PDA

View Full Version : New Tyranid fandex - Looking for contributors.

radarbabyeater
09-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey, long-time lurker and reader here.

I'm interested in assembling a Tyranid fandex for fun. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to even post something like this in, so please redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.

I was also wondering if there were any like-minded people who have some ideas and want to be included. The goal is to create a hybrid fandex that brings together features from pre-existing codices and the current codex.

Here are just some initial ideas I have, feel free to comment or expand on them:

-Reworking Instinctive Behaviour.
-Creating a Tyranid-specific universal special rule. (Example: Every unit could have the Tyranid special rule. This could grant the USR Fleet and Move Through Cover.)
-Reintroducing Living Ammunition, Strength X/Assault X weapons.
-Creating a new weapon type, Caustic, that "softens" up enemies for an ensuing assault.
-Additions of new Tyranid units.
-Removal/reworking of old or unfavorable Tyranid untis.

It's a work in-progress, so just reply if you have suggestions, comments, input or whatever.

JxKxR
09-23-2011, 11:30 AM
You should probable have put this in the Home brewed rules section but any way... For your weapon that softens units up for assault I'd like to suggest this: Range 18" Strength 3 AP 0 Assault 2 special rule- When a unit is shot with this gun it is covered in "Tyranid cat nip" and drives assaulting tyranids crazy, Any tyranid unit who assaults the effected unit gains plus 1 initiative. Maybe it's a start, just give me some time and I'll try to come up with some more.

radarbabyeater
09-23-2011, 11:37 AM
You should probable have put this in the Home brewed rules section but any way...

Sorry, I didn't even notice the Home Brew forum down there until just now. If a moderator wants to move this thread, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have some ideas that I'm working on at the moment. I'll post 'em after lunch.

radarbabyeater
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Weapon Types:

Living: A nod to the Tyranid 4th edition codex. It's fluffy, it's fun and I don't think you'll find a Tyranid player anywhere who didn't like this special rule. I think we can agree to keep the rule similar to the original:

Living: Any failed roll To Wound made by a weapon with living ammunition may be re-rolled.

My stipulation to changing this rule would be that the re-roll must always be made, so the rule would look something like this:

Living: Any failed roll To Wound made by a weapon with the Living special rule must be re-rolled.

Caustic: Something of my own creation, though I'm sure it's not original. There is considerable mention throughout every Tyranid codex of the efficacy of their acids. Strong enough to burn through both organic and inorganic material with relative ease, yet never implemented in-game.

Now this is my prototype idea, feel free to critisize or improve:

Caustic:

Against vehicles: A enemy vehicle that suffers a glancing or penetrating hit from a weapon with the Caustic special rule during the Tyranid Shooting Phase will suffer a +1 modifier to any damage sustained in the subsequent Tyranid Assault Phase. This effect lasts until the end of the Tyranid Assault Phase. This effect is not cumulative.

How it works: Tyranids with Caustic weapons unload on a enemy vehicle, hitting hit several times and scoring a glancing/penetrating hit. Regular damage ensues. In the subsequent Tyranid Assault Phase, some other Tyranids assault said vehicle. They hit and score some glancing/penetrating hits. For each roll on the Vehicle Damage Chart, the result is modified by +1. So, a 3 becomes a 4, a 1 becomes a 2, etc.

Against non-vehicles: A enemy unit that suffers casualties or a model that suffers a wound from a weaponw ith the Caustic special rule during the Tyranid Shooting Phase will suffer a -1 modifier to their Armor Save in the subsequent Tyranid Assault Phase. This effect lasts until the end of the Tyranid Assault Phase. This effect is not cumulative. Caustic weapons have no effect on Invulnerable Armor Saves.

How it works: Similar to the above, a Tyranid unit unloads on a enemy unit or model, hitting and causing some wounds. If the enemy unit or model successfully make their Armor Saves, the vitriolic acids have failed to take effect. If the enemy unit or model fail some saves and take casualties or suffer wounds, the effect kicks in and in the ensuing assault will suffer -1 to their Armor Saves. So a Tau Firewarrior unit that has taken casualties in this way would have a 5+ SV in the Tyranid Assault Phase, generic Space Marines would have a 4+ SV, etc.

