PDA

View Full Version : New FW DE and a familair looking Land Raider

DrLove42
09-16-2011, 08:38 AM
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/tantelousev.jpg

£85 & rules in IA Apoc 2....

First crafted, so it is said, for the Archon Surasis Grief of the Kabal of the Dark Mirror, the Dark Eldar Tantalus is an assault skimmer, somewhat larger and more complex in design than the Raider, and accordingly better armed. Its distinctive twin-hulled design houses powerful engine-reactors slaved to enhanced drives and its unique scythevane armament.
One of the largest Dark Eldar vehicles yet encountered by the Imperial war machine, the cruel reavers who crew this sleek engine of destruction take delight in mounting high-speed attacks, slicing through the hulls of enemy vehicles and rending infantry into crimson shreds, heralded by the screech of the molecular dissonance fields of its scythevanes and the rapid fire of its pulse-disintegrator armament.
The Tantelus, designed by Daren Parrwood, is a detailed full resin kit that includes a set of etched brass deck panels. Measuring nearly 11” from prow to stern, this twin-hulled vehicle is a great addition to any Dark Eldar army. With its full rules contained within the forthcoming Imperial Armour Apocalypse Second Edition, the Tantalus will be available in limited numbers from the Forge World Sales stand at Games Day UK, priced £85.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/lrproteusev.jpg

£80...maybe with new rules?

The Land Raider is perhaps the most iconic of all Imperial armoured vehicles. Its distinctive silhouette is recognisable to foe and ally alike, announcing the indomitable presence of the Adeptus Astartes, the heroic and super-human Space Marines. Many patterns and designs of this honoured and ancient war machine exist across the myriad worlds of the Imperium, and among the oldest of such designs is the Land Raider Proteus.
Mechanicus tech-savants believe that the Land Raider Proteus is a precursor to the Phobos pattern vehicle now found amongst the armouriums of the Adeptus Astartes. Bulkier and faster than the Phobos, ancient and forgotten data-looms describe the Proteus as a forward assault vehicle, commonly fielded in Explorator missions during the dawning days of Mankind’s fledgling galactic empire.
This full resin kit, designed by Phil Stutcinskas, is packed with some amazing details and two different hull-mounted weapon options to supplement its twin-linked sponson-mounted lascannons. Available for the first time in limited numbers at Games Day UK, the Land Raider Proteus is priced at £80.

eldargal
09-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Love the Tantalus and shall buy two as soon as I can, but personally I felt the new and improved Land Raider design was much nicer than the old one so a return to the old design isn't of much interest to me.

DrLove42
09-16-2011, 08:41 AM
The tantalus is really nice and the "fluff" description of tis rules give lots to look forward to

eldargal
09-16-2011, 09:12 AM
It does sound exciting, Reaver pilots and cutting into tanks? If it has shooting attacks as well as a Reaver style bladevane attack that works on vehicles, well that would be fantastic.

Also, I said it would be somewhere in price between a Lynx and an Engine of Vaul (Scorpion/Cobra) and I was right.:p I expected closer to one hudnred pounds actually.

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-16-2011, 09:21 AM
I think they both look really nice! :) the Tantalus has a great sillohette and look to it - had a feeling Eldargal was going to buy more than 1 the moment I saw it in my inbox :p the pre-heresy landraider is nice too - its' good for those that want to do those crusade era armies - all they need now is pre-heresy terminators, right? :)

Anggul
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
The Tantalus looks amazing. I would ask: 'Why isn't the Dais of Destruction one of these?' but Forge World are here for cool models, not for fluff.

Why would anyone buy that Land Raider when you could just ebay one of the old ones?

eldargal
09-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Because mint MKI Land Raiders sometimes exceed £80 on eBay.:)

I'm going to buy a Tantalus for my Wych cult and a Tantalus for my Kabal. As to the Dias, I think FW should actually make a Tantalus Dias datasheet or something, perhaps as a download.

GrenAcid
09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Dont care about Vect pimp raider......I want cool rules for this baby....cuting vehicles....hmmm...I WANT I WANT!

Gotthammer
09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Why would anyone buy that Land Raider when you could just ebay one of the old ones?

It's only $10 more expensive than a new Land Raider here, ha ha. The old one is also a very old model, so finding one in good condition would be hard (and it's honestly a pretty rubbish model).

Loving the Tantalus, though I wish it had a bigger deck area for posing an Archon or the like on.

Bigred
09-16-2011, 12:12 PM
What I want most is a set of minor rules that set the original Land Raider apart from its later versions.

