PDA

View Full Version : Codex Space Marines 1500

Fry Globes
09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
So I'm stripping and repainting my ancient assortment of astartes and wanted to make a list using the standard codex, this book has been outstripped by the blood angels in several areas so i wanted to build around one of the areas where codex space marines is still either strong or at least unique. There are a few, Vulkan, Lysander, Assault Terminators, Null Zone as well as normal chapter tactics all come to mind but I settled on the ability to field a substantial host of point-cost-effective armoured vehicles.

Librarian, Null Zone, The Avenger /// 1xx

Dreadnought, Extra Armour, Plasma Cannon, DCCW, Heavy Flamer /// 140
Dreadnought, TL Autocannon, TL Autocannon /// 125

10 Tactical Marines, Lascannon, Melta Gun, Powerfist, Combi-Melta /// 220
~ Rhino, Dozer-Blade /// 40
10 Tactical Marines, Lascannon, Melta Gun, Powerfist, Combi-Melta /// 220
~ Rhino, Dozer-Blade /// 40

5 Assault Marines, Powerfist, Flamer /// 140
~ Rhino, Dozer-Blade /// -
5 Assault Marines, Power Weapon, Flamer /// 130
~ Rhino, Dozer-Blade /// -

Vindicator, Dozer-Blade /// 120
Vindicator, Dozer-Blade /// 120
Predator Destructor, Lascannon Sponsons /// 120

/// 1500

The idea is to secure good firing ground and hopefully an objective with the two lascannon combat squads, rifleman dread and predator. Meanwhile, the rest of the army, some 7 vehicles and 20 marines, make their way forward, delaying and breaking up attacks, with a view to something surviving to contest objectives later.

The HQ seems uninspiring to me but the close combat oriented leaders aren't of too much use in this army. Trusty psychic defence and the potential for vindicator + null zone induced delights are very welcomed though.

I'd like an opinion on plasma cannon armed dreadnoughts, I like the idea of an extra ap2 weapon around that will never overheat. Extra Armour is because I re-read the rules concerning stunned walkers in cc and started getting paranoid, also this guy will probably be laggging behind the main tank line and a stun could leave him unable to support it as it moves forward.

The assault squads may seem undermanned but they're mostly to sting the enemy and slow him down for a turn as they're overrun, I can't deny the opportunity for rhinos on a 20 pt discount swayed me towards these guys but I don't feel too bad because I don't have the points for the marines only real assault units; terminators and tooled up command/vanguard squads.

The predator is an experiment, I'm hoping that it will be low down on the enemies target priorities and thus get the chance to utilise it's firepower without being shaken.

Any ideas from mech commanders would be welcomed, I know there's lots of different ways to approach this and would like to know if such low counts of infantry can be viable.

Wolfshade
09-27-2011, 03:59 AM
It looks a nice little list, the only thing I would suggest is to try an strim a few points off the list to upgrade one of the rhinos to a razorback for the assault squad, if can manage both, bonus as even twin-linked heavybolters are quite effective.

Would it be better to have a twin-linked lascannon & heavy bolter predator rather than having the lascannons on the side since you'll probably only get to fire one sponson each turn may aswell put it on the top and get a re-roll, but that is all personal preferance.

The other thing I love about codex space marine armies vs codex blood angels is there ability to put thunderfire cannon, I wish my BAs could take it. Though that doesn't fit into the theme of your army.