PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms Finecast Pricing

wittdooley
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Because people seem to complain when something a company does something "wrong", but never point out when they do something "right," I just want to bring to attention that many of the GW Ogre Kingdoms Finecast models went down in price:

Tyrant - Was: $45; Now: $38 in Finecast, with extra bits (which, by the way, allow you to make another Tyrant/Bruiser when using a basic Ogre kit)
Yhetees - Was $22.25 a piece; Now: $49.00 in Finecast for 3 (that's a 26% price reduction)
Ogre Maneaters - Was $24.75; Now $24.75 in Finecast

Further, the boxed set is priced at $105, a $35 dollar savings from the retail cost (assuming that are $10/model as the present pricing would indicate).

Also, kudos to GW for including, and subsequently RECOMMENDING ON THEIR WEBSITE, that one can make a hunter with leftover bits from the Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit when coupled with a regular Ogre body.

However, all my LGSs seemed to have trouble getting product in. What gives?!

evcameron
09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I completely agree, far too often the things GW does right get overlooked, while every little thing the community perceives as wrong as wrong gets trumpeted around. Thank for pointing out the good and thank you GW!

lobster-overlord
09-06-2011, 08:06 PM
... but I balked at these....

Bragg is $38 and only includes 3 parts. Not a $38 value, nor is Golgfag. Great sculpts though.

I agree on the tyrant going down. But if you look at the maneaters and the butcher, their price before the recent price hike was $20 and $30 respectively ($33 after hike), and the Butcher went to $38 with the new FC, and the maneater's price was already raised once this year.

ANd is the $105 price worth just two more bull bodies over last year this time when th set included 24 gnobos and was only $90?

All in all, a great set of releases, but pricing is still a tad on the wonky side.

John M>my metal tyrant had better detail too....

pauljc
09-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Good news. I was planning on starting OK for poops and giggles.

One reason you might be having trouble getting the new releases *could* be due to GW's new marketting policy. I won't go into discussing it, because even though I hate it as an independant retailer, I understand why.

Basically, shops aren't getting release info until about 1-2 weeks in advance. That makes it really hard for us to plan and market upcoming products. Just gotta adapt I guess. As an example, there was a sales personnel change here in the Scandinavia/Baltics region where I have a store, and because of this, I had 3 days to place an order for the new OK stuff. Needless to say, 3 days is not enough time to get a GW shipment from UK to Finland...

So yeah, it could be that your LGS is trying to adapt to the new system. Ask 'em, 'cus I don't really know how it relates to the US and other non-EU territories. :)

Lord Castellan
09-07-2011, 09:29 AM
... but I balked at these....

Bragg is $38 and only includes 3 parts. Not a $38 value, nor is Golgfag. Great sculpts though.

I agree on the tyrant going down. But if you look at the maneaters and the butcher, their price before the recent price hike was $20 and $30 respectively ($33 after hike), and the Butcher went to $38 with the new FC, and the maneater's price was already raised once this year.

ANd is the $105 price worth just two more bull bodies over last year this time when th set included 24 gnobos and was only $90?

All in all, a great set of releases, but pricing is still a tad on the wonky side.

John M>my metal tyrant had better detail too....

Well ok but the good is still important. Some things are going to be a bit more expensive and models that have brand new molds are of course going to be more expensive because GW has to pay for the mold. So dont even ***** about that part.

Though I will agree about the Battalion. The price rose and the value dropped, I know at my local store everyone who was starting Ogres bought out the old Battalions like crazy while they could.

Its like GW is almost trying to phase Battalions out. They're going from 90 buck boxes with amazing value to start or expand an army to expensive showcases that would almost be cheaper to buy the models individually. Hell the Beastmen box only saves 20 bucks as is, and once it gets redone itll probably net zero savings. The Dwarf Battalion saves NOTHING.

I guess its the same reason they got rid of Megaforces, theyd rather sell the boxes individually than lose money on boxed sets.

Mr.Pickelz
09-07-2011, 10:17 AM
With dwarves you save about 20-30$ USD over buying the boxes individually.;)

Lord Azaghul
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Honestly I'm surprised at ANY Price reduction from GW...maybe sales are finally starting to suffer...

wittdooley
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
$38 is rather large price for the character models, but they're probably worth it, particularly when compared to their market comparables. The models are very large and chock full of detail. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that Golgfag is only $38. Dude is huge.

@Lord Az -- I don't know that it's sales suffering as much as it is GW balancing out their pricing. They indicated orginally with the launch of Finecast that using the resin would allow them to do so; maybe this is first we're seeing of it.

As for the Battalions: I couldn't be happier. The value is really great, and I have no interest in using Gnoblars so I didn't want the old Battalion anyways :P

Lord Azaghul
09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
As for the Battalions: I couldn't be happier. The value is really great, and I have no interest in using Gnoblars so I didn't want the old Battalion anyways :P

careful there wittdooley, I'm starting to wonder if you work for GW! :p

wittdooley
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Heh, I'm playing Ogres expressly so I can have a low model count fantasy army. Gnoblars are a pretty clear antithesis to that notion.

elmir
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Heh, I'm playing Ogres expressly so I can have a low model count fantasy army. Gnoblars are a pretty clear antithesis to that notion.

Given the recent love that GW has been giving to fantasy, doing a good line of ogre releases might be one of the best things for the game yet.

The biggest drawback that fantasy has (and the main reason why I have a hard time convincing others to give it a go) is the high model count and associated cost for a good game. This army adresses that nicely and might convince people to try the "new" fantasy edition... :)