PDA

View Full Version : Using Ork mobs!? C+C plz

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I have recently purchased ALOT of orks. Ive only played them a few times and those times were nob niker lists. The only vehicle i have is a battlewagon but i have literially hundreds of boys and dozens of nobs.

So My questions is: Are orc hoard armies effective?
I mean for less than 1000 pts I can field 180 boyz!!!!
which in a 2000 point game still leaves me with plenty of point for HQ's, Stormboyz, Lootas etc.

Does anyone out there that plays with these numbers and how do you keep from punching youself from moving-shooting-assaulting 250+ models? :D

I playing a game soon and was going to use such a list and wanted to get everyones thoughts beforehand.

thecactusman17
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
There are two armies that can deal with those. The problem is, they are both fairly popular right now.

Guard template armies can obviously do it (though it's a bit tough).

Also, Grey Knight armies with even a single purifier squad can ruin you. They multi-charge more than one unit, and you are looking at possibly up to a 20-40 wound differential. If they multicharge you with two or more purifier units, you essentially lose the entire army in one big swoop.

Mr.Pickelz
09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
I'd say yes and no. In my experience of running the green tide (1500 points) people generally will make a dedicated list to deal with my army, mainly because a melta vet. or similar list will have trouble killing THAT many models. You should have no problem with objective capture or contesting with 180 boyz. Also, be sure to upgrade one to a nob and give him a power-klaw, it will be your only "saving grace" against vehicles/MC's. if your running the list at more than 1850 points, then i suggest investing in loota's, they will give your opponent something to worry about, and help cover your long range fire-support. the battlewagon(s) should be left open-topped, that way you can assault out the front of the vehicle and can assault after having it move.

Units like Nob bikers will help this army a lot, by giving it a distraction unit. Something to take firepower away from your mobz. A big mek with the Kustom Force Field will work wonders for your dudes as they walk/run across the board. Try and position yourself for the Waaagh! role, if you take Ghazkull Thraka, your dudes will count as rolling a 6, automatically, which will work wonders as you need to close the distance asap to reap the benefits of outnumbering someone in the assault. Don't worry too much about buying stickbombs for your mobz, your going to go after most of the 40k universe anyways.

thecactusman17
09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Oh, right: give that Battlewagona deffrolla. S10 hits are never a bad thing, especially since you can apply them to vehicles! Make contact and no matter what, you get that lovely d6 S10 hits against say a landraider or Wave Serpent.

Wolfshade
09-28-2011, 02:02 AM
In terms of the logistics of pushing around 180 boyz I have seen people use the lotr infantry movement trays to move large squads quickly, though when in CC they need to be out of the tray so can be a bit fiddly

kabelguy
09-28-2011, 10:02 AM
i have fought against, and used myself, a list similiar to this:
1 squad gretchin - screen for boyz
1 looted wagon - for long range support
1 squad lootas - for long range support
1 big mech with shock attack gun - for long range support
4-5 squads of 30 boyz each, 3 with shootas ( for long range support
) and a nob with power klaw and boss-pole and maybe armor.

it was very tough to fight against when i was using DE before the new codex.
It was effective at fighting IG without too many tanks.
Nids were a problem sometimes when they were designed for HTH.

FTE-Charge!!!
09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
I think this kind of list is very underratted bc it was getting womped when the new edition first came out.

Sure, Mech will give you trouble due to resiliance and firepower, but with the crazy amount of orks you have that should be nill. I agree with the Nob pwr claw though- certainly a must. I wouldnt bother with upgrading weaponry of the boyz- run run run until you get close enough to lose some volleys and charge in, its all about making sure the enemy cant shoot bc his entire front is tied up.

I would splurg for a blob or two of Gretchin. The look on your opponents face when your army gets a 4+ cover due to the little green guys in priceless, and forces him to concentrate on them if he wants to eliminate that save.

Also, some static range wouldnt be bad- especially to deal with rock hard mech and deathstar units that might give a mob a difficult time.

I dont care how savvy an opponent is- facing off agains 200+ orks is nothing to to scoff at; it doenst matter what silly version of Wolves, Angels or GK you play- its going to be tough!

