PDA

View Full Version : Super Dungeon Explore Candy and Cola

odinsgrandson
09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
At Gencon, Sodapop miniatures was selling a limited edition hero to use in their upcomming board game "Super Dungeon Explore."

Well, I got a request from wittdooley to post up my version of her on Bols, and I just wasn't sure which forum she'd fit in. So, she's here- the 40k forums win out for being the busiest.

On a side note- I posted her up on CMON (http://www.coolminiornot.com/286834?browseid=133655) to see what would happen, and it looks like this style isn't terribly well received over there.

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/soda-pop/candy-and-cola.jpg

The game itself should be shipping out next week or so.

eldargal
09-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm both titillated and vaguely disturbed at the same time.:rolleyes:

To keep it relevent for 40k, just say she is a counts as DE Succubus.

DrLove42
09-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I took one look at the thread title and had a mini WTF moment...

wittdooley
09-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Dude, eff the pretentious snobs over at CMON. You know half the people that vote over there play all their games with grey plastic or bare metal. I think she looks fantastic. The eyes in particular look really wonderful.

I'm trying to get my sculptor buddy to sculpt a SDE-compatible chibi of some League of Legends characters so I can make custom cards for them. I'll let you know how that progresses :)

sukigod
09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
On a side note- I posted her up on CMON (http://www.coolminiornot.com/286834?browseid=133655) to see what would happen, and it looks like this style isn't terribly well received over there.

This type of miniature us right up a lot of CMON posters alley (who do you think distributes the most Soda Pop minis?). I wouldn't even think about putting any weight into the score until you're sitting around 50+ votes.

Honestly, for the quality of work, even at 18 votes (currently) I think it's sitting about right at 6.4. The gradations in color are a bit rough. Surprising though as a look through your gallery yields some rally fantastic and smoothly painted minis. Not sure why you used such a simplistic style on this one.

Cute mini though.

Lane
09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Painting Score is meaningless in this case.

Sure there are better styles of painting but the one you chose is perfect for the mini.

odinsgrandson
09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
This type of miniature us right up a lot of CMON posters alley (who do you think distributes the most Soda Pop minis?). I wouldn't even think about putting any weight into the score until you're sitting around 50+ votes.

Honestly, for the quality of work, even at 18 votes (currently) I think it's sitting about right at 6.4. The gradations in color are a bit rough. Surprising though as a look through your gallery yields some rally fantastic and smoothly painted minis. Not sure why you used such a simplistic style on this one.

Cute mini though.

You know, I think I agree with you overall. Generally, I like the voting over at CMON, and I think it is a wonderful place to get a quick gut style reaction to a work.

The things that skew the voting are often the size, not style, of the piece. It is far harder to get a high score on a smaller mini than on a larger one- mostly because in this case the size of the photograph is so much larger than the mini. In the photo, this mini looks extremely simple, and the blending looks kind of rough. In person, this isn't so much of a problem.

Now, my very top rated pieces are mostly larger minis from Forgeworld or Armorcast. I do have some high rated minis that aren't larger, but the bigger ones tend to be the highest.

wittdooley
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd happily invite you to paint my Candy & Cola Chibi.

sukigod
09-12-2011, 11:08 AM
In the photo, this mini looks extremely simple, and the blending looks kind of rough. In person, this isn't so much of a problem.

I completely agree with this assessment. Smaller minis need "bigger" photos making all the "mistakes" even easier to see :)

Very nice work overall and I love most of the work in your gallery. Sweet stuff.

wittdooley
09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah...bear in mind the picture of this mini is about 4 times the actual size.

celestialatc
09-12-2011, 12:14 PM
When does Super Dungeon Explore come out? I saw this demo'ed at PAX East but I have yet to see a date other than "2011".

archimbald
09-12-2011, 12:53 PM
would you mind doing a tuit on these style of minis, as i own two, and theyre tiny, and im kinda scared to start incase i screw up the detail, on the other hand, the detail youve put in is awesome esp on a truescale 28mm fig

have lots of love

wittdooley
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
When does Super Dungeon Explore come out? I saw this demo'ed at PAX East but I have yet to see a date other than "2011".

According to Soda Pop, GenCon pre-orders should begin shipping this week. They've got the in store release tentatively slated for the end of October.

odinsgrandson
09-21-2011, 09:24 AM
According to Soda Pop, GenCon pre-orders should begin shipping this week. They've got the in store release tentatively slated for the end of October.

The last date I heard had the PAX and Gencon pre-orders arriving in a week or two. I can see it taking another month to get the finished games to the distributer, then to the stores.

wittdooley
09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, this is no longer the case. I got an email from they telling me my GENCON preorder wouldn't even ship until the 2nd week of November.

Really, really disappointing.