I like the concept that its faster. My Pre-Heresy Death Guard are already smiling from ear to ear...

isotope99
09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Things I like about the new tantalus :D:

The catamaran style
The giant sail

Things I don't like :(:

The underslung blades still look the wrong scale
Lack of smaller weapons, some dark lances manned by the crew would be good. I might add some anyway for fun or some razorwing missiles
Doesn't look like it comes with the clear large flying base so it might be difficult to balance without buying extra styrene rods etc.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/FW/tantelousev.jpg

JMichael
09-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Indeed I recently sold one of my Mk1 Land Raiders (not quite in mint condition, and poorly painted) for $80USD
My Spartan Land Raider...well that will stay with me!

I really like that they are making the old style Land Raider, and it looks a little longer and larger than the original Mk1.

Emerald Rose Widow
09-16-2011, 06:36 PM
OH GOD, another freking beautiful model that makes me want to frelling play dark eldar next, blast it all

flekkzo
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
What I want most is a set of minor rules that set the original Land Raider apart from its later versions.

I like the concept that its faster. My Pre-Heresy Death Guard are already smiling from ear to ear...

13 13 14 armor
Fast
10 capacity
Power of the machine spirit

Voila :)

AnEnemy
09-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I have trouble getting excited about models without rules. Especially when they're over 100USD.

w7west
09-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Probably looks cooler IRL (tantalus). Still not too impressed with the looks of FW dark eldar vehicles. I get that they are trying to make everything looks like a boat but maybe do something a little bit different. I really like the look of venoms and razorwings, would like to see some FW that is more flying looking, less pirate ship. Pirate plane?? Yes please but stop putting sails and keel blades on my planes ty.

This is still pretty nice, much better than w/e that thing was with a sail on a haywire blaster, wtf?

Emerald Rose Widow
09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Probably looks cooler IRL (tantalus). Still not too impressed with the looks of FW dark eldar vehicles. I get that they are trying to make everything looks like a boat but maybe do something a little bit different. I really like the look of venoms and razorwings, would like to see some FW that is more flying looking, less pirate ship. Pirate plane?? Yes please but stop putting sails and keel blades on my planes ty.

This is still pretty nice, much better than w/e that thing was with a sail on a haywire blaster, wtf?

awww, but i liked that model

eldargal
09-16-2011, 11:25 PM
What? They fit in with the DE aesthetic perfectly, their ships are based on the pleasure yachts and skiffs of the Eldar Empire. They have solar sails because that is how they gather the fuel from the webway portals. They aren't planes, the Razorwing and Voidraven are. Looking at the various DE art I would say vehicles without sails are in a definite minority.

Do it, you know you want to. Dark Eldar are fantastic.:p

OH GOD, another freking beautiful model that makes me want to frelling play dark eldar next, blast it all

DrLove42
09-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Lack of smaller weapons, some dark lances manned by the crew would be good. I might add some anyway for fun or some razorwing missiles

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/drlove42/IMG00356-20110403-1439.jpg

This is the original mock up from the FW open day earlier this year. You can clearly see a dark lance position, so either

a) it is still there, but because its the other side we can't see it
b) they tried with smaller weapons and changed their minds

Gotthammer
09-17-2011, 01:28 PM
By the looks of it it seems like the raider gunner is visible just behind the sail. You probably only get one gun as it uses the Raider kit for parts.

Anggul
09-17-2011, 02:39 PM
(and it's honestly a pretty rubbish model).

Yeah, and it looks the same as this one. Why anyone would pay so much for a bad model is bizzare. It's not like they've taken a retro models and made it look all pretty, they've barely changed it, it still looks bad compared to the current one, rather than just different.

Dont care about Vect pimp raider

Everyone must care about the pimp-mobile of Commoragh. I wanted a Tantalus anyway, but I'm definitely making it epically over-the-top and, well... Vecty.

Gotthammer
09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I was meaning rubbish in terms of quality of build, not appearance. It's not very detailed and rather fragile, especially the weapon attach points.

I actually rather like the design.

Emerald Rose Widow
09-20-2011, 12:25 AM
What? They fit in with the DE aesthetic perfectly, their ships are based on the pleasure yachts and skiffs of the Eldar Empire. They have solar sails because that is how they gather the fuel from the webway portals. They aren't planes, the Razorwing and Voidraven are. Looking at the various DE art I would say vehicles without sails are in a definite minority.

Do it, you know you want to. Dark Eldar are fantastic.:p

I KNOW, but i still has the bugs to finish.