that its a strength test, so you can suck up dreadnaughts if they roll a 6 (since 6 always fails as I recall) as they're not excepted from it.

EvilEd209
11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
My question: What can Crypteks do for a units and can they be broken out of the Royal Court to lead, say units of Warriors in a Ghost Ark?

Thanks,

Ed

Necron_Lord
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Vielen Dank for the posts, kittoris! You have made me one happy Necron Lord! There are only a couple other things I would like to know before Saturday, so if you could confirm or post it would be greatly appreciated.

First, what are the stats for the Tesla Cannon and does it have any special abilities?

Second, I would like to compare the Lychguard and Triarch Praetorian as I would like to get a unit of one of these and am leaning towards 10 Lychguard with Hyperphase Swords and Dispersion Shields. Please confirm if I am correct. Lychguard are equipped with Warscythes as standard for 40 points, but can be upgraded to have Hyperphase Swords and Dispersion Shields for 5 points each. Dispersion Shields grant a 4+ Invulnerable Save and if they make a successful Invulnerable Save in the Shooting Phase, that attack gets deflected on an enemy unit within 6" (assault range). Lychguard also must all be equipped the same as they are about order, etc. They would never be so 'anarchic' as to have Warscythes and Hyperphase Swords in the same unit.

Regarding Triarch Praetorians, they come equipped with Rods of Covenant as standard for 40 points. Could you confirm what they do? Are they Power Weapons or Rending? What are the range and stats of the shooting attacks? If you choose to equip them with Particle Casters and Void Blades will it cost more per model? If so, by how much? I take it that Void Blades are rending with the 'Entropic Strike' ability, but what are the stats and range for the Particle Casters? I also assume that the unit must all be equipped the same.

Thanks again for your posting, kittoris!

karnij
11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I am also very curious about exactly how Tesla weapons work.

JMichael
11-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Two trains leave Chicago, one travelling to New York, one to Los Angeles...

and? Don't leave me hanging like that! What happens to the trains...

commandojimbob
11-03-2011, 10:36 AM
another good close combat unit is 'flayed ones', they have low initiative like all the necrones (i2), but dish out 50 attacks on the charge with a unit of 10, which costs 130 points.

50 attacks on the charge ??? Do they have a special rule for an extra attack when they charge as their base "A" value is 3 - if they do have a bonus to charge, then Flayed Ones would indeed look very good !

UltramarineFan
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
50 attacks on the charge ??? Do they have a special rule for an extra attack when they charge as their base "A" value is 3 - if they do have a bonus to charge, then Flayed Ones would indeed look very good !

Checked the website and it says that they get 4 attacks each on the charge so confused now, they either get 4 or 5 attacks each, which one is it?

JMichael
11-03-2011, 12:06 PM
maybe they have 3Attacks, 2 CCW, + the charge.

EvilEd209
11-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Checked the website and it says that they get 4 attacks each on the charge so confused now, they either get 4 or 5 attacks each, which one is it?

Everything I have seen has them at base 3 Attacks with 4 on the charge. I can not imagine for their low point cost them coming with base 4 attacks, that would be nuts!

Lemt
11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Are there any combinations of upgrades for Lords that aren't allowed? Is there an upgrade total cost limit as in the old codex? And can you still use Destroyer Lords?

EvilEd209
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Are there any combinations of upgrades for Lords that aren't allowed? Is there an upgrade total cost limit as in the old codex? And can you still use Destroyer Lords?

The old style point cost limits on an HQ choices of wargear went the way of the dodo bird my friend, old 3rd edition rules that no longer exist.

I think the only restriction on the Destroyer Lord is that he can not have a Royal Court.

Forever_Bunny
11-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I was wondering if anybody could explain how 'We'll Be Back' rule works now.

Is it after every phase, every turn, or just on your turn/phase?

And do you remove the model on failed rolls or do you keep going until you pass?

Lemt
11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
When a Necron model is destroyed, his unit gets a token. At the end of each phase, you rolla D6 for each token. If you pass the roll (generally 5+) you put the model back in the unit (and lose the token). If you fail you remove the token, and get nothing. Some miniatures can get back up even if alone, but that's how it usually works. If the whole unit is destroyed, the tokens on that unit are wasted.

sangrail777
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Is there are restriction on how many Resurection Orbs can be in an army? What is the range of the Res Orb?
Thanks for answering questions by the way this is kinda kool.

Advachiel
11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
First off, do the wraiths have more wounds now, if not, are they still 3++?

secondly, are TS in the codex? If so, what is their function?

Col_Festus
11-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Do they have offensive grenades?
Seems a silly question, but it would actually make the whip upgrade a lot less good, and offensive grenades on assault units aren't necessarily a given (Tyranids).

Also, they're jump infantry now, correct (old codex had them moving like jetbikes)?
Do they have Fleet?

Don't wraiths ignore terrain? You only need offensive grenades if have to roll difficult terrain on the assault, other wise its initiative. If they don't have to roll, terrain has no effect.

MaxKool
11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Don't wraiths ignore terrain? You only need offensive grenades if have to roll difficult terrain on the assault, other wise its initiative. If they don't have to roll, terrain has no effect.

Ding ding ding we have a winner!
This Is exactly what I thought when I saw the question. The wraiths ignore terrain still so have no need for grenades...
Thank god.... I would have liked to see some of our former jetbike units have fleet to give them some of the speed back they have lost as jump infantry army all that fast and army relentless either(wich may or may not be a problem for destroyers)

Defenestratus
11-03-2011, 02:29 PM
This Is exactly what I thought when I saw the question. The wraiths ignore terrain still so have no need for grenades...
Thank god.... I would have liked to see some of our former jetbike units have fleet to give them some of the speed back they have lost as jump infantry army all that fast and army relentless either(wich may or may not be a problem for destroyers)

*nm* Misread your post.

