PDA

View Full Version : Games Day Australia

eldargal
09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Is on now I think? Any antipodes who went post pictures and news here please.

eldargal
10-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Really? Nothing all day? It was on today, wasn't it? I got up early expecting there would be some kind of thread on it but nothing here or on Warseer.:(
I haven't got my timezones mixed up and it is actually on tomorrow, have I? That would be embaressing.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
10-01-2011, 01:56 AM
I would have loved to be there, had every thing planned, the money, airfare, hotel, travel plans, and shopping money, what i wanted and a new digital camera also.

Then i got a dreadful flu, and well i guess my praires to rid myself of Nurgle snuck through and sidelined me all week.
So dissappointed, as i really wanted to go and enjoy the day. Now i have to wait until next year.
:(

faolan
10-01-2011, 02:05 AM
It's a bad day to have the Games Day. The Grand Final is on down here (Aussie Rules) so a lot of people who might have gone to it have begged off.

Add in the fact that only a few of us in this antipodean hell have power, much less internet, and you're in for a slow news day!

Slug
10-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Exam study killed it for me :(

mad_larkin
10-01-2011, 04:23 AM
I thought it was tomorrow.

Luckily, I didn't buy a ticket.

Gir
10-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Got heaps of photos.Will post them tomorrow once I get home.

All in all, despite nothing new being on display, it was an awesome day. Will definitely be coming back next year.

eldargal
10-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Good to hear, I'd be interested in a write up of what was there, queus, any seminars etc when its convenient.:) People assumed the OZ GD would be the poor little brother to the UK one, it would be amusing if it were better.

Gotthammer
10-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I just got back from work (went straight there after!) so I'll have some pics and a write up done in a bit.

Gotthammer
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Here is my write up, with some pictures. (http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com/2011/10/games-day-australia-2011.html)

Deadlift
10-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Here is my write up, with some pictures. (http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com/2011/10/games-day-australia-2011.html)

Great write up and nice pictures, interesting Dark Angels got a mention, hopeful that's something promising for them :). Thanks for sharing.

Lexington
10-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Really good article/overview - thanks for bringing so much info back with you!

gcsmith
10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Really nice, seems australia get the good Gamesday with it being on a saturday, why not saturday in UK is beyond me

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Love how they refer to the SoB WD codex as a stop gap, guess that means we need to wait something like another year or three before they get around to us again over more money selling armies.

That's funny they think its awesome, guess they don't read these forums then.

Slug
10-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Really nice, seems australia get the good Gamesday with it being on a saturday, why not saturday in UK is beyond me

Hmm, I'm going to be honest with you, they picked a bad weekend to do Gamesday, Saturday or Sunday you have a grand final (AFL then League) and there was a world cup game, next Saturday/Sunday would have been better.

Gir
10-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Hmm, I'm going to be honest with you, they picked a bad weekend to do Gamesday, Saturday or Sunday you have a grand final (AFL then League) and there was a world cup game, next Saturday/Sunday would have been better.

I imagine very few people who went to Gamesday care about either of those events. Hell, I go for Collingwood and I didn't even care about the Grand Final.

daboarder
10-02-2011, 04:14 AM
To be fair Gir its also.....

A long weekend
the rugby world cup in NZ
the spring races are back at Randwick

basically I was going......and then I got roped into into a weekend of debauchery and cash loss....

PS:

GO THE SEA EAGLES!!

eldargal
10-02-2011, 04:17 AM
By all accounts it was a huge success so the other activities can't have hurt it too much.

daboarder
10-02-2011, 04:48 AM
By all accounts it was a huge success so the other activities can't have hurt it too much.

Oh of course not, I fully intend to go next year and I'll be entering armies on parade too boot

edit: they probably lost about a quarter of people to the various other activities at most

klunc
10-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the write-up. I definitely plan on going next year, looks like a great excuse to go to Sydney.

Gotthammer
10-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Love how they refer to the SoB WD codex as a stop gap, guess that means we need to wait something like another year or three before they get around to us again over more money selling armies.

That's funny they think its awesome, guess they don't read these forums then.

Well he did add it as a hasty afterthought - it sounded much more like "oh yeah, I work for them so I've got to be positive" more than an actuall personal opinion.

A couple of other things I remembered:

- Phil and Adam talked about production time of a codex. Dark Eldar was around five years of dev time, but the actual writing takes much less time, a few months or so. Most codexes take around three years from initiation to publisher.

- Talking with Adam and a guy who collected Dark Angels, the DA player commented on how he'd like to get all the Land Raider variants / Storm Raven etc. Adam replied that his design philosophy is to not do that, to avoid homogeny across the Marine ranges.
If he was to do DA, he'd instead focus on making Deathwing and Ravenwing more unique. His specific example was that Ravenwing used to get the Tornado Land Speeder, but now everyone does, so he'd go in that direction more than just giving them everyone else's toys. He was talking purely hypothetical - don't take it as a hint of future releases!

- I had a stickybeak at the Dreadfleet sprues, and the kit is very, very detailed and packed with loads of things. They had some demo games going, but inside the sales area, so I didn't see them until later when I didn't have time to have a game. Quite a few people were picking it up though.

- Phil talked for a while about the design of the game, and segued into a discussion about getting locked in a room with the Perry twins for a month looking at weird sea creatures like the Goblin Shark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_shark).

Gir
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
To be fair Gir its also.....

A long weekend

It was only a long weekend for NSW.

Also, who the hell came up with the NSW road laws? They seem designed specifically to be as dangerous as possible.

(Photos are uploading now)

daboarder
10-02-2011, 05:25 PM
hahaahaa, pretty sure we say the same thing about victoria....only its to do with that million and one speed camera's you poor buggers have to deal with. what road law differences are you refering to?

Gir
10-02-2011, 05:33 PM
hahaahaa, pretty sure we say the same thing about victoria....only its to do with that million and one speed camera's you poor buggers have to deal with. what road law differences are you refering to?

We have far less speed cameras, especially on Hume, and we don't have any of those stupidly dangerous average speed cameras.

I'm mostly thinking of the L/P plate laws. Speed limiting Ls to 80, red Ps to 90 and Green Ps to 100 is just retarded.

Anyway, (badly taken) Photos! I've never used Flickr before, so hopefully this link works: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68200987@N02/

daboarder
10-02-2011, 08:48 PM
oh don't worry bout those, they only work on trucks at the moment, give it a year or 2 and they'll work on cars though.

nice photos by the way

Wildeybeast
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info from the colonies guys, it sounds like a well run and entertaining event. I'm impressed at the number of GW bigwigs they flew down there for you and it sounds like they were worth doing so. Any idea what the attendance figures were?

CommissarStein
10-07-2011, 01:20 AM
I was at Games Day Australia myself. It was quite fun but people are right to say that another weekend where there was less going on would have been a better weekend to have this.

As it was my first Games Day - I didn't know what to expect (only I wished there were more people in costume). I did get to talk to some of the authors, which was interesting. I also loved looking at all of the Armies on Parade, as well as some of the other painted minatures. There are a lot of talented people in this hobby.

I left Games Day with a copy of Dreadfleet (hey Pirates and Vampires are two of my favourite fantasy things.). I also left longing for a copy of Space Hulk. (I especially loved that Tyranid that's halfway out of the ground.). I'll be interested to see what blogs and news stories exist on this event. Next year, maybe I'll even have an army to tournament. Who knows : ).

Cheers,

Kylee