PDA

View Full Version : Tau Fandex New Shas'O Profile, Interested in Feedback

Shas'o Saki
09-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Hello BOLs fans. I'm new to the site but a long time Tau gamer in Washington State. Recently a bunch of my Tau buddies have gotten tired of waiting for GW to update the Tau's Codex so we decided to build our own. We've been play testing our new army list at our local Battle Bunker and have gotten some real good feedback but we'd like more. One of my buddies recommended I post some of our stuff here so that's just what I'm doing. Obviously it's incredibly hard to post an entire Codex in one thread so I'll be doing it piecemeal.

I'm interested in feedback and opinions about what we've come up with. One thing to bear in mind was that our overarching theme for much of the army was mutual support. We didn't want to create super badass killing machines like we find in many codexes lately, instead many of our entries have supportive roles that help or hinder units. Anyways enough gabbing out of me, check out our Shas'O. Keep in mind I'll be posting descriptions for the Experimental Wargear later.

Oh forget waiting, I'll just add the entry to my first post.

Shas’o................90 Points
The Shas’O are the highest ranking members of the Fire Warrior caste that still take to the field and command armies directly. They are veterans of many campaigns who have studied every facet of Puretide’s teachings.

Special Rules:
Student of Puretide- Commander Puretide, the legendary Fire Caste warrior codified the Tau way of war centuries ago. His two schools of combat, the bait and lure tactics of Kauyon and the precision heavy strikes of Mont’ka are studied rigorously by any Fire warrior hoping to advance to command. By the time a warrior reaches the rank of Shas’o he has specialized in one of these schools. Before the game you must declare which school your Shas’o has mastered.

Student of the Mont’Ka- The Shas’o has prepped his battlesuite squads well for a precision attack on a chosen enemy unit, one he knows the destruction of which will cripple his opponents. You may hold a single Battlesuite squad equipped with jump jets in reserve, even if the mission type does not normally allow this. At the beginning of any turn you may declare that they are arriving via deep strike, you do not need to roll, and the unit does not scatter.

Student of the Kauyon- The Shas’o has mastered the art of drawing the enemy into a kill box through deception and illusion. After both players have finished deployment you may choose to redeploy D3 of your units. This includes placing units in reserve.

STAT LINE
WS BS S T W I A LD SV
4 5 3(5) 3(4) 3(4) 4 4 10 3+

Unit Comp.
1 Shas'o

Special Rules.
* Independent Character
* Student of Puretide

Unit Type.
Infantry

Wargear.
* XV 8 Crisis Battlesuite
* Built-in Shield Generator
* Burst Cannon
* Fusion Blaster

Options.
* Choose one of the following Puretide battle Stratagems
- Student of the Mont’Ka
- Student of the Kauyon
* May exchange XV8’s Burst Cannon with:
- Flamer...free
- Fusion Blaster...free
- Cyclic Ion Blaster...15 points
- Airburst Fragmentation Projector...15 points
- Plasma Gun...15 points
- Plasma Thrower...20 points@
* May exchange XV8’s Fusion Blaster with:
- Flamer...free
- Burst Cannon...free
- Missile Pod...15 points
- Plasma Gun...15 points
- Shatter Ray...20 points@
* May exchange both the XV8’s weapons with:
- Anti-Matter Missile Launcher...25 points@
- Nano-Stinger Pods...30 points@
* Must take one of the following XV8 support systems:
-Blacksun Filter...free
-Target Lock...3 points
- Multi-tracker...10 points
-Targeting Array...5 points
- Positional Relay...15 points@
- Command & Control Node...10 points@
-Vectored Decent Thrusters...15 points
-Positron Engines...15 points@
*May exchange built-in Shield Generator with:
- Stealth Field Generator...10 points
- Kinetic Barrier...15 points@
- Overdrive Shield Emitter...25 points@
* May take any of the following Battlesuite Wargear Items:
- Gun Drone...10 points
- Shield Drone...15 points
- Marker Drone...20 points
-Built-in Target Lock...3 points
- Built in Multi-tracker...10 points
- Built-in Blacksun Filter...3 points
- Iridium Armor...20 points@
- Multi-Spectrum Targeting Lens...25 points@
- Lidar-Assisted Gun Sights...20 Points@
-Stim-Injectors...10 points@

-Selecting two weapons of the same kind causes them to become twin-linked, selecting two Flamers creates a single Heavy Flamer.
-Items marked with @ are Experimental Wargear Items and may be available only to this unit or in limited quantities.
* The Shas’o may exchange his XV8 Crisis Suite for a Maco Electronic Warfare Tank for 65 points.

Maco Electronic Warfare Tank
Rather than wading into battle and fighting the enemy directly, some Shas’o prefer to lend a strategic hand to their armies. The Maco was created at the request of Fire Caste leaders specifically for commanders who prefer to assist rather than shoot. Packed with sensors, communications systems, and specialized jammers. The Maco is a potent battlefield asset.