Malachi
11-03-2011, 03:03 PM

It all depends on the wording in the codex. Does it say they "ignore all terrain" or does it say they "move like Jump Infantry"? If it is the latter, they would still need Offensive Grenades to strike at Initiative when assaulting.

crazyzombie
11-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I think that 2+/ 3++ Overlord with warscyths are going to be a staple in most lists. This build has the same Toughness and save as Drago, plus 2 strength and reanimation protocal. All for less then half his points!

Lemt
11-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm not so sure you need to spend the points to give it 2+ armor, I'd pretty much leave it at 3+/3++. Most things that will target him ignore all armor, so why bother?

Malkuth
11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Are destroyers really 1-3 per unit now?

sgt_easton
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Any info on the scorpion/walker mech thing with the praetorian on it?

crazyzombie
11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
the 2+ is to help keep stray wound off of the lord, plus 15 points for that sort of upgrade is cheap

FlyinFungi
11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Does the monolith have any upgrades?
Are there any other GODS to choose fom other then Nightbringer and Deciver?
How badass do the special characeters look to you? Are they playable?

Kawauso
11-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Herp-a-derp. Can you tell how long it's been since I've played with my Necrons? :)

krittoris
11-03-2011, 07:24 PM
ok just to answer a few questions.

yes, destroyers are a squad of 1-3, and can be upgraded after that to heavy destroyers, i.e your squad can contain a heavy destroyer and 2 normal destroyers if you like.

flayed ones have 4 attacks each on the charge, no cc weapons on the profile, my bad!!!

there are no restrictions on the necron lord wargear i can find, except only allowed one weapon option, also there is no limit on resurections orbs.

wraiths move and act like jump infantry, but that just ignore 'ALL' the effects of difficult and dnagerous terrain. :)

CHARACTERS/: They look awesome, but they are not overly great due to them all being as low initiative as a necron, so makes them no exactly monstrous in close combat. but there points costs refects this so makes them worth it.

monolith does not have any upgrades.

TESLA WEPONS basic tesla weapon is (24'', s6, ap-, assault 2) when you roll a 6 to hit with a telsa weapon the squad or model that was hit takes 2 automatic additional hits.

krittoris
11-03-2011, 07:26 PM
just waiting for mods to accept my posts alot of questions answered and alot more info in them :)

lonekthx
11-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Are destroyers really 1-3 per unit now?

1-5.

doogansquest
11-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Does the monolith have any upgrades?
Are there any other GODS to choose fom other then Nightbringer and Deciver?
How badass do the special characeters look to you? Are they playable?

*The Monolith doesn't really have many variations.
*You don't choose between the Nightbringer and the Deceiver. You purchase a standard C'Tan Shard, and then buy him any two of nearly a dozen characteristics which give said unit cool abilities/weapons.
*Some of the special characters seem okay. Imotekh has a ton of abilities that don't really do anything, and he can't even attempt to Seize against Orks for whatever reason. The perma-Nightfighting is okay, and he can rain down lightning bolts. At 225 points, he's not too steep.

Standard Overlords and Crypteks are great though; the latter of whom can attach to a unit and buff it in a variety of different ways by selecting a Harbinger path.

It's nice to see a Codex where the vanilla characters are probably more important than the Specials for a change.

Reecius
11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2011/11/04/signals-from-the-frontline-episode-3-necron-codex-review/

For your listening pleasure! A complete dex breakdown =)

Takes a second to load, be patient =)

Teufelhunde
11-04-2011, 01:55 AM
It all depends on the wording in the codex. Does it say they "ignore all terrain" or does it say they "move like Jump Infantry"? If it is the latter, they would still need Offensive Grenades to strike at Initiative when assaulting.

If what I remember reading is right, Wraiths don't "move like Jump Infantry", they are Jump Infantry with a special rule that allows them to ignore terrain for all purposes. I think it's the same exact rule in the 3e codex that allows them to ignore terrain.

Alessander
11-04-2011, 03:02 AM
A lot of FLGS are ready selling the Necron stuff, I picked up my copy, Imotekh and an annihilation barge Wednesday.
I think the deep strike rules will change for 6th ed, since some of the deep strike mechanics in this new codex are a little odd (and rumors say that this codex was written with 6th ed in mind).

The Annihilation Barge/Command Barge combo box comes with a Necron Overlord standard. Easy to magnetize the Tesla Destructor and Lord Handrail to be flexible. And all the special characters can buy a Command Barge as well.
I wonder why the Trans-dimensional Beamer (ranged weapon that if it hits, one random model in the target unit has to make a STR test or be removed from table) is listed in the Wargear section when (AFAIK) only a Orikan the Diviner (special character) carries it. Why isn't it listed in just his bio like with all the other character-unique wargear? I have a feeling it was a OverLord/Lord wargear option but got removed from their options before printing. edit: just saw that Wraiths can take it too. no point because it's that or a the near-autoinclude whip tail - see below.

I played a few games with the rules today. Observations and spoilers:

