PDA

View Full Version : Bronze (Blood) Angels - 1950 pts - What to do with the remaining points?

Kawauso
10-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Alright, so I'm planning (when I can afford it) to expand my counts-as Blood Angels army a little. Specifically, I'm planning to expand it in a way that better enables it to deal with Grey Knights (a regular nemesis of mine) and other armies/builds that pose a potential problem for my all-jumper army.

Here's what I'm sitting on right now. The problem is I have 50 points to spare for a 2000-point list and no clue what exactly to do with them.

Please refrain from offering suggestions that include altering my army's makeup too drastically/buying or converting many more models. I'm still a few kits away (1 speeder, 5 ASM) from making this particular build work as-is, and I think it presents a pretty good option given the restrictions this particular army has.

That is to say I play this army as an all-jumper/rapid insertion strike force. I have a total of 4 Marine armies and I play the BA codex for a fast, mobile jumper force...and I want to keep to that as much as I can. The fluff for my personal chapter (the Bronze Angels) also dictates that they are a fleet-based chapter that primarily utilizes lightning-fast hit-and run tactics...and I like reflecting this in my army as much as possible. To that end, with the exception of Scouts (whom I imagine sneaking into place to gather intel while the main force mobilizes), I would like to keep this army entire jumpers/units that can fly on their own or else hitch a ride on a Stormraven.

I know that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle-room...but I'm not looking for an ultra-competitive list here. Just something that's fun and won't keel over when my buddy's GK so much as look at it (it's still going to be hard-fought, I know).

Without further ado...

---

LIST

HQ:
Librarian w/ Jump Pack, Blood Lance/Fear the Darkness & Shield of Sanguinius - 125

ELITES:
Furioso Dreadnought w/ Meltagun & Heavy Flamer - 135

2x Sanguinary Priests w/ Jump Packs - 150

TROOPS:
5x Scouts w/ Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher - 100

5x Scouts w/ Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher - 100

5x Assault Marines w/ Flamer, Sgt. Hand Flamer/Power Weapon - 130

10x Assault Marines w/ 2x Meltagun, Sgt. Power Fist - 235

10x Assault Marines w/ 2x Meltagun, Sgt. Infernus Pistol - 225

FAST ATTACK:
Land Speeder w/ Heavy Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher - 90

HEAVY SUPPORT
Stormraven Gunship w/ Typhoon Missile Launcher, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Extra Armour - 240

Stormraven Gunship w/ Typhoon Missile Launcher, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Extra Armour - 240

Total clocks in at 1950...and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what to do with those last 50 points!

---

Just to make sure it's clear - the amount of missiles this army can put out (up to 20 in one turn) is pretty crucial to my early-game plan. The low model count of this army means that it can't afford to take many losses...which normally isn't a problem except GK have an abundance of S8 shots and power weapons available.

So the early-game plan here is to knock out Psyfledreads/Transports at all costs from a distance, forcing GK to hoof it without any long-range support so that I can use my superior mobility to dictate the rest of the battle, and pick and choose combats that are advantageous for me.

I know this is all a bit wall-of-text...sorry, I have a tendency to ramble or over-explain things. But with all of this in mind...anyone have any ideas for the finishing touches on this list?

Wolfshade
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
My immediate response would be to group two of the speeders together and take an attack bike, but that wouldn't fit in with the theme.
Looking at it it seems like the only solution would be to increase the squad size (I don't have my dex with me) but if you can push up the squad size to 9 then you'l have to take 3 wounds before taking a moral test for 25% casualties.
Giving the sarges melta bombs would also help deal with any vehicles that get too near (ideally though the enemy is never near your scouts)

Sanguineone
10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Magna grapple for the furioso in case the melta doesnt score a vehicle kill, also you can fire it at troops for AP2 goodness. You don't even have to glue the sucker on as it fits snug.
Locator beacon for your scouts to bring in the jump troops/Storm Ravens.
That leaves you with the points to give two marines melta bombs.
I also noticed that you gave your Librarian 3 powers, only Mephiston can do this. I would go for one shooting and the sheild as because the latter is in opponents turn you don't have to upgrade to Episolary however you would miss out on Force sword kills when you use both.
I named my Storm Ravens the Blackbird and Serenity.....sad I know.

sangrail777
10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Gotta agree with Sanguineone, sounds like a good plan for the points availiable.
Either that or throw a Sanguine priest (naked) in with the scouts.