STAT LINE
BS Armor
F S R
4 12 12 12

Unit Comp.
1 Maco

Special Rules.
* Electronic Warfare Suite

Unit Type.
Tank, Skimmer

Wargear.
* Twin-Linked Burst Cannons
* Smart Missile System
* Reactive Armor
* Marker Beacon
* Disruption Pod

Electronic Warfare Suite: The Maco’s impressive array of sensors and jammers allows the Shas’o to employ its special abilities in a variety of terrifying ways. You may utilize one of these abilities during your shooting phase. The electronic warfare suite does not count as firing a weapon for the purpose of moving and is not affected by crew shaken, stunned, or weapon destroyed results. You may not use an Electronic Warfare suite ability two turns in a row.

Air Caste Bombing Run: The Shas’o vectors in Air Caste fighters supporting the ground operation to attack one unit within line of sight to the Maco. The strike hits on a BS of 4 and counts as either a Rail Gun’s Solid Shot or Sub-munitions round. For armor values use the side facing the Maco.

Steroescopic Markerlight Sweep: The Maco sends out multiple independent Marker Light lasers that tag any units they can find and automatically relays the targeting information to nearby forces. The Maco gains D6+2 Marker Light beams that it may fire at any units in range.

Signature Dampening Field: The Maco creates a complex distortion field around itself and nearby units, masking their location from enemy units approaching from orbit or far away. During your opponent’s next turn, no units may arrive via deep strike within 18 inches of the Maco. If the Maco is within 18 inches of a board edge then units may also not outflank from that direction.

Electro-Magnetic Pulse: The Shas’o overloads the Maco’s EM emitters, sending out a devastating wave of energy that overloads any vehicle’s systems within range. Roll a D6 for every vehicle, friend and foe, with 12 inches of the Maco. On a 1, nothing happens, on a 2-5 the vehicle takes a glancing hit, on a 6 a penetrating hit. No cover-saves are allowed against the Electro-Magnetic Pulse.

Shas'o Saki
09-30-2011, 11:42 PM
The Shas'o is still your army's primary heavy hitter but we really wanted to give him more options other than just taking to the field in a battlesuite.

Shas'o Saki
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Someone asked me if the Shas'o can still take a bodyguard. That answer is yes I just didn't want to put more than one unit in a single thread.

Shas'o Saki
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Slight correction above, you can't replace both weapon slots with Plasma Guns. Not that anyone I know ever bothered to twin-link a Shas'os weapon systems.

Astartes
10-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Eager to see what you've come up with. I've worked on my own Tau Fandex for beer+pretzel games in my basement.

Deadlift
10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Look forward to seeing what you have, Always been a big fan of the Tau, I hope you have kept the Taus love of long range warfare in the dex :)

Shas'o Saki
10-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Another question, no the Maco cannot take other vehicle upgrades. It's kind of a standard package machine.

Shas'o Saki
10-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Course, we'd never miss with their guns.

Uncle Nutsy
10-01-2011, 10:15 PM
quick thought that i'll add to later.

Shas'o really shouldn't have a weapon skill of four. that's getting close to a CC oriented unit that Tau really shouldn't have in that position. Initiative should be at least five. He's a shas'o after all, and fought many many battles to get to that point. his initiative should reflect that.

JxKxR
10-01-2011, 11:36 PM
quick thought that i'll add to later.

Shas'o really shouldn't have a weapon skill of four. that's getting close to a CC oriented unit that Tau really shouldn't have in that position. Initiative should be at least five. He's a shas'o after all, and fought many many battles to get to that point. his initiative should reflect that.

Shas'O has a WS of 4 already and a initiative of 3. I will say for all battlesuits I think in the first round of combat when they get the charge they should get a boost to their initiative to represent them jumping in and kicking suckers in the teeth.

Can't wait to see the rest Shas'O Saki, it looks like you're off to a good start.

Uncle Nutsy
10-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Shas'O has a WS of 4 already and a initiative of 3. I will say for all battlesuits I think in the first round of combat when they get the charge they should get a boost to their initiative to represent them jumping in and kicking suckers in the teeth.

Can't wait to see the rest Shas'O Saki, it looks like you're off to a good start.

oh yeah that's right. I forgot that the shas'o already has a ws of 4. it's been a while since i cracked open the tau book.

I wanna see more in this fandex.

gcsmith
10-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Like I put in ur combat engineers really like it, I would change the wording to the non deepstrike thing to no enemy unit may arrive from reserve anywhere within 18" of the tank.

Also what does reactive armour do?

Shas'o Saki
10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Like I put in ur combat engineers really like it, I would change the wording to the non deepstrike thing to no enemy unit may arrive from reserve anywhere within 18" of the tank.

Also what does reactive armour do?

Thanks gcsmith. I like that wording for the Signature Dampening Field. I'll suggest the verbiage change at our next get together.

Reactive Armor is a new Vehicle Upgrade we designed. For 20 points it reduces the strength of any shooting attack by 1. I'll be posting a full list of new Vehicle upgrades in a future post.