PDA

View Full Version : Using Cadian Kasrkin models as a vetran squad with Carapace armour?

sneakyben
10-12-2011, 01:41 AM
I would like to use Cadian Kasrkin models as a vetran squad with Carapace armour...

(as I have 2 squads but want to free up points to fit more models into my army lists :) )

They seem to fit the bill WYSIWYG-wise, except that maybe their guns are too storm-trooper-specific?

I was just wondering what the consensus on the internets would be...

Old_Paladin
10-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Go for it.
As long as you told an opponent what they were ruleswise, most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

Tynskel
10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I prefer the old storm trooper models for the use of storm troopers.

I think the kasrkin models look great for veteran squads. Especially since the sgt is pretty much a perfect fit for the Sgt. Bastonne.

Iceman
10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
In fact, I use the Kasrkin sergeant as Bastonne. I just painted his uniform to match the scheme of the rest of my veteran squad. I also use Kasrkin's as Storm Troopers but painted their uniforms with the dazzle camouflage scheme shown in the old Imperial Guard codex (since that is when I started my IG). The difference makes it pretty clear who are the storm troopers and who are the veterans.

phoenix01
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I wonder when they will release the Kasrkin in fail, erm I mean finecast?

Frankly, I wish there were a bit more options in the standard kit to make veterans (shotguns, carapace pieces, camocloaks, snaremines and the like). Hopefully the rumored IG mini-release will address some of this.

apahllo
10-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Frankly, I wish there were a bit more options in the standard kit to make veterans (shotguns, carapace pieces, camocloaks, snaremines and the like). Hopefully the rumored IG mini-release will address some of this.

i was thinking they were going to do this but plastic makes so much more sense game wise. gun options in blisters are a thing of the metal ages. as for the veterans, would you be willing to pay 25 for 5 model and tons of bitz like us spacemarine players do? because if gw some how got the bright idea to make my special units in failcast i would ***** my way to timbuck two.
the finecast makes more sense from a business perspective, but i have high hopes for gw and i believe in them as a company that cares about what the players want. i think ints only a matter of time before they jump off the finecast bankwagon and start making all normal units in plasti......
oh wait.... necrons are being released in 2 weeks :facepalm:
failcast army #2. wtf

as for the models being used as what you want. im using the storm trooper models as henchmen with hellguns (awesome). and its a good idea to cross fit units as it brings more variety to the game. and the kasrkin models are ****ing sweet so i understand not wanting to throw them on the shelf and buy a box of catachans. i hate those models 2.

StarWarsDoug
10-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Veteran/stormtrooper plastic kit should be out q1 next year in a mixed release month...likely Jan/feb.

Lexington
10-12-2011, 09:27 PM
That's almost too bad, really. I don't mind seeing the stock Stormtroopers go the way of the dodo, but it'll be sad if this puts an end to the truly brilliant Kasrkin sculpts. With any luck, we'll see them transferred over to Finecast in a later wave.

As to the OP, it's fair game indeed, I'd say. The Kasrkin are an anomaly in GW's lines anymore, since they don't actually have any "official" rules attached to them, so you can kind of do what you like.

2_Wycked
10-18-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't recommend the Carapace Armor, but the Kasrkin models are sweet, so I say go for it.

Alex4AJM3
03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
that would be a good option if you don't mind shelling out £25 for a box of kasrkin. Have you maybe thought of greenstuffing some knee, thigh and elbow pads? Cheap, simple and it still looks good.

Control NZ
03-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Kasrkin are awesome models but yea they are a bit expensive. I just used normal cadians with the forge world rebreathers and backpacks- not too expensive and look cool.

Igen
03-07-2012, 01:48 PM
oooo a necro thread, this thing started before necrons were out. =D

On point, I us my Kasrkins as storm troopers. Mainly because I dont take Carapace armor. I just assume that they will die, and try to get their points worth before they do.

St. Murphy
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
I just chopped off my Srg's las pistol last week and replaced it with a sm bolt pistol. Looks pretty good, but I don't think I'll be doing the same for the rest of the squad. Too much repainting for one thing. But all and all, it makes them more reasonable points wise.

bethor
03-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I've always run the Karskins as my stormtroopers, but I think if you tell the guy across the table what you got I think they could work.
"These aren't hotshots...no no no...they are extended ammo reserves for the extended missions!"

OschiDaMoscha
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I think Kasrkin are the easiest way to represent veterans. They just look way more experienced and hightech as the normal Cadian's. A pity they are so expensive...

woodenronin
03-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Go for it. I use 3 karsikin squads as veterans. Nobody cares. And for Bastonne I painted his squad gold and black and he has a calvary/cowboy hat from a deadlands fig.

Colonel Bindoff
03-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Yeah as long as all your kasrkins are either stormies or vets, and you're not saying these ones are stormtroopers and these identical models are vets, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it. And if they do? Basilisk round to the face.

Corvidae
03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't think it is an issue at all, you just always want to make sure your opponent is aware that they are Veterans and not Kasarkin when you play to avoid issues. I can't imagine anyone would be to seriously upset about it.

LordJefferson
03-24-2012, 10:49 PM
that would be a good option if you don't mind shelling out £25 for a box of kasrkin. Have you maybe thought of greenstuffing some knee, thigh and elbow pads? Cheap, simple and it still looks good.

This would be an interesting conversion to see done, but if he already has some models, it's no real loss. I do agree that guard infantry prices are getting out of hand, especially seeing that a Leman Russ in NZ costs alnost $100!