SPOILERS

All new Necron vehciles (so all vehicles except for the Monolith) are OPEN-TOPPED. Uggh!
C'Tan Shards is only unit that is not I2 (it's I4). Potentially lethal combo with the C'Tan ability to make all enemy Difficult Terrain tests into Dangerous Terrain ("writhing worldscape") and Okiran the Diviner's (special HQ character) ability to make all turn 1 enemy movement Difficult Terrain, and the Transmogification Cryptek's default ranged weapon of the Tremorstave that forces difficult terrain on a unit upon hitting).
Doomsday Arc's big weapon is NOT Ordnance, just Large Blast.
Monlith's Particle whip IS Ordnance. So you can't fire the whip and the flux arc/portal-suck at same time.
Monolith's Portal-sucking ability (all enemies within D6" make a STR check or get pulled off table with no saves) is GREAT and can't be knocked out by weapon destroyed results on the Monolith! One monolith Sucked up 3 full wound paladins and some Purifiers in a single game. Enemies will be loath to get their meltaguns and thunderhammers close to the monolith because of this ability.
Monolith's portal can teleport in any unit from the table that's not engaged. It can also pull a unit out of reserve! So you don't care if that unit failed it's reserve roll, you can still pull! Actually, this is the only way to use the portal for reserves - if a unit comes in via reserve, it can't use the portal.
Monliths that are in reserve MUST deep Strike. They don't have the old drop-pod ability to maneuver around bad scatters though.
The nerf to Living metal isn't as bad as I thought, it's essentially a glorified extra armor (ignore shaken on 2+ and stunned on 4+). All vehicles have it. The re-vulnerability to melta and lance will hurt though.
Spyders have no effect on Resurrection anymore whatsoever. They can buy special claws to fix vehicle damage though.
Spyders can buy a "gloom shroud" which can nullify enemy psychic powers aimed at friendly units within 3".
Tomb Spiders are GREAT for cranking out scarabs swarms (they add to existing swarms). And with edition buff to 3 wounds now, they can keep cranking them out even after taking their first assembly-related wound. A maxed unit of 3 spyders cranks easily cranked out enough to swamp a unit of paladins. We figured that you could technically spam spyders (9 in an army) to crank out 127 wounds worth of scarabs in a single game… As far as we read, they CAN add to swarms that are engaged in combat.
The Night Scythe has a "portal" type of transport - 15 wounds worth of models, jump packs are count as 2, bikes 3. If the vehicle is killed, the transported units just get put back in reserve. I expect the Eldar's Storm Spinner vehicle to have the same rule.
the Walker (Triarch Stalker) has Heat Ray that is just like the 40K 2nd edition multimelta - either a multimelta or a heavy flamer. It has an ability that if it tag an enemy with any shot, all friendly shots that turn at the enemy count as twin linked.
Court allows up to 5 Lords and 5 Crypeks.But you can have one court per Overlord.
Crypteks can be upgraded into five specializations ("harbringers") which each give a default weapon to replace their warsythes. each specialization has two unique additional weapons to buy but each court can only have one of each weapon.
Doom Sythe Death Ray weapon: pick a spot within 12", then another spot within 3D6" of the first one. All models under the line take a S10 AP1 hit (but distributed as normal on the unit so no sniping).
Tomb Blades (the jetbikes) can upgrade their BS, Armor or buy stealth. They can upgrade their tesla carbines to particle beamers (24" S6 AP5 large blast).

OBSERVATIONS

Scarabs are WICKED against any vehicles, since the entropic spike (-1 to all armor faces on 4+ per hit) takes effect AFTER they hit but BEFORE they roll for armor penetration on the vehicle. A 2 swarm bases have a decent chance take out armor 14. Hard to get the ability it to work against paladins though.
Necron Warriors are really squishy now with their 4+ save and IMHO Ghost Arcs don't help much.
Wraiths can be upgraded with whip tails (same as lash whips but effect the entire enemy unit!) which are GREAT alongside all other Necron assault units. Otherwise the necron assault units suffer from I2.
We all agreed that the new flayed ones look like crap. You really ned a ton of them to be effective if they are not being run alongside Wraiths.

Generally we found that it's a fairly balanced codex, we couldn't find ways to break it yet. The assault units need synergy, and all the powerful units are priced fairly well.

FYI - Silver Compass Designs already has some Necron tokens being made and will have them on their website & eBay by this weekend (the guy who owns the company goes to my FLGS).

Kawauso
11-04-2011, 03:36 AM
All new Necron vehciles (so all vehicles except for the Monolith) are OPEN-TOPPED. Uggh!

I thought the Night Scythe (the transport one?) isn't open-topped?
Also, seeing as most of their vehicles start the game at AV13 on front/side, is open-topped really going to be that big a problem? I imagine they'll be shrugging off a lot more ranged anti-tank fire than your average army full of AV 12-11 everywhere.

Glad to hear the Monolith's portal is threatening enough that it can negate some of the threat that melta weapons will now provide it. I had to smile at the thought of it sucking up a few Paladins like a hoover.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
11-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Just read my friends copy of the Codex here, have to say it's a bad day to be a SM.
*SPOILERS*
With lots of AP 1 or 2 weapons its really going to hurt.
With weapons that can arc from a squad to another also bad. Special Characters are really going to be priorty targets now.
Why, how about a wargear that makes you roll your strength save or be removed (once off).
Or wargear that removes your armour saves now??

The Necrons really got a great upgrade with both miniatures and also codex.
I only have one serious beef with it, Ward screwing fluff yet again with one of the Necron SC's having the skull of Sebastion Thor. Does Ward have it in for anything SoB?? Seriously how is it that some Necron has his skull when he died of old age, not war, and was buried in a wing of the Imperial Palace, second in size only to the Emporer??
I bet he just walked in, said "excuse me, coming through, mind if i open this crypt and borrow this skull"..
So lame....

Overall, good codex, tough, but with the ongoing power-up of current codex, no surprise on how good they got.
5 New characters, 7 new units, all up 9 HQ choices.

DrLove42
11-04-2011, 04:52 AM
Oh god...you have Open Topped vehciles? What ever will you do? Oh on...wait. They're Av13 off the bat....go see how much sympathy you get off a DE player.

It seems balenced from what i can see and in WD, but i'm sure someone will find a way of breaking the hell out of it.

Deadlift
11-04-2011, 05:03 AM
just got my pre-order today.....I am happy :) and for those of us who use them.....new transfer sheet as well as the old one in the boxes now

Lemt
11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Just read my friends copy of the Codex here, have to say it's a bad day to be a SM.
*SPOILERS*
With lots of AP 1 or 2 weapons its really going to hurt.
With weapons that can arc from a squad to another also bad. Special Characters are really going to be priorty targets now.
Why, how about a wargear that makes you roll your strength save or be removed (once off).
Or wargear that removes your armour saves now??

