PDA

View Full Version : The Outcast Dead

Jmaximum
10-22-2011, 02:44 PM
So i just bought he book, havent even cracked the cover open, and I am completely clueless about who the characters on the cover are or representations of.
I am taking a wild guess that the huge guy on the right in purple helmet and shoulder pads is a *GASP* Thunder Warrior.But the rest i have no idea.

Was hoping someone with stronger 40K Fluff-fu than I could shed some enlightenment on the subject.

Deadlift
10-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Lol just enjoy the book mate, I have read it and really enjoyed those characters you see on the cover, not going to spoil it for anyone else. Ask yourself do those big hulking guys on the cover look abnormally large and theres your answer. What will surprise you though is their background and it will turn your view of certain chapters (legions) on it's head. Enjoy :)

isotope99
10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
The little guy is the astropath. The thunder warriors do make an appearance (not saying more) but I'm not convinced that they are depicted on the cover.

What I would say is keep reading, even if you find the first bit a little slow, as the book gets way better around the halfway point when the Outcast dead really start to get story time.

david5th
10-23-2011, 02:46 AM
One of the best HH books so far. The "big secret" was a bit of a letdown for me. Thunder warriors are involved but i don't want to spoil anything.

Jmaximum
10-23-2011, 07:20 AM
LOL thanks all. Now I REALLY have to finish up Battle of the Fang and start in on Outcast Dead

Jmaximum
11-05-2011, 07:43 AM
sorry for posting my own reply, but I have a lot of questions about Outcast Dead.
Still not done with the book, maybe about 2/3's of the way through.
The tone of the book makes it sound like not all traitors on Horus's side are known as of yet. And Artharva has been imprisoned prior to the sanction of the Thousand Sons.
So what is up The Crusader Host being hunted down and imprisoned before all of this is known? I could see the Luna Wolf being shackled up, but not the others. And why are they called the Crusader Host when there's only 7 of them.
Also, I am having a hard time with the Lectitio Divinatus running rampant in the Emperor's backyard in the Petitioner'd City. And a place called a TEMPLE being allowed to exist, after the awesome story of 'The Last Church'.
I did enjoy the story of the dwarf who masqueraded as a Custodes in order to escape Kumba Wumba (or whatever the name is for the Vault). I wonder if that was an allusion to Squats?
And how could the Custodes be so naive NOT to shield a powerful pysker like Artharva in his prison?

So, that's where I am at right now, where the Null Hunter has gone to meet with the Choir Master (beginning of chapter 15). I do hope the book starts tying into the timeline better, and has a plethora of explanations waiting in later chapters.

wittdooley
11-05-2011, 12:36 PM
My assumption is that, once the news of Horus' treachery was found out, that all the astartes were imprisoned because they couldn't be sure which legions would turn. Presumably that's why atharva mentions the ones they didn't break out; you know guys in chapters atharva assumed would stay loyal. That's all conjecture tho.

Jmaximum
01-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Just finished the book, and I must saying that ending left me kinda empty and felt rather lacking.
Who knew a psyker could just relinquish their psychic gift ona whim? WTF was in the faceless angel statue (seems like a demon to me; would'nt the emperor have been aware of a demonic presence THAT FRIKKING CLOSE to the palace?)

newtoncain
01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
good book in the series. 3.5/5 stars.