PDA

View Full Version : Magnitized goodies!~

Dont-Be-Haten
09-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey Fantasy Lovers, DBH once again!

So I've recently assembled a very epically sweet awesome and goody-goody gum drop Star dragon of the High Elves. I thought to myself and before painting I came up with an idea. I pondered this thought, "Why do I have to choose between 1 Prince riding the ancient creature or an Archmage when I could possibly have both!"

I'm just curious how I could go about this with them both sticking and I've seen some magnet work done via the terrain article the other day and was wondering if there was any way to incorporate that to my model. It seems much more economical, and if I ever decide to get a 2nd Dragon so be it! I just really like the idea of being able to switch between the two. Any step-by-step // other ideas/etc. would be much appreciated! Hope to get feed back soon. I'll all giddy about painting the monstrous dragon :D

-Dont-Be-Haten

Ardboy
09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
The best thing that I have found and use very frequently are rare earth disc magnets. I use them all the time to swap riders / arms / weapons. Its hard to find all the sizes you need at stores like radio shack, so I order mine from here.

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/c-9-disc-magnets.aspx

I recommend taking a pin vice and bore out a small hole in the saddle. Glue the magnet there. In the underside of the rider, you could bore another hole and use another magnet. Or I recommend finding very small nails or screws that will stick to the magnet. This way you are using a cheaper bit of metal and not wasting two magnets.

The really small magnets are also great for swapping arms and being able to use all of the weapon options.

Hope this helps

magickbk
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
What you want to do is get some rare earth magnets from eBay. Something a few mm wide. Measure the part of your rider that touches the dragon to determine how big of a magnet to use. You then need to have a pin vise bit the same diameter as your magnets. Drill in just enough to have the magnet sit flush with the surface of the model. Glue the magnet in the hole you drilled, and wait for it to dry. Then use it to pick up the other side of the magnet, and mark it with a marker. This helps you establish which side to glue face down to the dragon (you don't want to glue in both sides and find the polarity is wrong!). Follow the procedure with the dragon and let the glue dry, and then do the same with your second rider. Done!

Thornblood
10-07-2011, 05:44 PM
What I do is even cheaper- The High elf dragon is so well made, and the robes fit around the dragons neck so well that the models almost stay on on their own. So I add a tiny bit of blu-tac under each rider. Its not as cool as magnets, but it works brilliantly.

Incidentally all my units are blu-taced to their movement trays. The blu-tac is normally left from whent hey were undercoated in spray paint, but it stops falling over and keeps them together well.

Meph
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Not to toot my own horn, but I've been using magnets since a while and somebody asked a how-to in the past. Here's a link to the post. Don't be shy to ask specifics if you feel the need. ^^

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=125005&postcount=34