PDA

View Full Version : occupy wall street...

Lord Azaghul
10-13-2011, 04:02 PM
So for those not in the US...this 'occupy wall street' thing has been going on for a couple of weeks.
I've been following news stories (which seem to want to compare it to the 'Arab Spring'), reading through various commentaries (which turns into extreme left vs right trolling).

And well, I don't see that point. The new media really seems to like them ( I can't for the life of me figure out why)...then in dawned on me.

There are this generations 'hippies'
At first I was amused with this conclusion...and now I'm annoyed.

Hippies - are the ones in charge now, my parents generation if you will, these are the ones who, IMO, are responsible for our current economic conditions.

I'm 30 years old. Married, I have a college education, I have a steady job and have for years. I have bills just like everyone else. I don't own a single apple product (I'm just not interested in them). I look for value in all my purchases (except gaming :P ) and I make it a goal to build up my retirement and my savings...
In short. I'm doing ok. Not the filth rich famous person I though I'd be when I was 12...but hey I"m alright with that.

The last thing I wanted to see what this next generation of 'educated' people develop the hippy mentalities and ideals that have wormed there way into culture, ideals that shirk from individual responsibilities, and toward instant gratification, the short shortsightedness is mind boggling! The inability to plan or prepare for the future...agh!

Don't get me wrong I have problems with the whole 'corporate' as an 'individual' in the eyes of the law.
I work for a large corp, its a crap shoot, but you know what - I've chosen to work here. My choice.

I have big problems with how the US government works - our electoral system and system of representatives need a huge overall .
And you know what, I vote. If I don't like how a rep is behaving or voting - I vote that way! My Choice.

But we don't always get what we want in life do we...that to is part of life.

I was hoping that next generation would be fair less cynical them mine, optimistic and eager to prove themselves and change the world for the better. That they would except the challenges before them and move through them - but I'm just not seeing any of that in the OWS movement.

I'm seeing a hair of good intention with a horse load of ignorance = hippies

Necron2.0
10-13-2011, 06:06 PM
A lot of people are pissed off with the state of the economy. This particular group is blaming Wallstreet. The media and the "Progressives" are eager get everyone focused on this, because it helps hide where the blame truly lies.

The problem with the generations involved in the protest is they think they are leaders, but really they are followers. They've been trained to believe every word that is spoon fed to them. They've been taught from birth that they are special, that everyone is a winner, that it is never their fault when they fail and that society owes them something.

You know what, no. There are 6 billion of us on this rock, so the overwhelming majority of people are not special. There is only ever one winner - second place is the first loser. If you fail, blame yourself. It may be a God given right to pursue happiness, but no where does it say anyone should expect to actually capture it. And the only thing society owes someone is 5 tons of earth, and maybe not even that. I don't care who someone's parents are, or what their race is or where they went to college ... if you cannot perform, expect to lose.

Hive Mind
10-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Dirty hippies expecting something for nothing. Who do they think they are, big business stood in line cap-in-hand waiting to bailed out by public funds?

The very nerve...

scadugenga
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
The problem is just a bit more complicated than that, Lord A.

The economy's in the crapper the world over, not just here.

And here, you can't just point the finger at one particular reason. There are a lot of "wrongs" that occurred to get us to where we are, and hippies aren't one of them.

The protest can't get categorized as one particular group--they span our entire population. The news likes to focus on the most out-there types because it will grab ratings, and allow them to shift public opinion in the direction the want it to go, not necessarily what is actually taking place.

Right or wrong in their motives and objectives, I'm glad they are protesting--because it means at least some people remember that organized assembly is an integral right. Too many people seem to think that should not longer be the case.

Lord Azaghul
10-14-2011, 07:42 AM
The problem is just a bit more complicated than that, Lord A.

Right or wrong in their motives and objectives, I'm glad they are protesting--because it means at least some people remember that organized assembly is an integral right. Too many people seem to think that should not longer be the case.

I'll agree with that part at least! :p

The problem is the have no goal no objectives -

And to my other point. Yes I do think the prior generation can be held responsible for our current plight...but point figures doesn't really solve the problem ;)

I just don't want to see the next generation make the same mistakes that my parents generation did...(I was a history major btw :P...the whole 'doomed to repeat it' thing)

MarneusCalgar
10-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Well, in Spain the Arab Spring became a liittle France´s 68 May, and in May and since then to now we have a little disorders on the streets...

Now the next step is tomorrow, 15-O, more than 1000 cities around the globe have been called by Spanish 15-M movement, even the Wall Street ones...

Drunkencorgimaster
10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Lord Az is 100% right about the media coverage. Why is this considered especially newsworthy when the Tea Party was written off as irrelevant? You can't tell me more people are involved in this Wall Street Thing than in the Tea Party.

Drew da Destroya
10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Lord Az is 100% right about the media coverage. Why is this considered especially newsworthy when the Tea Party was written off as irrelevant? You can't tell me more people are involved in this Wall Street Thing than in the Tea Party.

I find them both to be a parody of each other. And both seem fairly ridiculous.

To be fair, I remember there was a lot of media coverage on the Tea Party when it was still a grassroots movement, instead of a branch of the GOP. The Occupy movement seems to be in the same grassroots stages as Tea Party was, we're just waiting for a leader to really step forward and catapult themselves onto the Political stage and integrate into the Democrat party.

A bit of a cynical view, there, but this looks like the Liberal-flavored Tea Party to me.