I would point out that, although the effect is not cumulative, that an enemy unit or model may be shot at by several different Tyranid units with Caustic weapons and that sustaining a casualty or wound from any of it will result in the penalty to that units' Armor Save for that Tyranid Assault Phase.

Comments, suggestions, concerns are most welcome.

More to come.

radarbabyeater
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry for the crappy format. Copy and paste from Word is meh. Any C&C is welcome. Figured I'd start with the basic infantry selection first.

-TROOPS-

Tyranid Termagant brood … 4 points per model

WS BS S T W I A LD SV
3 3 3 3 1 4 1 6 6+

Unit Composition:
· 10-30 Termagants

Unit Type:
· Infantry

Equipment:
· Carapace
· Claws and Teeth

Special Rules:
· Tyranid
· Instinctive Behavior – Lurk

Dedicated Transport:
· If the unit consists of 20 models or less, including unit additions, then you may select a Mycetic Spore as a Dedicated Transport choice. A unit that has selected the Scuttling or Without Number options may not select a Mycetic Spore as a Dedicated Transport choice. Refer to the Mycetic Spore entry for additional information.

-Mycetic Spore … +30 points

UNIT OPTIONS

· The unit must select one of the following:
-Devourers … +3 points per model
-Fleshborers … +1 point per model

· The unit may select the following:

Defensive Upgrades
-Reinforced Carapace … +2 points per model
-Spine Banks … +1 point per model

Offensive Upgrades
-Adrenal Glands … +1 point per model
-Toxin Sacs … +1 point per model

· The unit may select one of the following:
-Scuttling … +2 points per model
-Without Number … +3 points per model

UNIT ADDITIONS
If the unit has selected the Scuttling or Without Number options, then no unit additions may be selected.

· Up to three Venomthropes may be selected. Refer to the Venomthrope entry for additional information.
-Venomthropes … +35 points per model

· Up to nine Ripper Swarms may be selected. Refer to the Ripper Swarms entry for additional information.
-Ripper Swarms … +10 points per model

Special Rules:

Scuttling
A unit that has selected the Scuttling option gains the benefit of the Scouts USR.

Without Number
A unit that has selected the Without Number option may re-enter play via the Reserves special rule during the subsequent Tyranid turn if it is destroyed by any method. A unit that re-enters play via Without Number no longer counts as a Scoring Unit.

Notes:

Tyranid
All Tyranids gain the benefits of the Fleet and Move Through Cover USR.

Devourers
Range Strength AP Special
18” S-1 - Assault 2X, Pinning, Living

Fleshborers
Range Strength AP Special
12” S+1 6 Assault X, Living

-----
Notes:

Reinforced Carapace
The model gains a 5+ Armor Save.

Spine Banks
The model counts as being equipped with Assault Grenades.

Adrenal Glands
The model gains the benefit of the Furious Charge USR.

Toxin Sacs
The models close combat attacks count as being Poisoned (4+).

You cannot purchase Venomthropes or Ripper Swarms as separate units any more. They are unit additions (think Kroot Hounds and Krootox to Kroot Carnivore squads) to Termagant and Hormagaunt broods.

radarbabyeater
10-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Hate to rattle my own thread, but does anybody have any input at all? :3

CrimsonTurkey
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I think the harpy should gain an attack and drop in price a bit.

There should be a hormagaunt spawning tervigon equivalent.

Pyrovores should be free ;)

I'd like to see spore mines have a low LD. If they pass their LD check at the beginning of the movement phase the player should be allowed to move them. They do have nerves and such and if I were the hive mind I'd make them heat-seeking.

Primes should be able to pod in with warriors or take wings to join shrikes.

I'd like to be able to assault from trygon tunnels. It's not like the buggies would be very disoriented running out of a tunnel. It would also still be a static entry point so it would not be as broken as assaulting after DSing.