PDA

View Full Version : New WFB terrain in Nov: Skullvane Manse

eldargal
10-19-2011, 06:44 AM
From BramGaunt on Warseer:

November White Dwarf will feature a HUGE new piece of terrain for WHFB:

The...

Skullvane Manse.

Its Huge. Huge like "look at the size of that thing!" it features an astronomy-tower and yes, it also has some huge skulls. I guess it's aproximatly as high as the mage tower, but it is at least three times as wide. You will like it.
I'll be in my bunk.

wittdooley
10-19-2011, 07:09 AM
So is this like the Dark Angels fortress for WHFB?

eldargal
10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Sounds like it, really excited.

addamsfamily36
10-19-2011, 08:07 AM
i don't want to sound dull and down on this, but *Yawn*

I loved the garden of morr (graveyard set), but i am getting tiered of, empire or chaos temple related terrain.

Give me some elf terrain, tomb kings terrain, dwarf terrain, anything just not more bland empire buildings or terrain pieces with skulls.

Sorry guys. having a bad day.

Rinion
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Thats like asking for non-Imperial 40k terrain, you understand? =P

wittdooley
10-19-2011, 11:24 AM

I loved the garden of morr (graveyard set), but i am getting tiered of, empire or chaos temple related terrain.

Give me some elf terrain, tomb kings terrain, dwarf terrain, anything just not more bland empire buildings or terrain pieces with skulls.

You don't want any GW high elf terrain anyways. You want the GF9 pre-painted stuff. It's duh bomb.

Wildeybeast
10-19-2011, 11:30 AM

You dont want HE and D secenery. Have you seen the Dwarf and High elf terrain that GW has made in the studio? It consists of pointy white towers and mining carts. Those races have some booooring architecture. The Empire make cool buildings. I admit TK stuff would be good though

Grovel
10-19-2011, 07:52 PM

You realize that you're asking for Tomb Kings terrain and saying you don't want terrain with skulls in the same sentence?

addamsfamily36
10-19-2011, 08:04 PM
You dont want HE and D secenery. Have you seen the Dwarf and High elf terrain that GW has made in the studio? It consists of pointy white towers and mining carts. Those races have some booooring architecture. The Empire make cool buildings. I admit TK stuff would be good though

Right, im not as moody as i was earlier today lol.

I agree that the studio stuff GW makes except maybe one or two high elf pieces, is lacking, but thats mainly due to the difficulty of making curved tapering towers. If they put some propper plastic kits into it though, the high elf terrain they could produce would be loverly, note:

High elf chariot (for railings etc)
High elf dragon with crumbling waystone/elf monument.

Tomg kings terrain would be awesome! statues, pilars etc etc

Dwarves also. proper dwarf terrain would look awesome. like a fortification of some king or a mining yard
with carts and mechanical winches and stuff.

I mean the empire stuff is nice, and i liked the garden of morr and this observatory sounds interesting, but i do get bored of seeing the same looking tables. i;d make my own but terrain making is one area of the hobby i suck at.

You don't want any GW high elf terrain anyways. You want the GF9 pre-painted stuff. It's duh bomb.

Yeh its pretty awesome sauce.

Thats like asking for non-Imperial 40k terrain, you understand? =P

we can all dream of eldar terrain. one day. one day....

addamsfamily36
10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
You realize that you're asking for Tomb Kings terrain and saying you don't want terrain with skulls in the same sentence?

Considering tomb kings were once not undead, a large part of the terrain in their homeland would most likely be more god orientated.

Statues of the jackal for instance. Pyramids. Collums etc etc.

Slug
10-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Woo, because I've always thought Warhammer didn't have enough skulls in the terrain.

eldargal
10-20-2011, 05:14 AM
http://images.wikia.com/warhammeronline/images/9/9a/Observatory.jpg

That's REALLY close to the actual building, minus the water, add some giant skulls under the tower.

I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't be more excited.

DrLove42
10-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Seriously? If it looks like that its win, majorly win.

Might have to get one and convert it..

eldargal
10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Gah ten days until pre-orders might go up! I'm really seeing the advantage in GWs new advance order policy, I wouldn't survive four weeks waiting for my order to ship if it is as fantastic as it might be.:(

Chronowraith
10-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Will definitely pick this up if it's even remotely close to the picture. I've been looking for a cool observatory type building.

addamsfamily36
10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Ok, if it looks like that, then i will gladly take back everything i said. I'll even point at myself and go "YOU FOOL!"

eldargal
10-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Price is going to be £45 apparently.

eldargal
10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Via Bauhaus86 on Warseer:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120744&d=1319207077
So, so buying that.

Wildeybeast
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh wow. Just wow.