Sanguineone
10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
''Indeed we are the Angels of Death''

...........and we will fight anything....even (naked) because of feel no pain.

Kawauso
10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the input, people!

A bit of clarification on the libby; he doesn't have 3 powers. Rather I can't quite decide whether I prefer Blood Lance of Fear of the Darkness, so it's either one of those and Shield of Sanguinius for sure as the powers he takes.

I'm not worried about activating his force weapon, ever, because if he gets into combat with GK it's very likely he's just going to die...if he's in combat with any model that has multiple wounds to begin with in the GK army, he's toast.

Anyway, the Magna Grapple is pretty neat...I love the Furioso kit. I didn't glue any of the options in place so they all pop on/off quite handily. :)

Not sure about locator beacons...2 of them would eat up 50 points, sure, but I just don't know about deep striking my ravens - I need them as early as possible to help knock out Psyfledreads (and then light transports) because those things are a living nightmare for this army.
I like that they can potentially hang back outside of autocannon range and still use their bloodstrike missiles. Also when sticking together with the libby in one of them, they can easily get a 5+ cover save, or else move flat out for a better one.
If I were to reserve them I think I'd probably just have them come in from my table edge as their weapons will still be able to reach pretty much anywhere.

As for Assault Squads using the beacons, well...I don't know that they scouts are going to take enough heat ever that it would be worthwhile...and 1D6 scatter is pretty reliable anyhow. I need to get them close enough for their meltas to be effective on any armour that's still a hassle, too.

So...not entirely sold on the beacons.

What're people's thoughts on kitting out the sergeants of my melta squads with power fists and infernus pistols, each?

I know this is a bit pricey (the sarge becomes a 68 pt. model and the squad goes up to 250), but it adds a lot of oomph to those individual units...

One of those units is assembled and basecoated, but unpainted, so it's easy enough to yank the bolt pistol off and replace it with an infernus...

Also, kitting out those two squads that way and adding a meltabomb to the sarge on the flamer unit would put me up to 1995, which is a lot better than being stuck at 1950.

Sanguineone
10-26-2011, 03:01 PM
I have the Infernus Powerfist Sarge and oh yes it lets you have two melta in the squad without it being 10 men.
I almost made an addition after I made my post but re thought as you just asked for point fillers and weren't really asking tactics..........buuuuuuuut since you mentioned it........
Goatboy was right about deploying the SR at the board edge for an Alpha Strike, it works wonders. However I would consider keeping one in reserve. If you had the points I would have suggested putting a Locator on one of your SR however this is a more even spread for the options you have available.
The suggestions all add up in total points wise for 50 man so I actually meant only one Locator Beacon in one of your 2 scout squads ( I gather that you get in trouble for posting too many points from the codex). Sooooooooo it leaves them guessing which squad has it ;-)
Psychic powers................Hmmmmmmm....
You are already anti mech with all the melta and the las, melta as a substitute for lance. So I would go for the FEAR!
You turn up for a fight and they run away.
Is your Librarian in the SR with the 5 man squad? If so the Sheild works wonders measuring from the hull.
Locator beacon is cheaper for the SR so if you want your deepstriked SR to benefit from the Sheild of the Librarian you can put it anywher you want within 6''.
Soooooooo if you don't take the melta bombs as really they were just using up the points you will have 20 points left.
You have loads of options for 50 points!

Sanguineone
10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
As a side note man, if you and your Grey Knights friend ever get together against a good Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemon army combo I'd love to hear about that. Ka'Bandha! You Killed My Teacher!

Tynskel
10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
thought about dropping a land speeder and replacing it with a devastator squad with missile launchers?

Kawauso
10-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I would, but I can't really justify devastator units with the theme of my army.

Scouts I have no trouble imagining doing recon and setting up before the main assault...but I want all of my Marine units in the army to be highly mobile to reflect my chapter's preference for aerial assaults and hit-and-run warfare. So they all either have jump packs or start in a Stormraven (like the dread).

Additionally (though this is going a little off-topic), in the fluff I've created for my chapter, they don't have access to any suits of tactical dreadnought armour - so my army doesn't employ any terminators, either.

I think those last 50 points are going to go into the sergeants in my melta squads. One is going to take a fist and infernus pistol, and the other is going to take a hammer and infernus pistol. Pricey upgrades for those squads, sure, but those models will look pretty cool, at least!

Oh, that would put me at 1995. The last 5 points will give the sarge in the small flamer squad a meltabomb. :)