PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshops new set of hobby supplies

snikrot
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Found this on DakkaDakka
The only thing i can see myself getting is the liquid green stuff just to see what i can do with it.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u5q9h5q9MZo/ToI1Ttn5YFI/AAAAAAAABGY/SRKG6tB2QnQ/s1600/274044_sm-.jpg
Citadel cleanup kit: Contains a flash brush with right rigid bristles for removing flash from resin and a mouldline scraping tool, ideal for metal, resin and plastic.
- Citadel Emery boards: Pack contains three emery boards that are great for smoothing resin surfaces. Contains two fine-grade and one super-duper-extra-fine-grade board.
- Citadel liquid green stuff: paint bottle of liquid green stuff. Water soluble, designed for gapfilling and removing air bubbles.
- Revamped Citadel tool kit: Contains all previous tools along with the new clean up kit.

Lord Azaghul
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
the emery boards made me ' lol'

but I supposed someone will buy them :rolleyes:

Build
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Liquid green stuff?

Seriously?

I smell a rat.

modelguyicmt
09-28-2011, 10:49 AM
"Let's start making our models out of a substance with which we have an extremely difficult time keeping up to standard, whilst giving free replacements and then make a line of specially designed products to recoup our losses!! :D"

/facepalm.

They should have kept with metal until they had perfected finecast. I don't think that this is helping their bottom line a whole lot...

Wildeybeast
09-28-2011, 10:50 AM
The clean up tools look pretty useful to me.

Rissan4ever
09-28-2011, 11:02 AM
The Liquid Green Stuff looks nifty. As for the rest of it, I haven't see the prices, but I'm betting you could get all that stuff at Wal-Mart or a hardware store for A LOT cheaper.

Lord Azaghul
09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
The clean up tools look pretty useful to me.

I do believe that's called a 'hobby knife' and or 'detail file' both of which you should already have AND both of which have more then one use.

L192837465
09-28-2011, 12:11 PM
The Liquid Green Stuff looks nifty. As for the rest of it, I haven't see the prices, but I'm betting you could get all that stuff at Wal-Mart or a hardware store for A LOT cheaper.

I know for a fact you can get emory boards for about $.25 apiece at a womans apparel store. The brush you can get for free after you replace a toothbrush. The file you can get for 3.00 at Lowes or Home Depot and it's much better quality.

The only thing is the liquid green stuff, which you can get from Galeforce for about 1/8 the price of GW product.

Seriously, GW, please just stick to models.

wittdooley
09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I won't lie. I own the citadel Hobby Knife, pin vise, and razor saw. They're far more comfortable than the comparable products on the market. I'm happy I paid the premium on them, just like I"m happy I paid the premium on my Apple products.

Please link the GF9 liquid green stuff. I knew Vallejo did one, but was unaware GF9 did.

Wildeybeast
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I do believe that's called a 'hobby knife' and or 'detail file' both of which you should already have AND both of which have more then one use.

I do indeed own both of them and I am well aware of their multiple uses, for example hobby knives can be used against people who make uneccesarily condescending internet posts. :D I have found that due to its malleable nature, taking a file to a FC model is not always advisable as you risk losing some of the detail and it is also hard to get into some parts of certain models. And using the craft knife comes with occupational hazard of hacking chunks out of your rather soft FC models, not to mention my hands. These products have obviosuly been designed with FC models in mind to get around these problems. Clearly I am not the only person to have experienced these issues. They are by no means essential tools, but they will all make working with FC models that bit easier, which is why humans invent tools. A knife works ok for removing detail, but these could be better. The candle worked, but the light bulb makes life better. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

Lord Azaghul
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I do indeed own both of them and I am well aware of their multiple uses, for example hobby knives can be used against people who make uneccesarily condescending internet posts. :D . If you don't like them, don't buy them.

It wasn't condescending: it was product discouragement! ;)

I really don't many of GW's tools are any better then the generic hobby tools available to us - the word that comes to mind for the 'scraping tool' is superfluous!

Having spent years giggling at the high prices of gw HOBBY tools....then wondering who buys them I just couldn't help my self :eek:

I was merely pointing my finger and saying: 'NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!' ;)

wittdooley
09-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I buy some of them. Feel free to giggle. My hands are callous free ;).

Lord Azaghul
09-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I buy some of them. Feel free to giggle. My hands are callous free ;).

On I will!

My hands are callous free too, but that has more to do with working at PC all day then anything else!

Lexington
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
The liquid green stuff sounds promising! The rest sounds like GW's trying to sell me the contents of my bathroom cabinets for a 300% mark-up.

Wildeybeast
09-28-2011, 02:27 PM
It wasn't condescending: it was product discouragement! ;)

I really don't many of GW's tools are any better then the generic hobby tools available to us - the word that comes to mind for the 'scraping tool' is superfluous!

Having spent years giggling at the high prices of gw HOBBY tools....then wondering who buys them I just couldn't help my self :eek:

I was merely pointing my finger and saying: 'NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!' ;)

Fair enough, I guess the problem with type is the lack of tone! I get the point about the mark up and other tools doing a similar job, but I'm with Wittdooley on this one. I have tried other tools and I do find GW's slightly more comfortable and easier to use. As a sufferer of a mild form of dyspraxia, my fine motor skills aren't always great (painting takes me bloody ages!) so anything that adds a bit more comfort and makes modelling that bit easier is a winner in my book.

Cursed13
09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
The liquid green stuff sounds promising! The rest sounds like GW's trying to sell me the contents of my bathroom cabinets for a 300% mark-up.

