PDA

View Full Version : New Necrons- Why This is Bad? + Pics

Kesher
10-14-2011, 03:36 PM
http://blog.spikeybits.com/2011/10/rumors-new-necrons-why-this-is-bad-pics.html

JxKxR
10-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Nope, not bad. I'm sorry you have to deal with a little chaos but not bad at all.

NEW NECRONS!!!! :eek:

Hive Mind
10-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Want some cheese with your whine?

DarkLink
10-14-2011, 06:33 PM
The whole point of a spoiler is to get people asking questions about the new product. And since I don't think this was intended by GW, it's not really reasonable to freak out that GW hasn't released more details.

The new models look good. For now, that's plenty reasonable.

eldargal
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
What a silly article.

MarneusCalgar
10-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Well, seems the author is an owner of an independant retailer and seems to be very angry...

But I think he is not foreseeing that in the next month his sales will be bigger with the new crons!!

Old_Paladin
10-15-2011, 08:01 AM
I just laugh at the hypocrisy of the title and the article.

"Leaks are the devil", P.S. We'll show you pictures of all the leaks!

DrLove42
10-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Well maybe it might work for the best, GW can wake up and realise they can't control leaks, and the internet wants them and go back to the old "Incoming!" format

The only real complaints i've seen are people complaining that they look different, and not the rank and file souless machines that they were. But we haven't seen Warriors yet, or a codex so things will just have to wait

eldargal
10-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Actually with Wayland denying any involvement in the leak I'm more inclined to believe this was official. There have been too many leaks ofhigh quality images just in time to build up before an announcement since this new policy was put into effect. TK, SoM, Ogres, and now Necrons.

UltramarineFan
10-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Well maybe it might work for the best, GW can wake up and realise they can't control leaks, and the internet wants them and go back to the old "Incoming!" format

Tbh this seemed very much like a controlled leak that GW has orchestrated a couple of weeks before the official release to build excitement. I get the impression of GW being absolutely able to control leaks.

Bigred
10-15-2011, 10:17 AM
The interesting thing about this wholesale collapse of GW's "tight information control" policy is it creates strong incentives for retailers to jump the gun.

Under the traditional marketing model, everyone from customers to retailers knows what's coming up in advance and can prepare their commercial and personal shopping habits accordingly.

Under the "BOO - new stuff!!!" model, whoever gets their hands on information early can use it to further themselves at the expense of other retailers who are left holding the bag.

The interesting thing about the link to the pre-order page Eldargal linked to is it includes prices which I have heard have not been released to retailers by GW yet.

Lockark
10-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Huh. I knew they wanted to fluff wise make the necrons more "tomb kings in space". But wasn't expecting the models to be that!

That being said. I like them.

I REALLY hope thows flayed-ones might be plastic.
@.@

Hive Mind
10-15-2011, 12:25 PM
The interesting thing about this wholesale collapse of GW's "tight information control" policy is it creates strong incentives for retailers to jump the gun.

Under the traditional marketing model, everyone from customers to retailers knows what's coming up in advance and can prepare their commercial and personal shopping habits accordingly.

Under the "BOO - new stuff!!!" model, whoever gets their hands on information early can use it to further themselves at the expense of other retailers who are left holding the bag.

Do you think GW's contracts with retailers don't include non-disclosure clauses?

Bigred
10-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Do you think GW's contracts with retailers don't include non-disclosure clauses?

I would assume they do, but that doesn't seem to have had any impact on eldargal's example...

eldargal
10-16-2011, 05:01 AM
I think Wayland is telling the truth when they said they didn't leak it. An NDA wouldn't factor into it.

I am almost certain GW intended for these pictures to be leaked even if they didn't do it themselves. Just like we got high quality pictures of so many other releases this year, just in time for them to build hype.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
10-16-2011, 05:21 AM
I agree, i think it's just another way GW is using for marketing to leak stuff like this so more people get to be interested, thus raising desire in there shiny new range, and then suddenly everyone wants Necrons.
Ofcourse GW will make a fuss and dismiss any idea of what your on about, while sipping Tea behind there oak desks and smiling smugly.
Be a good chap and believe everything now.

