PDA

View Full Version : Ordo Xenos, and Deathwatch.

Dalleron
09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
First off, this is just a random question that popped into my head a couple days ago, not a gripe or complaint.

If the Grey Knight codex is doubling as "The Inquisition Codex", where is/are the Deathwatch. Shouldn't they be in there, as they are part of the Ordo Xenos? Not that they need to be in the codex mind you.

Thoughts?

eldargal
09-08-2011, 12:35 AM
They sort of are, Inquisitor Valeria of the Ordo Xenos is in there. Deathwatch aren't, I guess you would have to do counts as GK.

MaltonNecromancer
09-08-2011, 04:23 AM
The Deathwatch are basically regular marines. It's simply the case that they're all veterans, and equipped with better weaponry.

I have a Deathwatch army, and it doesn't need a codex of it's own. If you take Kantor, he makes Sternguard Squads (which are marine veterans with better weaponry) into Troops. I play the army without any regular tactical squads at all.

As for models, well, we have plastic Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Black Templars, and Blood Angels, as well as metal parts for a massive variety of chapters. Hence why I play Deathwatch; I pretty much like all the marines except Space Wolves.

It also means you can legitimately proxy any marine army (because it does contain the "right" models). Anyone asks how the BA are using SW tactics? The squad has a SW sergeant. (The Deathwatch RPG allows it, so I don't see why the wargame shouldn't :D)

My army: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=16716

lattd
09-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Kantor makes sternguard scoring not troops just to point out, but yea the sternguard vets are the closest thing to death watch.

jeffersonian000
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
The easiest way to model an Death Watch army is with the standard Space Marine codex. Take squads of Sternguard for the Death Watch Kill team(s), a Captain or Librarian as the team's commander, Scouts for IST, vehicles to soot your playstyle, and pretty much any SC as an OX Inquistor. Paint and play.

SJ

Thornblood
09-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry to be a Troll, but Malton, i'm not sure if your army works.

I have a Deathwatch army, and it doesn't need a codex of it's own. If you take Kantor, he makes Sternguard Squads (which are marine veterans with better weaponry) into Troops. I play the army without any regular tactical squads at all.[/url]

Kantor actually makes them into scoring units- i.e. they can claim objectives- not turn them into troops choices (like a captain on bike makes SM bikes troops choices). So they still count as your elites choices, so you can have 0-3 of them. You still need two troops choices in your force organization chart- so thats tactical marines or scouts.

However the army I've seen on that link looks amazing. Great job on the modeling side Malton.

But yeah, When this edition of the SM codex rocked up, instead of having veteran squads with hundreds of different options we had the two new specialized veteran squads. The Sternguard represent deathwatch very well and have gone as far as having shot-selector bolters. The Sternguard idea is somewhat missing the close combat prowess and psychic capabilities of the older Deathwatch squads though.

Sternguard also have elements of other ranged marine veterans from a variety of ages, editions and the like.