The Necrons really got a great upgrade with both miniatures and also codex.
I only have one serious beef with it, Ward screwing fluff yet again with one of the Necron SC's having the skull of Sebastion Thor. Does Ward have it in for anything SoB?? Seriously how is it that some Necron has his skull when he died of old age, not war, and was buried in a wing of the Imperial Palace, second in size only to the Emporer??
I bet he just walked in, said "excuse me, coming through, mind if i open this crypt and borrow this skull"..
So lame....

Overall, good codex, tough, but with the ongoing power-up of current codex, no surprise on how good they got.
5 New characters, 7 new units, all up 9 HQ choices.

I'll just assume he has a fake and doesn't even know it.
Back to Necrons, what's up with them no longer having faster-than-light travel? Apparently they rely on the Webway to get around...
Good codex for the most part however. I'm glad they are now presented as an end-of-galaxy threat, but since they are only just awakening they are still vulnerable.

Demonus
11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Im still not quite sure how you can view the nerf to the Monolith as "not that big a deal"

-It will be made useless by round 2 by any DE player with a Ravager or a couple of Raiders with Lances.
-It will be melta'd to death by any Marine army.
- MC will eat it for breakfast as they never need more than 4+ to hit and have 2d6 to their pen
- Unless you play with 0 terrain, it has had its deepstrike capability reduced to almost 0. It also MUST DS if you reserve it.
-The str of its big gun went down from 9 to 8 (why was this necessary?) AND the big gun can be destroyed i heard.
- It lost the ability to pull troops out of combat, which is pretty much the main thing I ever used mine to do.
- Can no longer assault out of it. Huge.

For all that nerfing, it gained:

- ability to pull any troops through, not just necrons (of course you cant assault so LG and Wraiths and Scarabs and flayed ones have little point to use this.
- d6" sucky thing. Cool concept but I think it should have been a fixed number, 6" min, to maybe 9". its already limited by the fact it only effects things by entrance.
- chance to resist shaken/stunned. old monolith ignored shaken results when it fired particle beam anyway
- ability to pull models through from anywhere on board. i like this, but rarely was a unit more than 18" from monolith (unless Destroyers)

Sorry but Ill pay the extra 35 points for Immunity to Lance and no mishaps on deepstrike. I mean seriously? Friggin DROP PODS are immune to mishaps except falling off the board. And you cant tell me a Monolith (5 x cost) doesnt have better technology. So much for indestructible fortresses slowly floating across the field. Mine will make a nice piece of scenery i guess.

lattd
11-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I think the monolith has had a massive beating by the nerf bat, however it was a tad broken but this is too much of a swing.

Kawauso
11-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Im still not quite sure how you can view the nerf to the Monolith as "not that big a deal"

-It will be made useless by round 2 by any DE player with a Ravager or a couple of Raiders with Lances.
-It will be melta'd to death by any Marine army.
- MC will eat it for breakfast as they never need more than 4+ to hit and have 2d6 to their pen
- Unless you play with 0 terrain, it has had its deepstrike capability reduced to almost 0. It also MUST DS if you reserve it.
-The str of its big gun went down from 9 to 8 (why was this necessary?) AND the big gun can be destroyed i heard.
- It lost the ability to pull troops out of combat, which is pretty much the main thing I ever used mine to do.
- Can no longer assault out of it. Huge.

For all that nerfing, it gained:

- ability to pull any troops through, not just necrons (of course you cant assault so LG and Wraiths and Scarabs and flayed ones have little point to use this.
- d6" sucky thing. Cool concept but I think it should have been a fixed number, 6" min, to maybe 9". its already limited by the fact it only effects things by entrance.
- chance to resist shaken/stunned. old monolith ignored shaken results when it fired particle beam anyway
- ability to pull models through from anywhere on board. i like this, but rarely was a unit more than 18" from monolith (unless Destroyers)

Sorry but Ill pay the extra 35 points for Immunity to Lance and no mishaps on deepstrike. I mean seriously? Friggin DROP PODS are immune to mishaps except falling off the board. And you cant tell me a Monolith (5 x cost) doesnt have better technology. So much for indestructible fortresses slowly floating across the field. Mine will make a nice piece of scenery i guess.

Here's the thing with lances...
Yes, they make it easier for armies with access to them to take on AV14.
However, they do so by effectively making those vehicles AV12.
What do bright/dark lances struggle the most against? Oh yeah, AV12.

All lances do is change a target like the Monolith from 'nigh impossible to shut down' to 'really friggen' hard to shut down'.

The nerf is not that bad.

Melta? If it's in melta range, it's in range of the Gate of Eternity.

Granted, I haven't gotten in any games under the new rules...
But I don't think the changes to the Monolith are as bad as some people are saying.
It's more vulnerable now, sure. but that's relative to before, where virtually every army in the game -had- to ignore it because it was in no way effective to try and shoot it down.

Now that Necrons have cheaper units all around, and crazy new options elsewhere, and no longer have Phase Out(!), I think it's only fair that the former unkillable super-tank is now, well, as killable as a Land Raider.

Demonus
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Melta? If it's in melta range, it's in range of the Gate of Eternity.

Two flaws with this statement:

1. MultiMeltas
2. Can you honestly tell me that anything shooting melta weapons at a Monlith will leave it alive to Gate of Eternity anything? The majority of melta users are BS 4 (DE, Marines, Fire Dragons, IG Vets). so there is a 66% of being hit. Once hit you need a 7 on 2d6 to pen, and then need to roll a 4+ to negate the Gate Attack (next round).

With Storm Ravens being Immune to melta, and Wave Serpents from the front arc, there was no need to remove it from Monoliths.

Necron_Lord
11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
@Demonus

Yeah, Monoliths aren't as indestructible as they used to be and can be worried about melta and lance weapons now. They're still 40-50 points cheaper than a Land Raider and have Living Metal, so they aren't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Bottom line the change has happened and you'll have to adapt.

DE players have managed to cope with 25 point Dark Lances. You'll just have to do the same.

Demonus
11-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh I understand about adapting. My Iron Warriors used to field four heavy weapon slots and could use basilisks =P.