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I think this army is going to be very fun( if not time consuming lol!)

I like the gretchin idea and the Nob w/pk is definatly standard.

should i equip the boyz with stick bombs?

I got a about 20 lootas 20 burns boyz, 20 Stormboysw/zagstuck, 20 Commandos w/snikrot, and 15 bikes(can be used as nobs or just bikers) 5 deff coptas.

The only thing i dont have is vehicles(except for a stoompa and skullhamma lol but thats only for apocalypse) , tanks bustas, and kans and dreads

If you had this what would you do? I am going to write up a list 2nite and see what yall think

o yea anyone got a spray gun and alot of green paint i can borrow

FTE-Charge!!!
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
\
should i equip the boyz with stick bombs?

I got a about 20 lootas 20 burns boyz, 20 Stormboysw/zagstuck, 20 Commandos w/snikrot, and 15 bikes(can be used as nobs or just bikers) 5 deff coptas.

Time consuming??? Heck yes! I would def matt varnish the army so you can be indiscriminate about grabbing a whole lot of models at once to move. Using movement trays will prob cause more harm than good and could even set you up for more death than usual from templates.

I say nay to stickbombs. You will flood the opponent with attacks and only get int.3. Most opponents are marines so will go first anyhow. And it doesnt give you any apprciable str bonus against vehicles since you have furious charge.

Sound like you have an amazing amount of elite orks. Deployment might be an issue for you- simply not enough room. In that case I would keep as many outflankers and deepstrikers off the table as possible. I dont remember if bikes scout, but I can imagine the look of worry when zag struck deep strikes, commandos outflank with bikes AND the horde is still approaching from the front.

I wouldnt worry about vehicles as much- just infantry them to death since you have the models. Just be prepared for an uphill close combat battle with heavy vehicles like landraiders bc the pwr claw is your only friend lol.

Def post a list asap! I would love to play this army; it sounds scary has h&*^!

TheRise
09-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Always a fun game with Orks. And as long as they get into combat with in a couple of turn Mech IG armies can't shoot you.

Always take Shootas if your running hordes of about 20+ as you will never get all those boys into combat in nearly all circumstances. And in one turn with a mob of 30 Shootas you have 60 shots, 60 attacks though only half or less will go in, at I3 and S4 which ain't to abd realy, as you will hopefuly make a Tactical Squad at least run, and possibly wipe em out. Plus always take a Nob with Bosspole ( a must in large mobs)and a Big Choppa is great. S7 on charge, and against tanks your strikign rear armour, which is usualy 10 sometimes 11 and rarely 12 (except Land Raiders).

Though Zagstruk and 15 Stormboyz will easily take out a Tank. So will Nob Bikerz.

thecactusman17
09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
20 burnas are the bed ones for killing anything. No rol to hit, just 20x however many models you can hit. These guys go in the wagon, just sidle up to some poor sap and watch him disappear. Bonus if you catch any other models.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
still working on the list, not happy with lack of numbers. might have to make it a 2500 list which bugs me but not too much

Da Gargoyle
10-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I used to game orks before they took away all the good things. However under the current lists, you can't have a dedicated transport for burna boys but they nick some one elses like trukk boys who got out for a leg stretch. Most vehicles have a low rear armour so multple power claws at s8 are bound to do damage. If you have two mobs of burnas of 10 boys each, one flames, the other assaults, poweerrrrrr. Cut through marine armour like acetylene through plastic.

Fill a second trukk with megga armoured nobs and launch it at tanks.

I would run mobs of 20 boys with shootas. They still get 2 base attack, 18" assault shootas and thats a lot of boys to deal with. Second wave with choppas & Sluggas.

Get some kans with rokkits. May as well make use of that grot BS3

FTE-Charge!!!
10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Where is the list?! I'm eager to see what kind of horde you can build.

What kind of numbers were you taking at 2000pts? Can you also post the list for 2000 that you were not happy with? Perhaps we can critique it so that you cut fat and raise your numbers?