PDA

View Full Version : Justicar Thawn Speed Paint Video

s_harrington
09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
A buddy of mine made this speed paint video of his Justicar Thawne and I thought it was cool enough to share:

http://alightinthegrimdark.blogspot.com/2011/09/bringing-thawn-to-life-project-complete.html

StarWarsDoug
09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm not trying to be cruel, but that was one of the worst how to paint videos I've seen. Here are my specific critiques if he wants to do better.

1. High def. Most of the video was so unclear that you cannot make out details of the figure.

2. Hands in the way. Recognizing the objectis to show the miniature and not the hands would help a lot. So much of what he is doing in the video is obscured by his own hands.

3. Nauseating shakey cam. It's one thing to fast forward to show a progression, but to also have a unfocused, shaking camera makes that speed unbearable.

4. Lighting. He needs more light sources so the hands moving don't change the cameras light level constantly. Multiple lights help even out the scene, miniatures are small enough a little shadow creates a dark blob.

The miniature might be painted great, but this video does it no justice. If you can't get the video great, at least take some high quality stills at all angles and show those at the tail end so we can see what the end result really looks like.

Sorry for the negative Nancy, but if he's got the chops to paint then showing it off in the best possible way will really allow us to appreciate.

dagonis
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Interesting video, but that constant blur kills me.