My adaptation will be to use something else in the slot instead of a Monolith, which is a shame really. 1. because I actually own 2 painted Monoliths, and 2. because it was an awesome concept.

Monoliths were tough SOBs that slowly made their way across the field. Imposing. Hard to kill, but not impossible (hello 1 lascannon or basilisk shot?) They could Deep Strike in and PUSH guys out of their way with how badass they were.

Now I wont go as far as to call them the Chaos Spawn of 5th/6th Necron Codex....but damn close imho =P

AwesomeWolf
11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Lascannons and basilisks being great answers for armies that don't have them.

It's still harder to kill than a LR, for less. The old Living Metal rule was just too punishing against some armies.

Xas
11-04-2011, 05:44 PM
phaseout was the price necrons paid for their indestructible monolith.

I'm looking forward to get a slightly more killable monolith and have phaseout gone :)

Kawauso
11-04-2011, 07:12 PM

I'm looking forward to get a slightly more killable monolith and have phaseout gone :)

This. A hundred times this.

The old Monolith was a crutch that enabled a sorely out-of-date army to have something big and scary. Now much of the army has something it can bring to the table. The new Monolith is still good...it's just not indestructible. Which is only fair, really, for all those armies without access to tons of melta, etc.

Stormravens being immune to melta is -not- the same thing. 1 point of armour is huge in game terms. It being 2 points of armour less than the Monolith means a -lot- more in terms of armies being able to take it out without melta.

Kreedos
11-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Demonus, You're being really dramatic. Old Monoliths not being effected by 2d6 weapons, was completely unfair. Even giving them melta immunity would be unfair, even for 35 points more. Most armies don't have anything that can kill a monolith, and at most they would only have 2-3 threats to it, which probably wouldn't come close to wrecking it. It's almost not fair to have something cost less than a LR, that is AV14, with better weapons, and can ignore shaken and stunned, all for 200 pts. Giving it Melta immunity would be way overpowered, esp considering the power level we're seeing at this stage of the codex seems to be very high. Monoliths are still very viable, they get killed by what Land Raiders fear but for less of a cost, and that my friends is pretty damn fair.

For the record, I play Necrons, and Sisters.

Kawauso
11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Don't forget they also used to ignore Lance, chainfists, the Vindicare's Turbo-Penetrator, bonus D3's from rending, bonus die for monstrous creatures...

They were really, really, really hard to kill. ;)

Unless you were Tau. Even then, AV14 can last a surprisingly long time against railguns.

Deadlift
11-05-2011, 02:09 AM

Again I agree with this totally.

Look at all the new toys we got and its definatly a good trade off for the Monolith nerf. The Necrons are now a much more aggressive shooting army.

Page 50 of the new codex, Death Ray........enough said :D

Maelstorm
11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Xas
"phaseout was the price necrons paid for their indestructible monolith.

I'm looking forward to get a slightly more killable monolith and have phaseout gone"

======================

I'm looking forward to getting a more killable Monolith and 80% of the original models nerfed to have Phase out gone (I was phased-out just once out of 90+ games, and then only when playing a 500 point game). Bring on army-wide 24" range on all but a few weapons and army-wide Init 2, getting mudstomped and swept in close combat is always fun.

30 Necron Scarab Swarms, a selection of gimmicky HQ's and Necron (Ward) Mech-spam it shall be!

Defenestratus
11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I always love aa good old fashioned maelstrom *****fest about necrons. Its almost as if his ancedotal experience is the only empirical evidence that we need to prove that necrons are forever and truely screwed.

One phaseout in 90 games.. I suppose that you're going to offer to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn next.

Gir
11-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Look everyone! Maelstrom is unhappy with Necrons! This is a completely new and unforeseeable event!

Wildcard
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
I find it disturbing that someone is crying with new necron dex in his hands..

- Its full of new stuff when compared to old codex
- It has plenty of new stuff, never before seen in any of codexes
- It has superb amounts of viable options, making it really hard to choose units and your army list from
(okies, monolith seems like a worst unit currently, but still not that bad)
- HQs have synergy with army and with eachother -> Both utility and melee ~monster options

- Stated by Matt Ward that its an elite shooting army
-> Yet it has lots of viable melee options
--> Power weapons and 4++ stormshields
--> Wraith + squad of warscythes will make any foe cry a river (atleast GK)

So, all kinds of cool, neat, and new + usefull stuff

Whereas GK (Last Wards experimental codex) was supposed to be elite shooting army:
- All cool concept units are too high prised or perform way too badly (for the role / for the slot) -> no hard choices
- Only a couple of viable (that become mandatory) upgrades for units and vehicles
- GKs can't perform that well in melee
- Only way to get melee provess is to get henchmen and lose a HQ-slot while doing so
- Those unique GK things got nerfed badly (even 1 point in statline can be crucial) ~because of the major crying that followed the leaks :)

- One cant call it unique elite shooty army if:
1) All its viable weapons are from marine dex with +1str
2) No matter how 'elite' you wanna make it sound, if they still hit with same accuracy than every other marine in the galaxy -> once again, hardly justify it to be 'elite'
3) Theres only 1 viable build from whole codex to make it 'elite' - in the competitive tourney sense..

Necrons on the other hand, got one of the best, diverse yet intriquing codex up to date. Lots of options, all seems viable on paper, hard choices, ability to gear your favourites for a certain task (so that they can even have hope of accomplishing that task). Lots of cool special rules, and completely new weapon types.
Even if there seems to be some cheesy builds, and really harsh times on the horizon for many armies, i am still glad necrons got what they did

Hell, don't you come crying here about the frigging 'dex.

And no - I have not, and will not play necrons myself (other than possibly a testgame in the far future)

Kawauso
11-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by Xas
"phaseout was the price necrons paid for their indestructible monolith.

