PDA

View Full Version : Orders to artillery units?

Advachiel
09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I play death korps of krieg and have access to both IG orders and artillery units. My question is, can i give an order such as 'bring it down' or 'fire on my target' to an artillery piece. Keep this in mind in the rulebook:

*roughly stated* A single crewmember may fire no other guns this turn and may instead fire the artillery weapon if it hasnt moved.

This implies to me that it is the PERSON firing the gun, i.e. has a leadership value, and not the 'vehicle' itself. Discuss

rogue.trader.voril
09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Ig faq:

Q. Can orders be issued to allied Witch Hunter and/or Deamonhunter units?

A. No, orders can only be issued to non-vehicle units from Codex: Imperial Guard. ...More to this, but not pertinent to discussion...

Advachiel
09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I am aware of this, however, artillery units are not vehicle units, they are artillery units, composed of infantry and a single vehicle in one squad.

Ssyrie
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I am aware of this, however, artillery units are not vehicle units, they are artillery units, composed of infantry and a single vehicle in one squad.

I believe those rules were for non vehicle heavy weapons that aren't directly carried by an individual. Like the support weapon batteries that the eldar use. But the IG artillery unit type is listed as Vehicle, not artillery. So you can't give them orders.

Advachiel
09-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Here is the link to the 5th edition Krieg codex for anyone who didn't see the update a year or so ago:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/k/kreig.pdf

You can see, I take earthshaker artillery pieces, NOT IG Basilisk equivalent, which are vehicles, my entry is artillery. The thing that gets me is my guys can move around(albeit wouldnt be able to fire the earthshaker that round I believe?), go to ground, shoot lasguns, and have a leadership value, so... why not orders?

weeble1000
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Well, you're using a Forgeworld book and referencing a GW FAQ. If you want to give the unit orders, if you think it makes sense, go ahead. Is it okay within the rules? I would have to so no, but that is based on the GW FAQ which is just that, an FAQ, not an errata. Units from the Krieg codex are not from Codex: Imperial Guard. Orders can only be issued to units from Codex: Imperial Guard based on the FAQ.

I doubt this issue is going to be coming up in a tournament, so I would just go with what you think is fun and appropriate. Codex: Imperial Guard doesn't really provide any solid guidance about the artillery units you're talking about because it wasn't written to mesh with those rules. It would require a judgement call, but Games Workshop's judgement would probably be "No" based on the FAQ.

Demonus
09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
can you issue orders to artillery in the regular IG codex?

Advachiel
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback Weeble. It is a tough call, primarily because all of the orders do still work for the squad and the gun firing ( fire on my target and bring it down would both work with the gun for instance, Move move move being the only one that wouldnt work until the artillery gun was destroyed)

@ Demonus: The IG codex has no artillery units, which is why this issue became more complex.

Hive Mind
09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Orders can only be issued to units from Codex: Imperial Guard based on the FAQ.

The Krieg PDF says that Orders can be issued to Death Korps.

Mr.Pickelz
09-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I would allow you to use orders on them as your ordering the infantry and not the vehicle as the faq states.:)

Hive Mind
09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I've been thinking about this and I see no reason at all why the Order couldn't be issued and work as normal per RAW. No part of the Krieg artillery units are Vehicles IIRC.

Per RAI there's no way it would fly.