I have to agree with Lex on that one. The only thing on there that actually looks useful is the liquid greenstuff, and since it's a GW product, I know it'll actually be in one of my local game stores. Gotta give GW credit for that, they really get their products everywhere.

Gir
09-28-2011, 06:57 PM

People who don't find them expensive?

eldargal
09-28-2011, 11:11 PM
The liquid greenstuff will be useful, vallejo produces a similar product but generally I just use runny milliput that my brother keeps in a jam jar.

Remember that for a lot of new players one of GWs strengths is that you can get everything you need in the store, this now includes products for filling relatively harmless surface bubbles in Finecast like those on armour plates and whatnot which don't damage detail.

As to the rest of it, I use a gale foce 9 hobby knife and everything else comes from craft and hobby stores, the only other GW hobby tools I use are some of the brushes.

Build
09-28-2011, 11:57 PM
I will admit I'm very curious about the liquid green stuff, I can already think of a number of uses for it if it is as good as claimed.

it would be ideal of coating a small area before applying a layer of super sculpey over the top.

Deadlift
09-29-2011, 12:38 AM
Liquid green stuff sounds good, think I would prefer it in a squeezy tube instead of a pot though.

Lane
09-29-2011, 01:53 AM
I won't lie. I own the citadel Hobby Knife, pin vise, and razor saw. They're far more comfortable than the comparable products on the market.

I find the Citadel Hobby Knife and Razor Saw a complete waste of money. While the handles are more comfortable when held at the optimum angle I rarely do so. I use a hobby knife to cut both directions, as a drill and as a scraper, thus I tend to roll the handle a lot making the citadel one clumsy.The Razor Saw is expensive for a throw away. I've had the same saw handle for over 15 years and change blades fairly often. I can buy a new saw fro 2/3 the price of a citadel saw and replacement blades are 1/3 the price. By not using a citadel saw I can use different pitch and width blades depending on the material.

I do like the citadel Pin Vise with some modification. I replaced the steel collet with the four brass collets from an older pin vice, unfortunately the spare collets have disappeared during a recent trip to the GW store leaving me with only one narrow size range of drills to chose from. It also appears that model pin vise has been discontinued in favor of steel collets (cheaper). The big complaint with the GW pin vice is the storage compartment tends to unscrew during use.

pauljc
09-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on some of that Liquid Green Stuff. Say what you will about GW, but quite often they come up with some awesomesauce ideas.

CitizenSoldier
09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I think its pretty clear how GW can sell this stuff - kids go into a store, maybe with a parent, and the staff say "you need one of these, one of these and one of these". I also have some of the GW tools; the sculpting tool and the fine saw. Maybe I could have got the equivalent for less if I'd looked around, but neither exactly broke the bank.

The one product that annoys me is the static grass - not only is is really expensive, in the grimdark of the future, there is NO grass!

If people can find the same (or better) for less, good luck to 'em. If GW really is shifting product way over the odds, good luck to 'em too. Maybe I'll buy some company shares ;)

Liquid Green Stuff for less than £3 a pot - of course I'll try it.

Citizen.

wittdooley
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I find the Citadel Hobby Knife and Razor Saw a complete waste of money. While the handles are more comfortable when held at the optimum angle I rarely do so. I use a hobby knife to cut both directions, as a drill and as a scraper, thus I tend to roll the handle a lot making the citadel one clumsy.The Razor Saw is expensive for a throw away. I've had the same saw handle for over 15 years and change blades fairly often. I can buy a new saw fro 2/3 the price of a citadel saw and replacement blades are 1/3 the price. By not using a citadel saw I can use different pitch and width blades depending on the material.

I do like the citadel Pin Vise with some modification. I replaced the steel collet with the four brass collets from an older pin vice, unfortunately the spare collets have disappeared during a recent trip to the GW store leaving me with only one narrow size range of drills to chose from. It also appears that model pin vise has been discontinued in favor of steel collets (cheaper). The big complaint with the GW pin vice is the storage compartment tends to unscrew during use.

Well, I cetainly don't buy my blades from GW. However, the citadel razor saw is so much more comfortable than an Exacto or other hobby one. My 'regular' hobby saw broke the first time I used it. The metal was far too thin and it bent.

Wildeybeast
09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
The one product that annoys me is the static grass - not only is is really expensive, in the grimdark of the future, there is NO grass!

There is grass in the future. They have agri worlds and garden worlds with plenty of grass. Also, I think it is mainly bought by fantasy players.

CitizenSoldier
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
I meant it more as my personal interpretation of grimdark. For 40k, its gotta be rubble & carnage, not verdant herbage.

Lord Azaghul
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I meant it more as my personal interpretation of grimdark. For 40k, its gotta be rubble & carnage, not verdant herbage.

In the grimdark there is only...SALAD! ;)

Lane
09-29-2011, 01:41 PM
. For 40k, its gotta be rubble & carnage, not verdant herbage.

Blood makes the grass grow.

Morgan Darkstar
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
in the grimdark of the future, there is NO grass!

But what about all the Grox, what will they eat?

lobster-overlord
09-29-2011, 10:15 PM
We had these roll into the store today, and I checked out the greenstuff, and this is what I've been wanting in teh way of a putty. Regular GS doesn't cut if for me, and I've tried other products that don't work either. I'm excited about it. The tools, I'm kinda "meh" on.

Now the real thing of interest today was that we got our allotment of Dreadfleet in. Cracked the Demo copy and it's booty-ful (pirate pun intended).