I'm looking forward to get a slightly more killable monolith and have phaseout gone"

======================

I'm looking forward to getting a more killable Monolith and 80% of the original models nerfed to have Phase out gone (I was phased-out just once out of 90+ games, and then only when playing a 500 point game). Bring on army-wide 24" range on all but a few weapons and army-wide Init 2, getting mudstomped and swept in close combat is always fun.

30 Necron Scarab Swarms, a selection of gimmicky HQ's and Necron (Ward) Mech-spam it shall be!

Yeah, because Necrons had so much going on outside of 24" before, outside of Destroyer spam. Wait, aren't you complaining about being 'forced' to spam units, now?

Scarabs seem great. I highly doubt 30 of them will be necessary, however. There are so many other goodies in the codex.

And mech-spam? Really?
Necrons don't have cheap vehicles. And there doesn't appear to be much point in spamming them...

Overall, Necron infantry is more durable now. This army probably has the most durable infantry in the game.
What need will they have to hide in transports?

Heck, the Ghost Ark seems like it will really shine while providing mobile fire/resurrection support to Warriors, rather than having Warriors hide in it (though they can shoot out of it thanks to open-topped)

Night Scythes are cool, certainly, and spamming them seems like it could produce good results...but that hardly jumps out as the only viable option in the codex. Far from it. In fact, I'm having a lot of trouble finding straight-up 'dud' units in the book, myself...and that seems to be the general consensus most places I look, too, so I know I'm not completely delusional.

I have a very hard time believing you only Phased Out once in 90 games, for the record. And I can't fathom how you think the (overally, pretty minor) nerfs that some of the old units got is unjustified in the face of Phase Out being gone and significant point reductions pretty much across the board. Then again, some people are impossible to please...

HuskArchon
11-06-2011, 03:01 AM
So is no one going to bring up the fact that the Special Character who was supposed to allow one to take Flayed Ones as troops wasn't added to the codex?

You'd think that with the slight hype that Valgul got in the codex, he'd be available. >_>

Kawauso
11-06-2011, 03:11 AM
I was a little disappointed not only with that, but that there's no FOC swapping in the 'dex at all.

:( Really sad.

That being said, it still looks like there's a ton of flexibility in the book - just not much going on in Troops, unfortunately. But at least there's a choice there, now - that's pretty novel for Necrons. :P

Maelstorm
11-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Just 1 game in 90+: Following the "Fritz 40k" pdf on Necrons starting with my first game made phase out a non-issue in any game.

=========================

Interesting thought:
30 Scarabs for 90 wounds plus 9 Tomb Spyders making 27 wounds of new Scarabs every round wth an HQ to force night-fighting...

=========================

Deadlift
11-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Look everyone! Maelstrom is unhappy with Necrons! This is a completely new and unforeseeable event!

Yes the whinging is getting real old now.
Not having digested the whole codex yet, but having read a fair bit I am happy with it.
Nice new rules and units. The death ray weapon is looking nasty and although some of the old stuff has had rule changes which some call "nerfs" it's not all bad news, the rumoured destroyers becoming 1-3 which caused no end of crying was incorrect.
I always thought that a new codex was a way of improving an army with new rules and new models. Mat Ward has done just that. If all the old units had the same old rules but with the new stuff added then the balance would have been lost.
I would suggest playing a few games with the new codex 1st and maybe adding some new toys to our lists before we all start crying about the update.

Dominic
11-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm just a little bit annoyed that I can no longer buy Tomb Sypders, they appear to have been removed and I don't think the new wave of necrons will be for some time yet. :(

Maelstorm
11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Lucky enough to have them already

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/DSC01811.jpg

Maelstorm
11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
You sir are a shining example of a retard.

Compare the new immortal with the old necron warrior.
-1pts/model, +1s, -1ap

hell I fear the day tau get "nerfed" that hard. a s6 ap4 firearm bearing firewarrior for 9pts would be insane -.-

You sir, are inexcusably rude - I've sent your comment to the moderators.

It's called a "point of vew".

My point of view:
New Necron Warrior (reduced armour, reduced WBB) = Space Marine Scout with ZERO weapon options, Initiative 2, with an very overpriced transport = soft squishy troops in an open-topped transport racing to an objective where they will be swept and destroyed by any unit in the game.

New Necron Immortal (reduced toughness, reduced WBB, reduced effectiveness weapon) = a Space Marine with a grand total of 2 weapon options and Initiative 2. More Auto-swept troop choices!

Deadlift
11-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm just a little bit annoyed that I can no longer buy Tomb Sypders, they appear to have been removed and I don't think the new wave of necrons will be for some time yet. :(

I wouldn't worry to much, there's going to be a 2nd wave soon in the new year and with luck the new plastic tombspiders will be available. If the art work in the codex is anything to go by their going to be a vast improvement over old metal one. Being either plastic or finecast (I'm guessing plastic) much nicer toput together and paint too.

Deadlift
11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
You sir, are a rude prick.

It's called a "point of vew".

New Warrior (reduced armour, reduced WBB) = Space Marine Scout with ZERO weapon options, Initiative 2, with an very overpriced transport = soft squishy troops in an open-topped transport

New Immortal (reduced toughness, reduced WBB, reduced effectiveness weapon) = a Space Marine with a grand total of 2 weapon options and Initiative 2.

Gauss although the "standard" weapon of a warrior still glances anything on a 6 and rapid fire, not bad for 13 pts per warrior. for 520pts you could have 80 rapid fire shots that can take out any vehicle in the game. I'm happy with that.

lattd
11-06-2011, 10:51 AM
In reply to maelstrom: Over priced transport that can add troops every turn and shoot turn targets, something no other transport can do.

And how is RP a nerf on WBB when it works on everything?

Hive Mind
11-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I can't find the part of C: SM/BA/SW/DA/BT that gives Scouts and Marines what is effectively a 5+ invulnerable save. Someone help me out.

Subexarch
11-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Aren't scouts BS3?

Kawauso
11-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I can't find the part of C: SM/BA/SW/DA/BT that gives Scouts and Marines what is effectively a 5+ invulnerable save. Someone help me out.

