PDA

View Full Version : Skorne

Prometheus
09-10-2009, 01:43 AM
So I am new to HORDES (my roomate got me into it) and I pickerd up a Skorne starter set and a Void Spirit solo. I would like to know what you guys would add to the army to help me get to more points. I really like the Cyclops Beasts and I also feel I would like running Morghoul with more Beasts as opose to units, but I am open to suggestions.

I play mainly against a Circle of Orbos, Protectorate of Menoth, Cygnar. I occasionaly play against a Khador, but not often.

It should be noted that I have yet to lose in one-on-one and I have but one lose in 3+ games. But we have been playing small points games and I have am the only one without enough models to go bigger.

GentleBen
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
If you like beasts then the first thing you need are some pain givers. These guys go a long way to helping you get even more out of your beasts. A cannonneer and an extoller are a good next step. After that Praetorians are considered good first unit choice, but the venators are also nice, especially if you do get an extoller to help your cannonneer. You will also probably want to get a Krea. Finally Molik Karn is a good choice for a third heavy beast. The Privateer Press website has a very active forum community and someone there has recently posted a very similar thread to this one. Trollbllods are my regular Hordes army so the odds are good the guys in the Skorne forums will have better advice.

http://www.privateerpressforums.com/index.php?showtopic=186216

zebulon
09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Also, another place to go and get some good information about Skorne as well as what your opponents can do is Battle College (http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/).

relasine
09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
So I am new to HORDES (my roomate got me into it) and I pickerd up a Skorne starter set and a Void Spirit solo. I would like to know what you guys would add to the army to help me get to more points. I really like the Cyclops Beasts and I also feel I would like running Morghoul with more Beasts as opose to units, but I am open to suggestions.

Welcome to the game, brother.

If you're looking to purely expand what you have, I'd suggest a few things:

1. Paingiver Beast Handlers - These will take the beasts you have and make them better. Enrage will increase their effective threat range by 2" (stacks great with Morghoul's Abuse) and give them an additional +2 STR for more damage (works great on slamming Titans). Medicate will keep them on the field longer and won't require Morghol to use his precious little Fury to keep them healthy. They also have the added ability to help manage the Fury on your beasts, decreasing the chance of causing a frenzy.

2. Extoller Soulward - This solo allows a single model/unit to ignore pretty much every line of sight rule in the game. While your starter has -zero- shooting in it, you'll probably want to be adding some soon. It also comes in handy for negating enemy smoke effects when looking to charge your beasts into his lines.

3. Praetorian Swordsmen - They're a cheap, effective melee unit that fit well with most any army.

4. Titan Cannoneer - Has a great ranged attack, synergizes incredibly well with the Soulward, and can Slam for crazy damage with Enrage.

5. Praetorian Ferox - A fast-moving, beatstick-of-a-unit that is resilient and incredibly hard to tie down thanks to their leap ability. A little hard on the wallet, but they go the distance. Add Tyrant Rhadeim for more cavalry hurtiness.

Hope that helps.

Faultie
09-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the game, brother.

If you're looking to purely expand what you have, I'd suggest a few things:

1. Paingiver Beast Handlers - These will take the beasts you have and make them better. Enrage will increase their effective threat range by 2" (stacks great with Morghoul's Abuse) and give them an additional +2 STR for more damage (works great on slamming Titans). Medicate will keep them on the field longer and won't require Morghol to use his precious little Fury to keep them healthy. They also have the added ability to help manage the Fury on your beasts, decreasing the chance of causing a frenzy.

2. Extoller Soulward - This solo allows a single model/unit to ignore pretty much every line of sight rule in the game. While your starter has -zero- shooting in it, you'll probably want to be adding some soon. It also comes in handy for negating enemy smoke effects when looking to charge your beasts into his lines.

3. Praetorian Swordsmen - They're a cheap, effective melee unit that fit well with most any army.

4. Titan Cannoneer - Has a great ranged attack, synergizes incredibly well with the Soulward, and can Slam for crazy damage with Enrage.

5. Praetorian Ferox - A fast-moving, beatstick-of-a-unit that is resilient and incredibly hard to tie down thanks to their leap ability. A little hard on the wallet, but they go the distance. Add Tyrant Rhadeim for more cavalry hurtiness.

Hope that helps.

And you call yourself a Merc! The first thing you should've suggested is Epic Magnus, a Mangler, and a Renegade (or two)!

Prometheus
09-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Hope that helps.

I was thinkin g about getting all these guys. I also thought about more cyclops with the sheilds, but who knows.