Slug
10-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Oo very nice, I still think I would whack the skulls off if I do pick this up though.

eldargal
10-21-2011, 11:31 PM
This can't be released soon enough as far as I'm concerned. I like the fact it looks like it canl be broken down into its constituent parts, observatory, house, bridge, rock. Bit of mixing with other kits, some scratchbuilding and I could see some really impressive buildings come out of this.

End of the World
10-22-2011, 11:28 AM
That thing looks *hilarious*.

AND THE NAME! AMAZING!

I really can't tell if GW thinks skullz is a legit aesthetic and they are real serious about it or if this is actually a joke about the number of skulls on their products.

Verilance
10-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I really can't tell if GW thinks skullz is a legit aesthetic and they are real serious about it or if this is actually a joke about the number of skulls on their products.

Both are true I think!!

addamsfamily36
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Addamsfamily, points at addamsfamily "YOU FOOL"

eldargal
10-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Can we please not have the usual whine about skulls, it is tedious enough on Warseer without having it here too. It is an Empire building, so it will have skulls. End of story.

Denzark
10-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Looking in Oct White Dwarf, there is a mahoosive Siege WFB Game - I'm sure you can see the observatory peeking out in the background.

Personally I see this and start thinking of defence lasers...

Wildeybeast
10-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Can we please not have the usual whine about skulls, it is tedious enough on Warseer without having it here too. It is an Empire building, so it will have skulls. End of story.

Skulls are a legitmate motif for about half the armies in the game, so I don't know why people want to moan about them.

eldargal
10-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Exactly. High Elves, Wood Elves, Bretonnians and Dwarves all have few to no skulls. Lizardmen have lot of lizard skulls but not many human skulls. The other races have varying amounts. The Empire, a gothic medieval society under constant thread of death have the symbols of death as an integral part of their aesthetic. Whining about it is just silly. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some skull-less Elven buildings or something myself, but that doesn't mean I'm going to complaing about an Empire building having skulls anymore than I would a Dark Elf building having spiky bits.

isotope99
10-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I like, and if you really want fewer skulls it looks fairly easy to make the tower half size and get rid of the main ones.

I'm not a huge fan of them always doing empire kits but it does dramatically increase the kitbashing possibilities once you add together the various kits.

40K is starting to feel left out of the scenery race :(.

Thornblood
10-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I for one think there is still room for more skulls in the wood elf range. Very plausible.

Really nice pieces, not sure if they work together very well as a single terrain piece- but yes the kitbashing options would be immense.

Maybe before a Wood Elf release they could have a slightly more Brettonian building that can be built as a ruin being reclaimed by the forest, or a whole building. It would probably stretch the the empire too....

Grailkeeper
10-23-2011, 09:50 AM
His home must be mostly stairs. Rather cramped I'd imagine, especially if Mrs Astromancer has friends over.

End of the World
10-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Can we please not have the usual whine about skulls, it is tedious enough on Warseer without having it here too. It is a GW product, so it will have skulls. End of story.

fixed that for you

Jive Tyrant
10-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Oo very nice, I still think I would whack the skulls off if I do pick this up though.

If you like skulls, it's the perfect thing to whack off to.

Oh, wait, I misread your post.

wittdooley
10-23-2011, 11:30 AM
fixed that for you

Wow. You are so very clever and so very cool. You wake up every morning asking yourself, "How can I be both clever AND cool today," don't you?

BuFFo
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
The skulls on this product are entirely out of place and cheapens the aesthetics of the tower overall.

4/10

Grovel
10-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Really unimpressed by this. The tower itself looks decent, but the rocks & observatory are a bit of a let down.

Too much Signmar, not enough fantasy... I don't mind skulls all over the place, but I can't understand why anything to do with Empire is automatically Signmar/Morr themed - there's a whole pantheon worshipped in the Empire, would be nice to at least have some optional extra's to represent them. Would also make it easier to convert the building to fit another faction.

magickbk
10-23-2011, 08:05 PM
I can't understand why anything to do with Empire is automatically Signmar/Morr themed - there's a whole pantheon worshipped in the Empire, would be nice to at least have some optional extra's to represent them. Would also make it easier to convert the building to fit another faction.

I think we're lucky to have this terrain available at all. It would be nice if it had some additional options, even going so far as to have options that would make it look Bretonnian and not just Empire. But back in the day GW made the Siege castle, and that was the only non-cardboard terrain they were producing. As someone who doesn't even have the time to assemble and paint my models to the level I want, I am glad this terrain is as straightforward as it is. I would rather they put any additional time into producing more kits that worked for a variety of armies as opposed to making more options for these. It's also nice to keep it as a single theme so that you can put them all on a board and have a themed table. For a while they were cranking out these vacuum-formed foam terrain pieces, one for each army. If you tossed them all on a table, it was like a schizophrenic landscape, with an Orc Village, Cemetary, Dwarf Stronghold, and ruined Chaos temple.

eldargal
10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
What an utterly moronic post.

fixed that for you

I'd like fewer skulls and less Empire terrain myself, but the fact is the Empire is one of the iconic WFB races and their terrain has skulls on it. You don't have to like it but whining about it (as opposed to reasoned criticism like Grovel and BuFFos posts) every time an Empire terrain piece is released just gets irritating.