Don't forget the part that lets their bolters auto-glance any vehicle in the game on a 6.
And the super-reliable leadership.
And the better BS/WS.
And access to dedicated transports.

Oh, and the fact most of their infantry units now have access to models that can take power weapons, etc. (which Scouts -can- do, yes), and tons of useful upgrades like defensive grenades (which Scouts -can't- do). And that their effective invulnerable save can be boosted to a 4+ by said models. :)

Yes, they will get swept in combat if they lose.
But I think some people are getting too hung up on the army-wide initiative 2. Were Necrons any more likely to survive combat before? No? Well then it shouldn't take much adjusting, especially if one can claim to have a 1/90 Phase Out record.

Necrons in general suck at combat. They sucked at it before though, too. They want to be in 24-12" and shoot the crap out of things. They need to use movement and firepower to ensure that any combat units that -do- reach their front lines are reduced enough in size that they pose little threat to anything. It's not really different from what they had to do before, except now they're better at it, and can take more models, and the models they take can take more punishment.

Brass Scorpion
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
new necrons codex
ask a guy who got the new necrons codex anything?Why would someone want to spend a ton of their free time answering dozens of questions for a bunch of strangers just three days before the book is released when people can easily find out for themselves in just a few days if they weren't so impatient or lazy? The time could instead be spent doing something better or more useful (and anything would be), like chores, running errands (e.g., grocery shopping), working, building and painting models, watching a movie, visiting a museum, reading a book...

DrLove42
11-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Can people stop complaingin "OMG my transports are open topped whatevr will I do!"

Its AV13.

Shut up, and play with a raider for a minute.

The Twilight Fade
11-07-2011, 05:22 AM
AND don't forget you can now take the RP roll BEFORE you get charged so any crons that die in the shooting phase can take their resurrection roll before the charge happens which means you have more bodies to help survive the combat

Kawauso
11-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Can people stop complaingin "OMG my transports are open topped whatevr will I do!"

Its AV13.

Shut up, and play with a raider for a minute.

Also, only one of the transports is open-topped.

The Night Scythe flier is not. It is, however, AV11 all around with no Quantum Shielding.

So in summation, Necron vehicles are either a flier of some sort, and AV11 all around with no defensive bonuses, or they are AV11, open-topped, but count as AV13 for a while, or they are the Monolith.

In short Necron vehicles are either tough as nails or really fast, fragile and dangerous.

I like the options available there. :)

Malachi
11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Simply comparing stat-lines in not a good basis for deciding whether something is "good" or not. There are lots of "ins and outs" of a codex that are not readily apparent just from the stat-lines.

Just by stat lines, a BA Assault Marine is no better than the regular one. But now we know that "everyone" takes Sang Priests so BA Assault Marines "effectively" have FNP and Furious Charge "all the time."

There's going to be lots of things like that: not readily apparent by simply looking at stat lines.

Maelstorm
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The new Triarch Stalker is (Necron baby carrier) is open topped as well. 150 points, Strength 7, initiative 2, no dedicated close combat weapons.

Maelstorm
11-07-2011, 11:23 AM
A couple of the new Necron weapons require a Strength roll by the opponent - is that on 1d6 or 2d6?

Kawauso
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
The new Triarch Stalker is (Necron baby carrier) is open topped as well. 150 points, Strength 7, initiative 2, no dedicated close combat weapons.

Not a transport, though.

And it falls under the category of 'tough' - it's going to be armour 13 at the start of the game.

Kawauso
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
A couple of the new Necron weapons require a Strength roll by the opponent - is that on 1d6 or 2d6?

Which weapons are you referring to?

Do you mean a Strength test? If it's an characteristic test it works like...well, any other characteristic test. You have to roll 1D6 and get equal to or under your Strength characteristic. 6's are an auto-fail, 1's are auto-pass. If you have to take a test with a characteristic which has a score of 0, you auto-fail.

Brass Scorpion
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Lots of disdain for the new Necron lore in this video review and much time spent on it. I don't think Star Trek fans went as crazy when the producers humanized The Borg. Kind of fun watching middle-aged guys have a meltdown over "fluff". Kind of a shame, it's a cool new Codex with lots more character and options than before. Get over it, move on "fanboys".

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/new-necron-codex-first-look/

Malachi
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
AND don't forget you can now take the RP roll BEFORE you get charged so any crons that die in the shooting phase can take their resurrection roll before the charge happens which means you have more bodies to help survive the combat

Yes, this is key to keep in mind. Reanimation happens after every phase. The more I think about it, the better it gets (in my mind). This is a 5+ (or 4+) per model, not per wound as FNP is. Think about it. With FNP, the "standard" answer is to torrent a ton of fire into the unit. If you can stack 2 or 3 FNP saves on each model they're bound to fail one of them, and then it dies. With Necron Reanimation, it doesn't matter how many Wounds they took to make them "fall down" - they still get the same odds to stand back up. They'll stand back up at the end of Shooting before you Assault the unit, then at the end of Assault if you haven't wiped them out (say you have a bad round) a bunch are going to get back up again. Necrons are going to win the attrition war, and they are going to be nasty in close range.

Kawauso
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Lots of disdain for the new Necron lore in this video review and much time spent on it. I don't think Star Trek fans went as crazy when the producers humanized The Borg. Kind of fun watching middle-aged guys have a meltdown over "fluff". Kind of a shame, it's a cool new Codex with lots more character and options than before. Get over it, move on "fanboys".

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/new-necron-codex-first-look/

I really don't get the disdain for the new Necron lore...

Necrons are my first army. I liked the old fluff well enough, but the new stuff is leaps and bounds better.

Trazyn the Infinite is my favourite character in 40k now. His letter to Inquisitor Valeria in his codex entry is awesome.

To each their own, I guess.

Trignama
11-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Finally got the book yesterday....

First off the fluff is a thousand times better now than it was in the old codex, IMO anyway.

Second the Necrons really look like they can do very well as a infantry heavy / horde kinda list without the need for heavy mechanization.

