PDA

View Full Version : WOC is COW backwards....

GeordieGenius
09-25-2011, 02:03 AM
OK been trying to play WHFB now for a couple of months. My friend has a Skaven army and I've been trying out different armies to try and become enthused by the game.... I just cannot get into it, played Bretonians, Dwarfs, O&G, Lizardmen and was going to bite the bullet and just buy VC to just do it until.

THE WARRIORS OF CHAOS...

Quite simply I play IG,Tyranids and I'm in the Middle of a DA army and I love making Army list...Yet I struggled to find the same pleasure in WHFB, until I got the WOC codex. I don't know why but it has just sparked the fire inside and I've just ordered 2 battalions.

So to the point.....Whether you are a WHFB or a 40K player have you ever crossed to the darkside and played the other ruleset, and if so why did you choose your other army?

So here's to rocking WHFB and bringing the full power of the Chaos gods to bear......(uuurrrrghhh it still feels a little heretical but hey, the Emperor hasn't even been born yet).

Blood for the.......Hell no, For the Emperor.......

celestialatc
09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey there is an Emperor and his name is Karl Franz! Should you meet him, kill him!

I love my Chaos Warriors and I am glad you have found a love for them too. They can be so much fun and you have access to some of the best core choices in the game. It is one of the most balanced books. Just watch out for shooting armies, they can be annoying (but that is why we have the blasted Banner and mark of tzeentch!)

And don't feel bad about turning to Chaos, I play Daemon Hunters and Eldar and it's a different universe in WHFB, no one will blame you for wanting to be on the side of destruction. The Empire is corrupt, the high elves are too aloof and the dwarves are dying but Chaos will always be going strong! Plus we are just simple Vikings with weird gods, there is no inquisition to tell us it's wrong!

Lord Azaghul
09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Like all good cows...I advise tipping them.

Game play: Magic, Magic, Magic. If you aren't spamming magic for WHFB 8th edition you're not playing to its strengths.

I'm a dwarf player - that's also why I'm not playing WHFB anymore.
Still love the models though - the dwarves any way!

Mr.Pickelz
09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Till dwarves get a new book, you will probably only see one build of them and that is, Shoot Shoot Shoot!
Lord on anvil,Thane with BSB, a runesmith or two. Nothing but thunderers or quarllers with Great weapons, backed by mass cannon/grudgethrower firepower. oh and a couple of organ guns. :(
Chaos definitely has a lot of good stuff going for it. and as said before, if you can dominate the magic phase then you are a step ahead of your opponent.

Lord Azaghul
09-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Till dwarves get a new book, you will probably only see one build of them and that is, Shoot Shoot Shoot!
Lord on anvil,Thane with BSB, a runesmith or two. Nothing but thunderers or quarllers with Great weapons, backed by mass cannon/grudgethrower firepower. oh and a couple of organ guns. :(
Chaos definitely has a lot of good stuff going for it. and as said before, if you can dominate the magic phase then you are a step ahead of your opponent.

Nope. Shooting took such a hard nerf in 8th ed coupled with the vast amount of Antishooting magic - its not even playable.

Non-BS WM's are really the only viable shooting option. (organ guns and GT's are definately the way to go)

Blocks of GW warriors are nice - but. No magic. So vs 70% of the crap out there ... why bother.

Anvil. I've never liked that thing. Too many points for what it does (or doesn't do)

Trust me I've got over 8k in dwarves, been playing them for 5+ years...GW just doesn't know HOW to write rules for a 'defensive' army - but they sure know how to kick one to the curb.

That all leads me up to my decision NOT to play GW games competitively until the 'balance' everything out.

However - from a casual stand point - the game is just fine - still not fair - but fine.

Mr.Pickelz
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
True, but imo, the shooting build is the most effective dwarf build so far.I know for a fact that it sure isn't Karak Kadrin(the slayer hold) which is what i used.;)

Lord Azaghul
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Nice! I still have about 12 doom seekers sitting in blisters at home...never got around to building that Storms of Chaos army! :p

Its one of those 'someday' projects!

Grovel
09-26-2011, 09:32 PM
I've always been a WFB player myself and moved into Warriors of Chaos from Tomb Kings & Orcs about a year ago - much fun to be had on the other side of sanity.

As for your question though, I also jumped ship over to 40k and went with Tyranids - reason being that their models have the most appeal to me. I also have the obligatory Marines army, but they're more of an afterthought than a focus.

SicariusXIII
10-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Like all good cows...I advise tipping them.

Game play: Magic, Magic, Magic. If you aren't spamming magic for WHFB 8th edition you're not playing to its strengths.

I'm a dwarf player - that's also why I'm not playing WHFB anymore.
Still love the models though - the dwarves any way!

The Dwarves spell magic a bit differently... S-H-O-O-T-I-N-G

w7west
10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
True, but imo, the shooting build is the most effective dwarf build so far.I know for a fact that it sure isn't Karak Kadrin(the slayer hold) which is what i used.;)

The dwarf armies that regularly win tourneys (check denmarks team, a large percent of the armies - dwarfs!) do not field a gunline.

The true strength of the dwarfs lies in their ability to form hordes with amazing stat lines and greatweapons, backed by enough accurate and reliable warmachine fire to tip the scales of combat into the dwarfs favor once they start getting charged.

Possibly the most competitive dwarf build uses a 40 GW warrior squad with command, a 40 GW ranger warrior squad with command, 38 hammerers with MRoGrungi(5+ ward to units 6") bsb thane tooled defensively with RoFlame to take care of regen before hammerers attack, and a runelord tooled for defense and antimagic. You only need a handful of warmachines when you have this much combat potential, and you get the best ones: Grudge thrower (2x RoPen, 1x RoAccuracy) for a str5 reroll scatter stone thrower, two cannons with forging, one has fire to take care of regen monsters, and an organ gun. Adding engineer to the cannons and gt add another wound to each and make grapeshot/indirect fire a lot better.

An army like that is rock hard and if you are playing in tourneys you don't have to worry about a lot of the over the top magic from named characters. There are still a few spells that you really need to watch out for, but that is why you have a 4 dice swing each magic phase to make sure you will get the dispels you need.

Dwarfs can still be a top tier army, and there are other builds that are even better (2 45 point bolt throwers + 135 great weapon longbeard scouting rangers with the 5+ward to shooting/magic with scouting bsb thanes that can force opponents to charge the squad ( RoChallenge c: ) and scouting runelords. Unless the enemy can chew through the entire unit, the only victory points available are 90 from the bolt throwers, which is not enough for a win. That army is of course very cheesy and not a lot of people would want to play against it. I strongly recommend using it vs vampire counts where you can watch your opponents reaction as his vampire smashes himself upon 135 great weapons on the first turn.