AnEnemy
10-24-2011, 12:39 AM
The point stands that GW products have an excess of skulls.

GW had a "make and take" event at the last Games Day and I walked away with something cobbled together from whatever sprues I could fight for.

Oh, I've got skulls.

I'd venture fifty or more skulls featured on a sixteen inch tall crumbled structure.

Why accuse a stranger of "whining"? If they want to state the obvious then that's their prerogative. Did anyone complain when you kitgasmed originally?

We can all be cool, right? As cool as people talking about the aesthetic of a plastic wizard's tower can be.

eldargal
10-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Because not every GW range has skulls in it, and I don't approve of cretinous halfwits changing my quotes based on their own stupidity. Find the skulls on Eldar, Wood Elves, Bretonnians, Hifh Elves, Dwarves, Tau etc and I will conccede the point it is a GW thing rather than a specific army thing.

Wildeybeast
10-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Because not every GW range has skulls in it, and I don't approve of cretinous halfwits changing my quotes based on their own stupidity. Find the skulls on Eldar, Wood Elves, Bretonnians, Hifh Elves, Dwarves, Tau etc and I will conccede the point it is a GW thing rather than a specific army thing.

The only problem is that there isn't much of that scenery available, so people moan about them constantly releasing Chaos & Empire/Imperium stuff that has skulls all over it.
Of course, those people should either a) be grateful that GW makes them nice terrain to play with or b) not buy it and make their own exactly how they want it to look. Either way, moaning about skulls is pointless and annoying.

wittdooley
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Problem: I don't like Skulls.
Solution: Don't buy GW Terrain.

There are PLENTY of other options out there. Go ahead and buy Mantic's terrain kit, or Privateer's Terrain kit, or Infinity's terrain kit if you don't like the GW ones. Oh, wait? What? They don't make any? Well shyte on that idea.

But seriously, if you don't like the GW ones, go buy some of the Gale Force 9 pre-painted stuff. It's quite nice, pre-painted (because I"m sure many of you complaining are playing with plenty of grey plastic anyway), and generic enough to suit pretty much any game. I'll even give you a link:

www.gf9.com

Nancy whiners.

DrLove42
10-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Skulls are part of the ethos of the world. If the game was set in "Candyland" would you complain that all the buildings had candycanes builts into them?

Skulls are a relatable part of the grim dark that relates to both 40k and Fantasy. A reminder of the humanity of the situation and the futility of an age in constant war

OT of the terrain I rather like it. Might have to get one, and 40kify another piece of scenery

BDub
10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
This is an exciting new trend - GW using concept art form its video-game licenses to make new physical products.

eldargal
10-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Another picture, looks like the 'manse' part may be a bit more substantial than it looked:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121207&d=1319758057

eldargal
11-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Rear view:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=121442&d=1320182879
It does seem more substantial than the front view would indicate.

DrLove42
11-02-2011, 06:21 AM
I love the pint of milk on the doorstep. Pure class.

I can imagine the milkman chatting over the garden fence with the wizard....

Think i'l get one, and 40k ify it. It'd make a good observatory, or even a orbital laser position. Maybe want to see one in person first

Wildeybeast
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
That picture has to give the best view yet of just how substantial it it. I'm very impressed. I also like the idea that the Warhammer world has milkmen wandering around amid all the death and carnage.

billytwix
11-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Wow, the new image shows another 30% of the model! Im so getting this. Sadly i have many woods, hills, watchtowers, chapels, fences, graveyards, and wizard towers to paint. So whats one more rocky craigged observatory to add to the mix? Maybe if i paint my wichfate tor top level gold i could wear it to my local shop as a crown! Victory guaranteed.

eldargal
11-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Agreed, such a nice little touch which shows GW really haven't lost their sense of humour. I want to buy it already.:(

That picture has to give the best view yet of just how substantial it it. I'm very impressed. I also like the idea that the Warhammer world has milkmen wandering around amid all the death and carnage.

eldargal
11-04-2011, 12:31 AM
The Skullvane Manse will be on sale on the 19th, so pre-orders up on the 12th.

Nemesis
11-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Can't wait for this one!! Just in the final stages of my battle with Witchfate Tor, (and it's been a lonngg battle!). Skullvane looks like it will be a more 'normal' construction method thank God!!