And did you guys see that walker vehicle! Anything it hits and the rest of ur army becomes twin-linked against it?!?! How awesome is that!

eldargal
11-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Agreed, except for Trazynm but he mhas made my top ten. Iin fact I'm thinking of scrapping my lady-Necron idea in favour of a display army based around Trazyn.

Now if we could just get an Inquisitor Valeria model.:rolleyes:

Necrons are my first army. I liked the old fluff well enough, but the new stuff is leaps and bounds better.

Trazyn the Infinite is my favourite character in 40k now. His letter to Inquisitor Valeria in his codex entry is awesome.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-08-2011, 10:56 AM
It's a pretty radical change - the 3rd edition codex was a love it or hate it codex. Personally, I loved it. I like a lot of the stuff in the new one too - I don't really think either is better or worse - it's just a very different feel. It definitly depends on subjective taste.

One thing to note is that theres now a missing niche in 40k for the unknowable horror type force, and that is quite interesting in itself - and tbh necrons deserved to be a "full army", but the unknowable horror niche would be perfect for a fringe-faction....guess ill have to finish those sculpts soon.

Demonus
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Read the codex. Not as pleased as I was when I was reading all the Rumors hype.

Most of the special characters won't be used. Some of the better models (wraiths, spyders, doomscythes) have no model, so they cant be used for 3+ months. Monoliths suck and Ill be smiling when I read all the "I cant believe how fast my monoliths die now" threads in a month.

Still purchased quite a bit of the newer units for some variety and still plan to play Necrons as my "main" of 5 armies for a bit, to see how they fare.

Don't care if you agree with my opinion of the codex. Im betting most of the supporters in this thread don't even play necrons. Maelstrom was spot on with his assessment. Phase out traded for a nerf to a good number of things.

Yes we got some great new units (lychgard, royal courts, deathmarks), some were made MOSTLY better (ie Wraiths) and CTan were moved to Elite. However the Ctan even with a hefty discounted price dont seem to be much bang for your buck. Gone are all the special abilities they had (only a few of the new ones are worth the points, and some you cant even access).

Oh well, if the rest of the codices are tuned down like this for 6th edition I suppose all will be ok.

Kawauso
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
It's a pretty radical change - the 3rd edition codex was a love it or hate it codex. Personally, I loved it. I like a lot of the stuff in the new one too - I don't really think either is better or worse - it's just a very different feel. It definitly depends on subjective taste.

One thing to note is that theres now a missing niche in 40k for the unknowable horror type force, and that is quite interesting in itself - and tbh necrons deserved to be a "full army", but the unknowable horror niche would be perfect for a fringe-faction....guess ill have to finish those sculpts soon.

Aren't Tyranids the unknowable horror? Necrons were sort of sharing that space with them before.

Tyranids are the most divergent life forms in 40k (being from beyond the galaxy), which, when combined with the Hive Mind, makes them unknowable. And they're just as Lovecraftian as the old Necron fluff was, really.

Personally, having read the new Necron fluff, I'm glad that Necrons have ceded that space to 'Nids in favour of becoming something 40k didn't quite have before - the classy, sometimes honourable evil guys.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Aren't Tyranids the unknowable horror? Necrons were sort of sharing that space with them before.

Tyranids are the most divergent life forms in 40k (being from beyond the galaxy), which, when combined with the Hive Mind, makes them unknowable. And they're just as Lovecraftian as the old Necron fluff was, really.

Personally, having read the new Necron fluff, I'm glad that Necrons have ceded that space to 'Nids in favour of becoming something 40k didn't quite have before - the classy, sometimes honourable evil guys.

I see your POV but don't really personally share it, not that I'm saying either us are right or wrong however as I strongly believe it's a very subjective thing. Personally I find theres still too much known of the tyranids to make them an unknowable threat, plus they are more like mindless insects for the most part. I find the races with no models and little backround to operate the unknowable-horror niche much better.

The new necrons are growing on me, and I agree with you on your points about those. But it's still a huge change, some like me will probably get used to it and end up loving it (I already am!) while others will stubbornly refuse to give it a chance, which I also think is fair enough.

I guess for me, It's a bit 50/50 as I enjoyed necrons as the stargate styled raiders back in 2nd ed, and theres a lot of that influence that's come back. On the other hand I really dug the techno-horror approach of the 3rd ed ones which I saw as like an amalgamation of 1960's cybermen (pariahs especially), terminators (like from the first movie) and a bit of lovecraftian horror (wraiths, flayed ones, monoliths and c'tan). I think that side could of easily been kept however if there was a way to do pure Canoptek armies (which would of ironically also catered for those that still wanted pure robots) - that's the one of only 2 things I actually dislike about the codex, personally, the other being the loss of Pariahs in the fluff.

Maelstorm
11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I stopped by Slipwing"s blog to read up on his first 2 games with the new Necrons:

http://wh40kdaemons.blogspot.com/2011/11/first-games-with-new-necron-codex.html

In a nutshell - beaten so badly it wasn't worth writing up... Not a very good start to the new codex.

Kawauso
11-08-2011, 03:12 PM
All this says is that the new codex doesn't play exactly like the old codex.

This is not a sign that it is a bad codex. All evidence points to the contrary.

Gir
11-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I stopped by Slipwing"s blog to read up on his first 2 games with the new Necrons:

In a nutshell - beaten so badly it wasn't worth writing up... Not a very good start to the new codex.

A Random guy from the internet lost 2 games in a row with a force based on the old codex? THIS IS THE WORST BOOK THAT HAS EVER BEEN WRITTEN!

Malachi
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM

His conclusion is "new codex can't be played like the old codex." Hadn't we all figured that out already?

MajorWesJanson
11-08-2011, 05:15 PM

I agree. Trayzn seems to have a crush on her. That letter is awesome.
Are Trayzn and Valeria the Romeo and Juliet of 40K? Or does that title still belong to LIIVI/Taldeer?