PDA

View Full Version : Best tournament format - surprisingly GW ToS...

Denzark
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Having considered many comments, threads and main page posts, including Goatboy's latest on tournaments, I must respectfully contend that the best format I am aware of, is GW's own Throne of Skulls, as per 2009. I went in 2010 and they had made changes which many thought were poo.

I say this because that format covers most of the major queries or gripes about about tournaments:

Soft Scores.
ToS has a painter award, voted for by all the tournament participants. Recognises brush skills (appropriately) but does not affect tournament winner - purely based on winning games.
As for army comp, you were restricted to normal force org. You could act within the confines of your codex. I like this, it is unambiguous, creates an even playing field. I trust more the balance factor of the codexes as written rather than the subjective opinion of some no-GW tourney organiser who may slant it any which way. Army lists maxed or fluffy make no difference to what counts - skill and luck of the dice.

Timing/points cost.
2:15 at 1500. this may have gone up since to 1750. Included set up time. Unambiguous. You cannot have all your toys, true - but this is not about emptying the contents of your pram on the table - it is about demonstrating strategy (small s) including team selection. At the end of 2:15, you could always try to get to the end of any game turn - I never heard of a nob trying a go slow, and 1500 was in the designers notes of 3rd ed (I believe) as the sweet spot at which the game in its current format is to be played. But there was a harsh turnaround for next game - and most people appreciated an early look at their next table in case there was a terrain advantage to be had. A massive flat screen showed the count down (I think it was 135 power point slides cycling at one per minute - I would have hated having to put that together). 1500 allows for a completion in this time, hordes and all.

Scoring.
Simple. Used to play 6 games, 2 of each format in BRB. Set up given to you. 30 for a win, 10 for a ddraw, 1 for a loss. Ties decided by VPs, as were eventual standings. No primary tertiary quadry septary objectives bollocks. Multiple mission objectives I feel advantage hordes - as you can split your forces down more. At the end of the day no matter how hard the deathstar guns, it can still only shoot at 1 unit a turn. No arguing, and no factoring in soft scores.

The changes that were caca was introducing rankings by army list, a proportionate scoring where you compared agaisnt the mean performance for your race, and deciders being based on how ornate your army list is - I mean please chaps, its not bloody Tony Hart is it?

So to avoid tournament complaints queries gripes, I say:

1. Keep obj simple - stick to rule book.
2. Keep point limit down - try without the crutch.
3. No soft scores.

Oh and finally prize support. Its for the glory, not the plastic crack you probably have too much of waiting to be painted. Just be happy with a moral victory and bragging rights you nasty little mercenaries you.

Out.