Unzuul the Lascivious
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I think it likely they'll announce tomorrow (Monday). Two weeks to go, coming out just after most people get paid and before the Xmas rush. Certainly they OUGHT to have a decent bulk of it out by December. Good, cos I want that Codex!

Uncle Nutsy
10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
and the countdown for bandwagoners begins.

MarneusCalgar
10-16-2011, 01:27 PM
I think it´s still GW´s experiment...

Even with their "SHHHHH" politics in communicating the new launches... All the people knew from before this happened that Necrons should be on sale at November...

So maybe they talked with Beasts of War (these guys have had also black boxes in the past, so who knows) and did an spread of the pics, to see people´s reactions

Gir
10-16-2011, 05:54 PM
I think it's a controlled leak simply because there's no picture of the codex (from the white dwarf).

beastsofwar
10-17-2011, 04:21 AM
Lots of allegations and misinformation running around regarding our handling of the Necron Leak, makes for interesting reading... however...

For those that are interested we’re running a LIVE show ( We call it Turn8 ) on Thursday Night 10pm BST (GMT+1) where we will be giving the inside story on this whole affair

We won’t be discussing our source but I’ll be happy to say who it wasn’t!

More info will be published here: http://www.beastsofwar.com

You can contact us on the show with questions etc by tweeting @beastsofwar

Hope the MODS don't mind us posting this, but this will give us the chance to set the record straight and give anyone whose interested a glimpse into how these leaks come about and are managed.

Thanks Folks for making Friday Night so exciting!

MarneusCalgar
10-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Lots of allegations and misinformation running around regarding our handling of the Necron Leak, makes for interesting reading... however...

For those that are interested we’re running a LIVE show ( We call it Turn8 ) on Thursday Night 10pm BST (GMT+1) where we will be giving the inside story on this whole affair

We won’t be discussing our source but I’ll be happy to say who it wasn’t!

More info will be published here: http://www.beastsofwar.com

You can contact us on the show with questions etc by tweeting @beastsofwar

Hope the MODS don't mind us posting this, but this will give us the chance to set the record straight and give anyone whose interested a glimpse into how these leaks come about and are managed.

Thanks Folks for making Friday Night so exciting!

Nice to see you here boys!!

Unzuul the Lascivious
10-18-2011, 03:13 AM
I always find it really funny when someone pops up saying, 'Oh here goes the bandwagoners', like being excited about starting a new army with new products somehow makes those people inferior or somehow less valid a gamer/person!

wittdooley
10-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I know right? Especially when it is quite possibly the easiest army to paint in all of 40k or WHFB.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
I'll probably start a 6th necron army...lets see, I have my void-dragon necrons, 2nd ed necrons, terracotta/chinese style necrons, mecha-cthulhu/wraith wing army and samurai style ones..not sure what to do for #6, tempted to do a female styled lord though.

Kawauso
10-18-2011, 12:19 PM
If you don't mind my asking - how would you 'feminize' a Necron lord? They're skeletons...the only way to tell sex by a skeleton is through analyzing things like the brow, ribcage, pelvis, etc.

They don't have any overt secondary sex characteristics that would show up on a 28mm model.

It's just that I've seen a couple of posts where people have had a similar idea now, and I can't help but think there's not really any way to show sex/gender on Necrons any more than there is on Tomb Kings - actually, wait, it's easier for TK, because they have that one model that looks female because she's still got her bandages/etc. holding her mummified flesh in place. 'Crons can't do that, though...they're robotic skeletons.

Old_Paladin
10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Except that they are not actual skeletons.
They are robots, made to resemble skeletal figures, to project the imagery of death.

It would be very easy to represent a feminine figure with a womans death mask, long artifical hair and a feminine shaped chest plate.

You could also try to slim the model (at least the top half), put the lower half of the body in a long dress/gown/robe that shows a single robotic leg.

Similar to the lower half of this model:
Even if you cover up the image above the waist, it's still easily recognizable as female.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1182214_99060207170_VCVampireLordMain_445x319.jpg

Kawauso
10-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I guess my point is just that in doing that you'd lose the skeletal imagery, which is kind of the Necrons' thing. That's all.